The Box Office

Acgott

I'm struggling to find a big breakout for the summer. I'm hoping it's Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. But if that just has a small bump from the original, then we probably won't have another $400 million movie this year. That would be disappointing.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm struggling to find a big breakout for the summer. I'm hoping it's Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. But if that just has a small bump from the original, then we probably won't have another $400 million movie this year. That would be disappointing.

Dead Reckoning?

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Dead Reckoning?

It'll get a bump from Top Gun: Maverick, but I just cannot see it almost doubling the box office from Fallout. That would be completely unprecedented.

The last 3 Mission Impossible movies have ended at $195 million, $195 million, and $220 million. It's the 7th movie in a series, not a legacy sequel to a previous box office king that played super hard into nostalgia. I'm guessing Dead Reckoning: Part 1 ends between $275 million and $300 million, which would be a monstrous win for that movie.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

It'll get a bump from Top Gun: Maverick, but I just cannot see it almost doubling the box office from Fallout. That would be completely unprecedented.

The last 3 Mission Impossible movies have ended at $195 million, $195 million, and $220 million. It's the 7th movie in a series, not a legacy sequel to a previous box office king that played super hard into nostalgia. I'm guessing Dead Reckoning: Part 1 ends between $275 million and $300 million, which would be a monstrous win for that movie.

Oh you meant domestic. I was so confused 🤣

Just now, Mox said:

Oh you meant domestic. I was so confused 🤣

Oh yeah, definitely meant domestic haha. There will be plenty that hit that worldwide.

This would be the first time since 2014 (not counting 2020 and 2021 for obvious reasons) and only the 3rd time since 2008 that at least 2 movies didn't hit $400 million domestically.

Had Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny gotten better reviews, I would have bet on that to hit it. But now? I just don't see it from any of them.

• Like 1

The Little Mermaid weekdays have been pretty solid. Staying neck and neck with Aladdin...but will probably drop harder in its 2nd weekend with Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse opening.

Speaking of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse...it is starting track VERY high. Spiking across the board with the fantastic reviews.

Fast X already fell behind GOTG3 in dailies. Oof.

28 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The Little Mermaid weekdays have been pretty solid. Staying neck and neck with Aladdin...but will probably drop harder in its 2nd weekend with Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse opening.

Speaking of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse...it is starting track VERY high. Spiking across the board with the fantastic reviews.

Fast X already fell behind GOTG3 in dailies. Oof.

Never like to see movies fail but happy to see Fast X not doing so good.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Worldwide gross of Into the Spider-Verse was $375 million.  I would be surprised if this one doesn't double that.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:40 AM, Mox said:

After an awful Saturday The Little Mermaid is in trouble. Looking under 100 mil domestic 3 day and 160-170m WW.

My woman and little one saw it Monday. Little one didnt last 15 mins before asking to leave, or go to the bathroom or anything else she could think of. She hated it, hated Ariel (who was her fav beforehand). Had to watch the "Real Thing" on the ride home to cheer her up.

Any movie over 2 hours for kids makes for a disaster.

Horrible flick in which my woman has been stopping fellow parents from taking their kids to this complete nightmare of a film ever since.

Not that anything less should be expected out of Disney..

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Worldwide gross of Into the Spider-Verse was $375 million.  I would be surprised if this one doesn't double that.

It's seeming like it'll hit 75% of its domestic gross on opening weekend now.

I take back my worry about another $400 million movie.