The Box Office

Acgott

10 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

People online were really trying to defend this as the best Disney live action opening of all time. They just read reports instead of looking at actual facts 

What? Who? This never had any chance whatsoever of approaching Beauty and the Beast orThe Lion King. No one who actually knows anything ever would have thought this would open anywhere close to those 2.

22 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

What? Who? This never had any chance whatsoever of approaching Beauty and the Beast orThe Lion King. No one who actually knows anything ever would have thought this would open anywhere close to those 2.

Is the little mermaid opening in China? 194 million opening weekend this film might flop.

57 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Is the little mermaid opening in China? 194 million opening weekend this film might flop.

It bombed in China. Roughly $2.5 million opening weekend. It's bombing HARD in Asia. This might not cross $500 million worldwide.

6 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

We already know the little mermaid story so why watch it?

You can say that for most films lol. This is 100 percent on the  casting of Berry for little mermaid, unfortunate but it’s the truth. Stick to what the characters looks like.

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

People watched Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King.

Thats true

The former was terrible

The middle, actually i prefer will smith to robin williams in the role

The lion king...didnt see

I suppose i will concede my point

Edited by Malfatron

7 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

You can say that for most films lol. This is 100 percent on the  casting of Berry for little mermaid, unfortunate but it’s the truth. Stick to what the characters looks like.

I disagree. Who cares if the main character is black? I do wonder why a 56 year old is still living with her dad though

Again, will smith as the genie was great casting

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

The character is a fantasy merperson that's half fish. The skin color of the top half is irrelevant.

If you don’t think Berry being casted as the little mermaid wasn’t an issue then you have your blinders on. No other reason for this movie to perform this badly compared to the other Disney live action films.

I don’t have an issue with her casting but online people certainly did.

Brining up Will Smith as the genie is irrelevant as his skin was still turned blue for the movie 

Edited by Fresh Prince

25 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

If you don’t think Berry being casted as the little mermaid wasn’t an issue then you have your blinders on. No other reason for this movie to perform this badly compared to the other Disney live action films.

Brining up Will Smith as the genie is irrelevant as his skin was still turned blue for the movie 

It probably was an issue for idiots, but not for me. I will grant you that

52 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The character is a fantasy merperson that's half fish. The skin color of the top half is irrelevant.

I would have preferred if the fish part was on top and the human part on bottom

Thats the way to reboot it

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

I'm not saying it wasn't an issue for racists. I'm saying it shouldn't be because it's a half-fish monster from fantasy world.

This is also only the 2nd recent one released in theaters without star power IIRC. Aladdin had Will Smith, Beauty and the Beast had Emma Watson coming off of HP, and The Lion King and The Jungle Book had star-studded voice casts. Dumbo is the other one that didn't have a box office star leading it (though it did have some big names) and that also underperformed.

Cinderella is kind of in between all of them as far as the cast goes, but it also jumpstarted the live action remake trend so didn't have any fatigue built up. It did pretty well overall.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1

I mean it's fairly obvious messing with the look of the lead made some impact. Call those people whatever you want, doesn't change reality. The Little Mermaid is a box office bomb and unless something drastic happens will lose a lot of money. It's going to happen again next year too. Snow White without Dwarves is a lock to fail.