The Box Office

Acgott

On 7/2/2023 at 10:30 PM, MacReady said:

Disney is not a powerhouse anymore. They are completely and irrevocably lost touch with their audience.

Too much cocaine and butt kissing, too little talent.

They need a top down refresh in their producers and decision makers.

After Nintendos movie success. Looks like they want to challenge Disney on the Princess side. And cant blame them. Disney leaving the door wide open when everything was locked down in their favor.

When youre in position where selling Lucasfilms to the Saudis is one the best ideas remaining on the table. Its time to clear house.

On 6/25/2023 at 7:05 PM, seminoles1 said:

Elemental showing some legs, so it won't be an outright disaster. But obviously it will still be a loss unless it legs out like Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

I just watched Elemental. I understand why it's mid - the story beats are pretty predictable. But as a child of immigrants, it was relatable to me.

At this point, Harrison Ford is just looking for paychecks.    Only way to explain why he willingly starred in two movies for Disney that absolutely destroyed his two most iconic characters.

They need to make a sequel to that South Park episode (you know the one), but instead of Lucas and Spieldberg, its Kathleen Kennedy.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

So who gets the larger opening weekend, Oppenheimer or Barbie?

Barbie is going to annihilate Oppenheimer. I don't mean that as a slight to Oppenheimer either, because that will have a very good opening. But Barbie is trending towards being the summer winner and #2 for the year domestically behind The Super Mario Brother Movie.

I'm guessing $130 million for Barbie and $65-70 million for Oppenheimer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

What did they do?

Early preview showings Sunday and Monday and opened wide on Tuesday, so the marketing was all over the place. Most movies "open" on Fridays with early previews on Thursdays. Could have caused confusion for the GA about when the movie opened...but it didn't. Thursday wasn't great either.

Now don't get me wrong, this has never been a huge opening weekend franchise. It's running just a little behind Fallout right now. Every franchise eventually hits diminishing returns if it goes on for a long time, and this being a "Part 1" isn't helping.

Top Gun: Maverick really skewed the expectations for this.

• Like 1

I also doubt this will leg out as well as the last few Mission Impossible movies, even with the rave reviews, because of Barbie and Oppenheimer.

It's obviously early, but it's very possible this ends up this ends up as the 2nd lowest domestic gross on the franchise, only above III.