The Box Office

Acgott

Just now, MathMan said:

well, you dont sign JJ Abrams, and expect there to be any risks 

i wouldnt be surprised if all of the beats were exactly the same as RotJ

You talking episode 9? I meant more in general with regards to taking risks with newer films.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Why wouldn't they go in the opposite direction and start swinging for the fences? Why not both? They have multiple films in production at once.. take some risks with the license please.

Because they have only so many films they can do before they have to start swinging for the fences. 

They don't have a winning formula of how to develop these films. The only one for sure I thought they hit most of the check boxes was Rogue One. It played it safe for most of the film. They took a few liberties here and there. They took one big chance and killed everyone off at the end and it paid off. They had some definite fanfare including Vader in the middle and especially at the end which has been by far the best part of any of these new movies. 

They keep hiring people who don't know how to blend. 

54 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Because they have only so many films they can do before they have to start swinging for the fences. 

They don't have a winning formula of how to develop these films. The only one for sure I thought they hit most of the check boxes was Rogue One. It played it safe for most of the film. They took a few liberties here and there. They took one big chance and killed everyone off at the end and it paid off. They had some definite fanfare including Vader in the middle and especially at the end which has been by far the best part of any of these new movies. 

They keep hiring people who don't know how to blend. 

I don’t even consider that a risk. It was a likely outcome to anybody who knew anything 

9 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Why wouldn't they go in the opposite direction and start swinging for the fences? Why not both? They have multiple films in production at once.. take some risks with the license please.

Fan reaction to The Last Jedi probably scared Disney off from taking many risks.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Fan reaction to The Last Jedi probably scared Disney off from taking many risks.

Lol I think people are actually forgetting the gripes about TLJ for awhile after what just happened with Solo. And that wasn't even a bad movie. Wonder when we are gonna hear about Kennedy accepting an exciting new future someplace else while not giving any details of what that future is.

I do wonder though. If episode 9 actually underperforms by a wide margin might they just try to sell the whole franchise off?

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Lol I think people are actually forgetting the gripes about TLJ for awhile after what just happened with Solo. And that wasn't even a bad movie. Wonder when we are gonna hear about Kennedy accepting an exciting new future someplace else while not giving any details of what that future is.

I do wonder though. If episode 9 actually underperforms by a wide margin might they just try to sell the whole franchise off?

Given that Disney invested 8+ billion in Star Wars theme parks they're not selling off the franchise. Plus they make more than enough from toy sales to off-set any lost money from the films.

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

They haven’t lost money on Star Wars and TFA is one of the biggest box offices ever. Merch still sells gangbusters. Disney Parks will see huge revenue increases with Star Wars attractions. No they aren’t selling it off.

It's the Twitter age we live in.  Everything is either the greatest thing ever or is completely terrible.  People are dumb.

• Like 4