Hall of Fame - Looking Ahead at WRs

RandyMossIsBoss

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

People don't agree with me, but I think so. He's the reason teams are so desperate to find a genuine slot WR - a guy with a specific skill set that plays strictly out of the slot, not just a #3 WR.

Right.  He really changed the way we think of WRs.  He may not have been an outside threat or a deep threat, but for a long time, he was a guy that defenses had no answer for....

And as I said, his bulk stats aren't really impressive at first glance, but remember, he wasn't a starter until year 3, and we all know about the concussions toward the end.  So, most of that production was during a span of about 6-7 years, while almost always being the smallest guy on the field... 

Definitely not 1st ballot, but IMO, he should get in at some point.

42 minutes ago, ET80 said:

People don't agree with me, but I think so. He's the reason teams are so desperate to find a genuine slot WR - a guy with a specific skill set that plays strictly out of the slot, not just a #3 WR.

That's the only way I think he goes in, in my opinion - if the media members conclude that he impacted the way the game was played / designed or whatever and his contribution in that manner was indelible (personally don't think that will happen).  At the same time, media members may say that his numbers were inflated by scheme / era (IE, they may be unimpressed by the total number of catches, which is one of the major factors that Welker would be holding his hat on) The one thing that doesn't help, in my opinion, is that his most famous moment may be the a negative one. His prime essentially lasted only 6 years, which is a bit short in my opinion. 

I would add one additional "receiver" to the list though - Devin Hester. Sure, he won't get in on the merits of playing the position, but once they let Morten Anderson in, I think that really opened the door for someone like Hester. 

Here's a counter argument for Welker. Look at what guys like Edelman, Amendola, and Hogan have all been able to do in that same role. Welker may have been the best of the bunch, but he still in large part was just a product of the system and Tom Brady.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I just totally blanked on Welker, would have included him in OP. Thing is, does the NFL really induct guys for impact on the game? I don't think so, well, not unless they also were phenomenal players/coaches. His impact on the game, to go along with elite production for a short time, is HOF worthy IMO, just not sure how much the voters will care about the fact that he set the mold for modern slot WR or helped make it a standard feature in offenses.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Here's a counter argument for Welker. Look at what guys like Edelman, Amendola, and Hogan have all been able to do in that same role. Welker may have been the best of the bunch, but he still in large part was just a product of the system and Tom Brady.

His only chance to get in would be if the voting committee bought the argument that he revolutionized the slot receiver position and was too important to the history of the game to leave out. Which they don’t really account for things like that so I doubt he gets in

Archived