Chicago Bears @ Cincinnati Bengals Pre Season

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

I don't understand that lowering the head penalty... What exactly is the defender supposed to do if the ball carrier goes that low... He tried getting under the ball carrier 

I thought the rule was also if the ball carrier lowered his head, the same goes for them.. but I guess not. Beats me.

5 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I like how you call me a moron but then say these reps in the game don't mean anything, have fun in your fantasy life where all you need to do is practice.

Main staples of the Nagy offense include a ton of pre-snap movement and misdirection. Lots of RPOs. We saw none of that tonight at all with the first team offense. No play action either. Just straight drop backs and handoffs. We also only saw 8 plays (one of which was 3rd and 20+), didn’t see our top 2 RB or top 2 WR at all, and Burton barely saw the field. I wanted to see more too, but I think context is important here. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Main staples of the Nagy offense include a ton of pre-snap movement and misdirection. Lots of RPOs. We saw none of that tonight at all with the first team offense. No play action either. Just straight drop backs and handoffs. We also only saw 8 plays (one of which was 3rd and 20+), didn’t see our top 2 RB or top 2 WR at all, and Burton barely saw the field. I wanted to see more too, but I think context is important here. 

That’s nice that’s why it’s called a vanilla offense. But the OL sucked the WR routes were off with the QB. Which is all basic concept stuff, but that’s ok it will all be good once the season starts it will just work because. 

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If you think reps on random plays without your best players mean anything, you’re a fool. I mean, you truly believe these plays are anything but some crap that Nagy will never call in a regular season game, you’re lost.

Here’s some twitter reaction so far:

Taquan getting the early carries. I see the Bears are taking this seriously.

It's one thing to face third-and-long with your actual playbook. But they're not even using that. These are just randomly called plays. Makes zero sense.

Again, what the **** is the point of this? Taquan hand-offs on first and second down and then make Trubisky drop on third and long? Why is that needed on August 9th?

Here's the thing: either play football or don't. Either run real offense or don't. Running this vanilla, nothing offense and risking player health is insanely stupid and the league should stop doing it.

Well in the regular season, they'll be calling actual plays for the situation. This is just an attempt to get their QB hurt against the league's dirtiest team and break my heart and ruin my fall.

The thing is that in preseason you don't want to tip off any of your regular season opponents what kind of plays you will run during the regular season.  I think one of the only plays we saw last night that could be a staple in the playbook was the goal line jet sweep for a TD to Ayers.  Lots of pre-snap movement which certainly caught the defense off guard and no surprise it resulted in a TD.   I think we can expect a lot of that from Nagy once the real games start.

As for the starters, preseason is merely a practice exercise to get them used to playing in real game time situations against another team, getting the play calls in and players lined up properly and just getting a feel for live football action again.

For the fringe roster players and back ups, you don't want to have them running actual playbook stuff either because for one they will likely not be on the team come week 1, and two you don't need to run exotic plays to see if they are capable of playing in the NFL.  Basic football.  People need to put that into context and understand that's all preseason is but every preseason we hear the same overreactions and complaints :D

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

That’s nice that’s why it’s called a vanilla offense. But the OL sucked the WR routes were off with the QB. Which is all basic concept stuff, but that’s ok it will all be good once the season starts it will just work because. 

You’re being foolish. You were arguing about it not being vanilla and now you’re acknowledging that it is. Pick one.

How much wildcat did the offense run in the preseason last year? And then what happened weeks 1-3? 10-15 snaps or so in the wildcat per game?

I think Nagy will start incorporating more less vanilla offense as the preseason moves on, but if you really think this stuff matters as much as you’re leading on, you’re flat wrong.

I bet you were panicking when Tillman was awful in (IIRC) 2012’s preseason and then he went on to be a top candidate for DPOY. Have some sense, man.

I've watched about half of the pre season snaps.  Not sure how anyone can draw any conclusions from it except maybe some of our deeper receivers on chart have had way too many drops.  They are really not wanting to show anything.  I am kind of attitude of who cares.  Your advantage will be for one game and then its gone.  And its not like NFL DC's don't know what an RPO is now and that it's coming from Bears.  The live reps and reads are probably more important in my mind for a very young team, but to each their own.    I guess if you can start out 1-0  against an arch rival it can be a big momentum builder for a new coach.  So it isn't without merit. 

Only thing I have noticed in pre season that you don't get to see in camp highlights is Fitts is looking to be an absolute steal in 6th round.  Good athlete, good motor, good speed, long arms, good frame to add strength and speed in next couple of years.  There is a lot to like there and at a position that is really hard to find.   Right now I wouldn't be shocked if he wins a starting job in first 4-8 weeks of season.  I start toying with him in with 1's now and see how he does.   

Disappointing that Daniels hasn't won a starting job on the line.  He is only 20 or a young 21.  So his upside is still pretty huge.  Watching his college tape I think there is small chance this guy doesn't end up a good player in long run.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You’re being foolish. You were arguing about it not being vanilla and now you’re acknowledging that it is. Pick one.

How much wildcat did the offense run in the preseason last year? And then what happened weeks 1-3? 10-15 snaps or so in the wildcat per game?

I think Nagy will start incorporating more less vanilla offense as the preseason moves on, but if you really think this stuff matters as much as you’re leading on, you’re flat wrong.

I bet you were panicking when Tillman was awful in (IIRC) 2012’s preseason and then he went on to be a top candidate for DPOY. Have some sense, man.

And you’re being an idiot I never said they weren’t being vanilla. I didn’t panic also I just said they didn’t look good on their first drives and were out of sync. You were the idiot going off on how the game didn’t matter because the best players were all out. 

28 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

And you’re being an idiot I never said they weren’t being vanilla. I didn’t panic also I just said they didn’t look good on their first drives and were out of sync. You were the idiot going off on how the game didn’t matter because the best players were all out. 

Correct. Last night’s game did not matter. Not one thing that happened in the game matters now, mattered then or will matter in September.

Offense

-I did not think Trubisky had a chance to get going. Kush got dominated for a sack, Whitehair takes a holding call, White has a brutal 3rd down drop, and the offense looks bad.

-The protection was bad against a good front.

-I continued to be totally underwhelmed by Kevin White. On the long throw I did not think he adjusted and came back to the ball, the 3rd down drop was brutal and a drive killer, and then he disappeared. Hoge pointed out and Anthony Miller was pulled well beyond White and that should tell us what the depth chart is. It would be nice to do something/anything.

-Javon Wims moved up the depth chart. The drop was bad, but he had a nice catch and it was interesting with him in the slot because of that incredible size.

-Adam Shaheen had a nice day. The guy has some really soft hands, but it was the quickness and speed in his routes and after the catch that was awesome to see. What an additional weapon when your in-line TE can threaten in the passing game. Shaheen is going to draw the worst cover guy when all the weapons are on the field.

-I am not going to read too much into the Daniel Brown and Ben Braunacker getting a ton of run. I think one of them is going to make the team, but what I took away from this was how interesting, aggressive and vertical Nagy attacks teams with the TE position. They are all over the field, they are attacking vertical and there are a ton of wrinkles.

-Bobbie Massie just continues to ask to be replaced. I am not sure there is anyone that can do it right now, but at best he looks serviceable.

-Cody Whitehair did not look sharp. Bad snap, holding call, and I think it might be time to talk about Whitehair at LG and Daniels at C.

-Rough day for Eric Kush.

-I thought Charles Leno was fine against some good rushers. I do not think Leno is going to be the issue on the line. I think that will be Massie.

-James Daniels looked good. He was stout in the passing game and had nice awareness on a 3rd quarter stunt. I would like to see a little more violence in his hands, but he has such a strong base he is difficult to move back. In the run game I loved what I saw when he was on the move. He had a couple of pulls where he peeled back to pick up a run through LB and it was very nice. He had some nice drive blocks in the run game when they went to the inside zone. Starter sooner rather than later.

-Rashard Coward continues to impress me. In the run game you have to live with some serious wiffs, but when he gets into his guy he moves people. On the goal line he has a serious push on a down block. Coward continued to look solid in the pass game against a 3rd round pick in Hubbard and a 2nd round pick in Willis. He does a nice job of using his long arms to take the rusher wide of the passer. He had better footwork and base then the HOF game.

-Check down Chase Daniel is painful to watch. He is John Fox's ideal QB.

-Tyler Bray had a nice day and I like that he throws downfield and lets the WRs and TEs work. At least you are giving a look for the offense. I think Bray may have some value to keep around, especially if he runs scout team with that level of aggression.

Defense

-I felt Leonard Floyd had some nice plays on the night and was consistently giving the Bengals RT and TE a lot of problems. His inside move is really nice. He still needs to work an outside move more often, but it was encouraging to see some nice rushes from him.

-Hicks and Goldman are really good.

-I think between RRH and Bullard the Bears should have a solid starting DE. Neither is consistent enough right now to be considered the starter on his own. RRH has the size and power to walk back OGs, but he needs a go to move. Bullard has flashes where he is dominant, but then he has some plays where he is just pushed around. I would start RRH and use Bullard as a pass rusher on 3rd down.

-John Jenkins continues to stand out for me in a back up role. Really active in the run game.

-Bilal Nichols did not flash as much as I was hoping.

-John Timu cannot start at ILB in the NFL. He was BRUTAL and not only cannot he tackle at all he is a huge liability in the passing game. This did not help the Roquan negotiations.

-Nick Kwiatwoski looks pretty good. Again he had a nice blitz and knock down.

-Sam Acho looked like Sam Acho. Meh.

-I do not think you are going to be able to play Kylie Fitts a ton. He looks a little lost at times, but he has some speed and explosion and situationally I could see him have some reps.

-Marcus Cooper should be on a plane home. He was a brutal signing in 2017 and he is again a bad signing in 2018.

Archived