Oren Burks?

n8ghee

Oren Burks  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will Oren Burks be Just Another Guy, like Jake Ryan?

• Yes
    • No

He was drafted to fill the Joe Thomas role for sure, but I think he'll perform better over the long-term there. He's as fast as Thomas, but he's bigger. I watched his tape against 'Bama and he's not afraid to take on OL but he needs to shed better. I suspect the coaching staff will teach him how to use his hands quicker. His recovery speed is better than average but his motor seems a bit questionable down the stretch. He'll do well if we can keep him fresh and rotate him.

I think that he has more upside in today's NFL than Ryan.  Burks is a great athlete and very smart player who had to learn multiple roles at Vandy as he grew.

While it might be a bit rougher this year due to learning curve, in the long run, I think he will prove to be the superior player.  So it might be better than he gets the early experience this year.  Not dissimilar to how his teammate Cunningham got more reps last year with the Texans.

Agreed. He's going to have to breakdown as a tackler better, but the weaknesses I saw on tape had everything to do with technique and size. The instincts are there, the speed is certainly there, and the heart is there. Again, he needs to shed blockers better and spend a bit of time in the weightroom so his tackles are stronger.

From Packer Wire:

Coach Pettine on Oren Burks

“He’s a guy, very dedicated to his craft, wants to get better,” Pettine said. “He’s making a lot of rookie mistakes, as coach (Patrick) Graham likes to point out to him after every play. But we’re hard on him because there’s high expectations there. There’s that learning curve he’s gotta go through, but it needs to be accelerated a little bit for him looking at the roster and the current state of that room, he’s going to have to play some meaningful minutes for us. And he knows it, which is why he’s in here every day, taking coaching, taking hard coaching, and for the most part he isn’t repeating mistakes.”

Jake Ryan was one of mine and I'm a huge Ryan guy. But it's not your fathers NFL and you can stess Ryan pretty easily in coverage. Burks is much more inline with today's game though you can stress his skills just as easily by running right at him. Those numbers translate though. Burks has elite movement skills at position played on film. I don't think it's gonna take him long to figure it out either. 

2 hours ago, palmy50 said:

Jake Ryan was one of mine and I'm a huge Ryan guy. But it's not your fathers NFL and you can stess Ryan pretty easily in coverage. Burks is much more inline with today's game though you can stress his skills just as easily by running right at him. Those numbers translate though. Burks has elite movement skills at position played on film. I don't think it's gonna take him long to figure it out either. 

I was really impressed by his first interview he did. Well spoken, seems really smart. I'm a fan

11 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I was really impressed by his first interview he did. Well spoken, seems really smart. I'm a fan

Very smart young man. Some of his "views" were offsetting to some evaluators though unfortunately. I even know a few that pulled him down over it. That's the climate we live in, I guess. 

On a personal level I would never flag a kid for those reasons as long as he was articulate, thoughtful, and well spoken. Burks is all of those things. I look for him to make change both on and off the field.

3 hours ago, palmy50 said:

Do you think, in time, he is a guy that can add more mass without losing much speed or COD ability, so that he is not a weakness in run defense? I know he already has added weight from starting as a safety, just wondering if he is maxed out in that regard.

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

He did go to Vanderbilt.  It is a better school than most of us attended.

38 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Do you think, in time, he is a guy that can add more mass without losing much speed or COD ability, so that he is not a weakness in run defense? I know he already has added weight from starting as a safety, just wondering if he is maxed out in that regard.

He did go to Vanderbilt.  It is a better school than most of us attended.

So did Jay Cutler :D

It is really hard to say. I think Jake Ryan is a bad player to grade against (mediocre athlete 2 down LB). Burks tested out as the best ILB in the combine last year as a wide range of outcomes;

High end Deion Jones- Pro Bowl 3 down LB who also made a position switch and didn't grade well in college

Middle end- Joe Thomas- Niche coverage LB. Solid player, replaceable 

Low end- bust out of the league in 3 years.

His tape from college was really bad though (was like a 40 on PFF), granted though, he moved positions every year and had no experience at LB last year (similar to Jones). If he ends up somewhere between Thomas and Jones I'll be happy

Archived