EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 10:02 PM, persiandud said:

I keep telling you guys that Arsenal is not going to win the title

and now De Bruyne is back. scary hours for the EPL. Liverpool is the only other contender 

We're not.  We've got a more clear path to the CL than we do the PL - and there are still a ton of obstacles (including Mikel's history in European tournaments) in the CL.

Arsenal overachieved last season, in the respect that they were more successful than the plan they were working called for them to be.  And as a result peoples' expectations rose past a point of reason (i.e. it's the flat-surface assumption fallacy that people all across sport fall into: "We improved in the offseason so clearly we'll be better, so clearly our results will be better," while failing to consider that there were improvements made by the competition during the offseason as well).

Leaving aside the knock-on effects of, as-of-yet, unpunished financial doping, I can't recall a club that wasn't one of those doped clubs ascending to both (re)integration into the CL and posing a legitimate threat to the PL title in the same season.  Liverpool took 2, arguably 3, season back in the CL before they made their run at the title.  The picture to best relate is you have to think of the transfer window (summer, because the January window is very rarely a tool for more than filling gaps with temporary fixes or capitalizing on some wonky contracts and unsettled players) as a hall of doors.  European qualification unlocks some of those doors, but CL qualification unlocks most if not all, and that's just a case of unlocking the door for even consideration by a player or level of player, you still have to present (be in a position in other aspects to present) that player with an enticing offer.  Given where Arsenal we when Arteta and Edu took over, it was always (to anyone being realistic) going to take more than a few summer windows with some of the doors unlocked and one summer window with all the doors unlocked to righteously compete with clubs that had the majority of the past decade, or more, of access to all those doors.  And that's before you even consider the FA's Profit and Sustainability standards that are only recently being enforced and FFP (which I'm still waiting for the day the UEFA will actually legitimately enforce them).

The access swings both ways - it's the players you can buy, but conversely it's the players that even after you've bought them, if they don't work out as planned for you, the quality of player you are able to sell.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Arsenal released the presale tickets for the Summer Tour friendlies in Philadelphia and LA today and, between Ticketmaster and the greed of American owners, it was an utter crap show.  Ticketmaster completely hosed Arsenal America and (I suspect, my buddy that's on the AA board has feelers out to find out) One United USA by allowing the presale promo codes for Eagles and Rams season ticketholders to have access to the sections the supporters collectives had negotiated with the clubs themselves.  Then, they basically more than doubled the price.  The exact same seats that I paid $180 for the pair for last summer's match were selling for $470/pair after fees today (NOT a resale price).

3 team race on who wins the title. Gonna come down to the last couple games for this to be decided. City/Livepool in a couple days. Arsenal/City at the end of this month. Gonna be an awesome end to this season. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2024 at 1:32 AM, persiandud said:

pretty exciting title race we've got going on. I was wrong about Arsenal, they look like the best team in the league right now. I think they're going to run **** when Klopp and Pep leave giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952xcqoftot31tscdf74j

UTV...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...