Khalil Mack traded to the Bears (Page 19)

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

No matter how long I think about it and try to be positive, I don't see anything good about this trade. When you draft someone, you WANT them to be KHALIL MACK... and then we finally have him, a future hall of famer, and we trade him because we can't afford him? BS....should have paid the man, he deserved it more than anyone on our team. 

Guess we'll have to see what these 1st round picks end up being. I think without Mack we don't really have a shot at the playoffs this year but I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I’m not happy about it either, but there are a few positives I’ve tried to come up with.  We will have $50+mil in cap space next year with 47 guys under contract and over $120mil in space the year we move to Vegas.  Add in an extra 1st round pick each of the next two off seasons and at least there will be buzz and excitement around the draft and FA.  Obviously we can only hope that one of those picks turns into anything close to Mack, but we will have room to make some positive moves.

15 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Unless he bombs this year, NO WAY Greedy is gonna get out of the top 10. 6'2", ultra athletic shadow corner with ball skills who can play boundary or slot. He's the top CB prospect for 2019 right now

I generally feel like I agree with you on a lot of topics Riceman but we need to stop saying 'player A is a lock here' or 'no way X,Y or Z will be available at our spot'. There are literally hundreds of ways he can fall out of the top 10............below expected levels of performance, average combine, misdemeanour, minor injury, reported character issue, other players nailing the combine and shooting up draft boards etc. etc. There are many players every year who fall for whatever reason. Just look who was available at our spot this year that we were told wouldn't be there - James, Fitzpatrick, Vea, Edmunds and who we took in round 5 that no-one saw coming!

I should qualify this by saying I have no inside scoop in the Raiders organization or the Mack situation.
     That said, I'm starting to think that Mack and his agent had decided that he wasn't going to play until/unless he got a new deal. He already willingly amassed quite a sum in fines from missing training camp and preseason, and it was pretty clear before (and crystal clear after) the Donald deal that he wanted top dollar and to be the highest-payed defensive player in the league regardless if it put the organization in a bind with the future cap. Prior to the trade, it would have made perfect sense for the Raiders to franchise tag him UNLESS they already knew he would refuse to show up if they did.
     That's not to say I'm entirely happy with the trade itself. I wouldn't have given the Bears any picks at all -- giving them just Mack for what they gave us would have been perfectly fair (I personally would have asked for their 2019/2020/2021 1st-round picks myself before parting with #52). That's also not to say that maybe this trade wasn't just a Gruden ego trip. Perhaps that's all it was, IDK. I just have a feeling that if this trade happened a month or two from now, Mack wouldn't have played a single snap for us and the fan base would have a different opinion (and a different villain) on how/why the trade went down. I just don't see how Gruden justifies this to Reggie or Mark (which assumes he even had to) unless all three men already knew Mack wasn't going to play at all until he got what he wanted.
     Just my (perhaps inaccurate) $0.02.

When it comes to the Khalil Mack trade.

We have one group of the 'Nation' that thinks we should have flat out just paid him.

Then another group saying we should have let him hold out. When he finally reports, play out the season under the tender, tag him next 2 years, then let him walk or resign him (if he even would after doing him like that) when he is on the wrong side of 30.

Then some that say it's the best logical move not to pay 2 players that much of the cap, and while not happy with the compensationare, are happy they got something for him rather then watching him walk in free agency.

But theres 1 thing we are can all agree on... here's to hoping the bears go 0-16.

GO Raiders!!!!!!

Archived