Hall of Fame - Looking Ahead at WRs

RandyMossIsBoss

So we all know there has been a log jam at the WR position when it comes to the hall for a quite some time now, and if anything it's only going to get more crowded. In the last 10 years, 8 WRs have been inducted. In 2028, 10 years from now, who do you think is in the hall (bold), and who do you think never reaches the hall? (italics). Leave alone any WRs you think will eventually make it, just not in the next 10 years.

Isaac Bruce (2017-18 finalist)

Torry Holt (2015-18 semifinalist)

Hines Ward (2017-18 semifinalist)

Chad Johnson (2017-2018 nominee)

Reggie Wayne^

Andre Johnson^

Steve Smith Sr^

Calvin Johnson^

Anquan Boldin^

Larry Fitzgerald*

Brandon Marshall*

* signifies active WR that will likely retire in the next 5 years.

^ signifies retired WRs who has not been eligible yet

Fitz is the only lock to me, but Bruce and Holt are guys I see as likely. 

Ward and Q Hall of very good and consistent. They'll get votes, but I don't think they should get in. Quite frankly, those two and Wayne, Johnson,and Smith are so similar if you put one in, you almost have to put all of them in when it comes to production, but there is some variation. Ward and Q we're noted outstanding blockers which is a small thing but could help,but are the only two without a first team all pro. Ward lags way behind in yards per game, but also had a super bowl mvp. Steve Smith was at one time a good return man and I believe he and Johnson are the only multiple first team all pros out of that group. Pick your poison. 

Megatron will get the TD treatment and I think will likely eventually get in. Don't think it's first or second ballot. 

Ocho is a no. Marshall is a no. His production falls below that of the other guys, never had a playoff chance. Both have character things media members may hold against them. 

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

So we all know there has been a log jam at the WR position when it comes to the hall for a quite some time now, and if anything it's only going to get more crowded. In the last 10 years, 8 WRs have been inducted. In 2028, 10 years from now, who do you think is in the hall (bold), and who do you think never reaches the hall? (italics). Leave alone any WRs you think will eventually make it, just not in the next 10 years.

Isaac Bruce (2017-18 finalist)

Torry Holt (2015-18 semifinalist)

Hines Ward (2017-18 semifinalist)

Chad Johnson (2017-2018 nominee)

Reggie Wayne^

Andre Johnson^

Steve Smith Sr^

Calvin Johnson^

Anquan Boldin^

Larry Fitzgerald*

Brandon Marshall*

* signifies active WR that will likely retire in the next 5 years.

^ signifies retired WRs who has not been eligible yet

With the exception of troubled WRs like Brandon Marshall and Chad Johnson, all are likely to get in eventually. Jimmy Smith was tremendous, but his off field issues make him a real long shot with such a stacked field of candidates. In terms of the lower yards per catch of strong candidates like Ward and Bolden, it shouldn't be a factor. They weren't speed burners, but more than made up for that shortcoming with inside routes excellence. As usual, the HOF will rightly value candidates who impacted the game in a different way, starred for a contender, or came up big in the postseason.            

56 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Where's the Cliff Branch love.

Was a semifinalist in 2010, but hasn't been one since. What would cause the sudden shift for him to start getting votes? When your finishes in the HOF voting process decrease, you are pretty much doomed as far as I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Jimmy Smith

He's been eligible for nearly a decade and has never even been a semifinalist has he? Certainly not in recent years. The more time passes, the worse your chances get, especially when you have so many HOF candidates at WRs flowing in. I don't think there is any chance he sees the hall, if he couldn't even crack semifinalist his first few years eligible, why would he now? That being said, I do think he should be in, just don't see how it would happen.

Torry Holt & Issac Bruce yes. 

Megatron because his dominance and nick name, not his stat line.

fitzgerald and in 1st ballot. 

Ward is an easy no. 

Q on the fence. Liked him better than Ward as a player. 

Jimmy Smith na, hovg.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Fitz is the only lock to me, but Bruce and Holt are guys I see as likely. 

Ward and Q Hall of very good and consistent. They'll get votes, but I don't think they should get in. Quite frankly, those two and Wayne, Johnson,and Smith are so similar if you put one in, you almost have to put all of them in when it comes to production, but there is some variation. Ward and Q we're noted outstanding blockers which is a small thing but could help,but are the only two without a first team all pro. Ward lags way behind in yards per game, but also had a super bowl mvp. Steve Smith was at one time a good return man and I believe he and Johnson are the only multiple first team all pros out of that group. Pick your poison. 

Megatron will get the TD treatment and I think will likely eventually get in. Don't think it's first or second ballot. 

Ocho is a no. Marshall is a no. His production falls below that of the other guys, never had a playoff chance. Both have character things media members may hold against them. 

Nah.  Calvin Johnson will get in 1st ballot.  He was far too good.  And he did it longer than TD.  He's a surefire 1st ballot hall of famer to me.

I know Larry Fitzgerald is a lock because of the numbers but he never felt like a 1st ballot Hall of Famer to me.  I don't know but for some reason I never quite feared him as a receiver on the same level as legends like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and Calvin Johnson.  Those guys were on a totally another level from Fitzgerald.  Larry is more in the same class as Andre Johnson to me.  Great player but not quite as great as most people think.

Isaac Bruce should also get in.

Bruce, Fitz, Megatron, Holt probably get in, Fitz and Megatron have a shot at being first ballot depending on the class, Andre probably likely too.  Wayne, Smith, Ward, Q are maybes.  Ocho and Marshall are pretty long shots I think.

Larry Fitzgerald is the only lock for 1st ballot because he's the only guy that has regular/post season stats AND the media loves him. I'm sure a good portion of the voting will say Megatron quit which will be held against for at least 1 year. The rest wait a long time even though Torry Holt should have already been voted it.

Lots of peeps underestimating the log jam at WR. Fitz is the only one who won’t wait more than 2-3 years imo. But I’d be shocked if he made it first ballot. Megatron will wait likely 4-5 years. Bruce and Holt better get in soon or they are screwed. Wayne is super borderline. Nobody else gets in on that list 

53 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

What is Bruce a HOF' candidate? He was never anything special.

Absolutely would vote for Torrey Holt. He was a great receiver

Larry Fitzgerald is a first ballot guy.

Never anything special? When he retired he was 2nd all time in Yards. He put up damn good numbers with some horrible QB's before Warner and the GSOT ever came around.

Archived