EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

1 minute ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Yeah, totally different energy than the first half. I think a draw is probably the most fair result but I bet City feels like they let points get away with De Bruyne’s missed PK.

Absolutely, but considering how sloppy both teams played, I really do wonder if fatigue is going to be a worry deeper into the season. City definitely should feel like they dropped 2 points with the missing penalty though.

Full credit to Aston Villa too. Spanked us 7-2 and now outclassed Arsenal 3-0.

Jack Grealish is a top player, and probably the best player outside a top 6 club.

Dear oh dear Arsenal, what is happening to that squad. Lacazette is a shadow of himself and is dreadful. Ollie Watkins is what Laca was supposed to be. Willian is so painfully bland it's painful. Holding shouldn't be starting at a club with top 4 aspirations. Elneny had a poor game (though I think him and Partey could be good). Auba needs to be playing centrally. Not a fan of Ceballos either.

Villa actually dominated Arsenal today. How they only scored 3 is confusing. They do have quite a bit of flair and guys who can express themselves and so on any given day they can be a problem. Loved the interchange and Olly Watkins hold up play. 

Arsenal are just predicatable. It’s literally overload on the left and cross the ball with Tierney or overlaps with Saka. I think playing Pepe at the very least he offers a different dimension and is a threat on the right side with his skill. That Willian deal even 8 games in is horrible and you got two more season on top Of this one left and he has no resale value. 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Arsenal are just predicatable. It’s literally overload on the left and cross the ball with Tierney or overlaps with Saka. I think playing Pepe at the very least he offers a different dimension and is a threat on the right side with his skill. That Willian deal even 8 games in is horrible and you got two more season on top Of this one left and he has no resale value. 

Them and United represent being behind the times in terms of recruitment. Neither has a true DoF and a recruitment team and I'd argue both of them have had more misses in transfers than the rest of the top 6.

I know Liverpool have had Jota on the shortlist for like 4 years and finally made a move this summer. Edwards and the recruitment are a big reason we really haven't had any big duds in terms of transfers. Compare that with both United and Arsenal. How long did it take for both of those guys to fix their CB position for example.

17 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Them and United represent being behind the times in terms of recruitment. Neither has a true DoF and a recruitment team and I'd argue both of them have had more misses in transfers than the rest of the top 6.

I know Liverpool have had Jota on the shortlist for like 4 years and finally made a move this summer. Edwards and the recruitment are a big reason we really haven't had any big duds in terms of transfers. Compare that with both United and Arsenal. How long did it take for both of those guys to fix their CB position for example.

Arsenal and United are weird. Arsenal have invested in the right areas for most part and the players haven’t been good enough. United have thrown a lot of stuff at the wall and just hope it sticks. Arsenals best attacking player this season so far has been Saka by far which says a lot. Don’t get me wrong, Saka is a very good young talent but that’s a horrible look. 

Arsenal, and Man United come to that, lack players who really care about the team they are playing for.

Now I don't doubt that they all like playing for the team, but there's a lack of the do or die attitude that several of their winning sides were blessed with in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy day all around Europe

City, Villa lose. Barca, PSG, Rennes lose. Bayern, Real, Leipzig with draws. Thats out of 22 matches in the 5 leagues.

Tempted to say Everton will be bested by Fulham tomorrow.

Tots had 4 shots on goal. Man City 22. lol. Just the type of day it was. Haaland had as many goals as Tots had shots.

Tottenham were set up to win the way they did. It's a Mourinho template now. Man City just don't have that steel in their team, although if Guardiola starts Sterling and Foden I think it's a different game. Jesus is not good enough for them either.

Villa are Villa and have been batting way above their average so far this season. They'll be lucky to finish in the top half of the table.

Everton will probably beat Fulham, but if Fulham keep things tight they could nick a win.

8 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

Tottenham were set up to win the way they did. It's a Mourinho template now. Man City just don't have that steel in their team, although if Guardiola starts Sterling and Foden I think it's a different game. Jesus is not good enough for them either.

Villa are Villa and have been batting way above their average so far this season. They'll be lucky to finish in the top half of the table.

Everton will probably beat Fulham, but if Fulham keep things tight they could nick a win.

Allowing 22 shots should be a concern though. Man City has been held pretty low in that dept by a number of teams recently. Then yesterday, boom, 22. Doherty returning soon should help. But something else seems to be off in the back there. I didnt catch the full game to be able to pass any real judgement on that. What I got to see they were doing pretty well.

What a performance by the injury riddled reds. 3-0 against the LCFC (who to be fair have some injury concerns).

Diogo Jota. What a player.

Andrew Robertson is amazing. Curtis Jones has improved every time he's played. I know Klopp thinks the world of him, so we'll see how high he can go. Matip-Fab played well in central defense.

Tidy performance from us missing many key players. Thiago might be back next weekend which is always a lift. Sucks to see Naby hurt because he looked good today.