Return of the GDT - 49ers vs Bovine ladies (pre season week 1)

Forge

1 minute ago, Geek said:

Julian Taylor coming out as the big winner for us today. Was an animal out there today.

Going to be hard to keep him out. Team seems reticent to give up on armstead, so could be Blair who suffers

Solomon played really well tonight before the concussion. I really liked what I saw, he was very quick off of the edge and very stout at the point of attack. Good leverage and hand usage. He had what, three tfl in 8/9 plays? 

Richie James JR was as advertised. Another late round gem for sure. 

I was watching Pettis very closely tonight, he dealt with the press better than I thought he would and had some nice separation. He got alligator arms on that one deep pass over the middle though. It will be interesting to see how he progresses as he gets more comfortable. 

Jimmy ward looked terrible. Why did he change his number? Was it so that people wouldn't know it was him who was giving up big plays? He didn't get his head around on that touchdown and was schooled by a so-so QB and a rookie WR. Just didn't look confident at all. Moore looked better to me. 

McKinnon didn't flash to me at all. I'm just not convinced he's a good running back yet. I don't know if he has the vision and footwork to ever be a natural runner. He should have some big plays in this offense because he's the kind of guy who can break a big one when the crease is there. I just don't know if he's one to create a big play but I do think he's one to execute a big play when there is one in front of him. If that makes any sense to anyone else. I'm somewhat worried about our running back depth. Joe williams did have a couple decent runs, but we are really lacking a workhorse, grind em out kind of back. Brieda is probably the guy that runs with the most power and he's not a power back by any stretch of the imagination. 

Jimmy is still money on third down. 

I think it's amazing how good Kyle is at clock management already. Perfect use of time outs at the end of the game. Already 10x better than Andy Reid lol 

I loved sending those obnoxious Dallas fans home with blue balls.. definitely better than sending them home with a black and blue face hah

With Breida and Kittle going down for a period of time, going to be really interesting to see how TC battles progress. Saxson, Hikutini and Celek I'd imagine as the final TE's. 

But the Williams, McNicols and Mosert battle is also interesting. Bet my money Mosert and Mcnicols make the cut and Williams gets PS'd or IR'd. 

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Solomon played really well tonight before the concussion. I really liked what I saw, he was very quick off of the edge and very stout at the point of attack. Good leverage and hand usage. He had what, three tfl in 8/9 plays? 

I was watching Pettis very closely tonight, he dealt with the press better than I thought he would and had some nice separation. He got alligator arms on that one deep pass over the middle though. It will be interesting to see how he progresses as he gets more comfortable. 

Jimmy ward looked terrible. Why did he change his number? Was it so that people wouldn't know it was him who was giving up big plays? He didn't get his head around on that touchdown and was schooled by a so-so QB and a rookie WR. Just didn't look confident at all. Moore looked better to me. 

McKinnon didn't flash to me at all. I'm just not convinced he's a good running back yet. I don't know if he has the vision and footwork to ever be a natural runner. He should have some big plays in this offense because he's the kind of guy who can break a big one when the crease is there. I just don't know if he's one to create a big play but I do think he's one to execute a big play when there is one in front of him. If that makes any sense to anyone else. I'm somewhat worried about our running back depth. Joe williams did have a couple decent runs, but we are really lacking a workhorse, grind em out kind of back. Brieda is probably the guy that runs with the most power and he's not a power back by any stretch of the imagination. 

I think it's amazing how good Kyle is at clock management already. Perfect use of time outs at the end of the game. Already 10x better than Andy Reid lol 

I loved sending those obnoxious Dallas fans home with blue balls.. definitely better than sending them home with a black and blue face hah

Someone asked Shanahan in the post game presser what he thought of the blocking when McKinnon was in there. Shanahan said he didn't think it was very good. Mentioned he need to take a look at the official game film, but his initial impressions weren't too high. Thought they weren't getting push. Which is what I thought. McKinnon didn't even really get a chance to showcase what he could do. The offensive line play with the starters was extremely lackluster. 

BTW, that rookie wide receiver Michael Gallup is pretty talented. Someone I actually wanted in the draft. Pettis looks nice though. :) 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I feel like Joe Williams should be worried.

Garcon, Goodwin, Taylor, Pettis, Bourne and James to be the wrs? Think that sounds right. 

Haven't had a chance to watch the game quite yet but seems like Williams might only be saved by Breida not being ready week 1

Our run game is going to struggle big time without Breida. I just don't buy McKinnon as a runner. 

Mosert looked good and it gives Williams a chance.

Really bummed out by the Kittle injury though. That one hurt. Different type of mismatch compared to other receivers. 

I haven't watched the entire game yet, but for now, Mostert looks like a lock over Williams. Better at special teams, better as a runner right now. Mostert just doesn't try to do too much. He hits a hole and lowers the shoulder. Plus, he has the speed. He's someone who I have no problem having as a #3.

McKinnon truly didn't have a chance. When the RB has to make the first guy miss 3 yards  behind the LoS every single time, what can he do, really?

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Pettis has always been good at beating the press. That was one of his biggest strengths that Shanahan coveted coming out of Washington. So no surprise there. But he had a bad drop in traffic. Needs to catch those types of balls. Guys like Taylor/James make a living catching balls in traffic like that.

James is good. Props to guys like y2 that were high on him during the draft process.

Ward is a really solid slot corner and that's what best suits his game. He's simply not a outside corner, especially in this scheme. He needs to play closer to the LOS where he can be used as a blitzer and make plays in the running game while covering the slot. 

Our run blocking was so poor that McKinnon hardly had a chance. But I'm not a believer of him as a runner yet either. He needs to prove it. Breida to me is our best runner on the team.

I didn't watch the 4th quarter last night as I knocked out, but did Moore/Williams get some time? If so, how did they look? 

Julian Taylor was obviously the guy getting the most hype after the game, but don't sleep on DJ Reed. He was equally as impressive in other ways. They tried to run a quick WR screen and he shed the block and was able to make a stop for minimal gain. Another play he covered so much ground and was able to stop the WR for a one or two yard gain. And then they tried to test him with a fade route and he had perfect positioning forcing an incompletion. Reed is a flat out baller. 

Solomon Thomas will be good, especially as he gets more interior rushes. Not worried about him. The concussion sucks though. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our run blocking was so poor that McKinnon hardly had a chance. But I'm not a believer of him as a runner yet either. He needs to prove it. Breida to me is our best runner on the team.

Agreed. I don't think that Mckinnon is a great runner at all. I like his overall usefulness, but honestly, feel like the actual carries between he and a healthy Breida should really be closer to a 55/45 split. Sure, McKinnon should get way more snaps and passes out of the backfield, but for actual carries, it should be a lot closer. 

Ward is a really solid slot corner and that's what best suits his game. He's simply not a outside corner, especially in this scheme. He needs to play closer to the LOS where he can be used as a blitzer and make plays in the running game while covering the slot. 

Yep. Not much to add to this outside of I agree. I don't think he's completely lost as an outside corner in a different scheme, but I don't love the fit of him as an outside corner in this one. 

I didn't watch the 4th quarter last night as I knocked out, but did Moore/Williams get some time? If so, how did they look? 

I feel like I saw Moore in on coverage on one play for an incomplete pass, but I'm not sure if it was him or not to be honest LOL. Still, if I didn't hear from him and he played, I take that as a positive. 

4 hours ago, Madridista said:

Haven't had a chance to watch the game quite yet but seems like Williams might only be saved by Breida not being ready week 1

This is my thought as well. If Breida is healthy, I think he's toast. 

Williams can't alternate series with his big competition, playing similar opposition, and get outplayed in the run game so thoroughly, particularly when said competition for roster spot also has a huge advantage in special teams. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like I saw Moore in on coverage on one play for an incomplete pass, but I'm not sure if it was him or not to be honest LOL. Still, if I didn't hear from him and he played, I take that as a positive

Yeah he has a play for incomplete pass. That was about it.

Archived