Which WR is/was greater? Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald

mdonnelly21

66 members have voted

1. 1. Greater WR of All Time?

I mean, I can see the argument for Fitz when considering longevity.  However, peak vs peak, it’s Johnson with no hesitation from me.  Johnson was playoffs Fitzgerald, except for the entire year.

It’s a bit closer taking everything into account, but Johnson played long enough (while maintaining his dominance) for me to feel comfortable saying he was better.

Calvin Johnson. I think Larry Fitzgerald has gotten too much credit recently. He hasn't been a top 5 WR in what 7 years? How many of those years has he even been top 10? How many years was Calvin not top 5? He was a better player at their peak and was the consensus #1 a lot longer than Fitz was (who was competing with Andre for the top spot).

When it comes to longevity, didn't Calvin take the Barry Sanders route out of Detroit? Anyone not think Calvin could of played 2-3 more years if motivated by a winning team?

Love Fitz, but give me Calvin all day every day. Guy was a physical specimen and near unguardable in his prime. 

Larry Fitzgerald easily. Megatron had 2 seasons that Larry will never compare to, but outside of that they're peaks are comparable AND there's a significant gap in longevity. You guys keep saying peak like there's a solid 5 year difference that Larry can't compete with.

I think what sets Calvin Johnson apart from Fitzgerald and virtually every other receiver to ever play the game aside from maybe Randy Moss, is the combination of super human physical gifts and an uncanny ability to catch the football. Lots of players have had the ability to catch the ball, and lots of players have had the physical gifts, but really only Megatron and Moss have shown football skills that come close to matching their physical talents. 

Calvin Johnson was like a Madden football "Create-a-Player" that you made into a 6'5 240lbs WR with 99's in every category.  I can only claim to be an armchair scout for the last 20 years, but in that time Calvin Johnson remains the most God-like prospect/player I have ever seen.  He was a man among boys in college, measured up like he got the super soldier serum from Captain America when he went to the combine (I still remember him dropping a 4.35 forty in some random dudes cleats on a whim), and within almost no time in the NFL was dubbed "Megatron" and backed up the name so well that even opponents started just referring to him as that. 

No disrespect to Larry Fitzgerald (he is a definite HOF'er in my book), but Calvin Johnson was truly a Greek Demi-God of ancient legend. At times it seemed like regardless of the defense or number of defenders assigned to him, he still would make a play that mere mortals couldn't even comprehend. As a man of science I have a hard time saying there will never be another one like him, but he is so truly special that there may actually never be another player like him. 

By no means am I saying he's the greatest player of all time, I'm just saying he's the most gifted player that could actually play football that I've ever seen. 

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Megatron, when comparing all time greats we shouldn't be edging people out based on non prime years. 

2011 and 2012 were the only years he was far and away better though. It's not like he had 5 or 6 seasons of play that was above and beyond everyone else. Antonio Brown's is currently having a longer prime than Megatron.

Archived