The Box Office

Acgott

14 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I didn't want to bring up Sound of Freedom because it's such a hot button movie. It's box office is impressive and unique with the Pay-It-Forward ticket method, but a discussion about it has never stayed on topic in the forums I post on.

It's meh.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I didn't want to bring up Sound of Freedom because it's such a hot button movie. It's box office is impressive and unique with the Pay-It-Forward ticket method, but a discussion about it has never stayed on topic in the forums I post on.

It’s Kony 2012 2

Edited by skywindO2

18 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

They basically beg people to donate money to this at the end of the movie by buying more tickets, and they’ve been playing this thing over and over in empty movie theaters for weeks.

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They basically beg people to donate money to this at the end of the movie by buying more tickets, and they’ve been playing this thing over and over in empty movie theaters for weeks.

This along with other common criticisms I've heard are largely baseless. I didn't see it the first week it was out and the theater was packed. I see a movie every week, and there are always people going to see it. I don't see why everyone has to exaggerate everything about this movie from all angles. It's nothing special.

It's not an amazing move. It's not damaging to trafficking victims. It's not a conspiracy q-anon movie. It's not a completely historically accurate movie. It's a mediocre movie that has certainly benefitted from its weird/unique ticket method, but the empty theater thing is not at all common. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mox said:

This along with other common criticisms I've heard are largely baseless. I didn't see it the first week it was out and the theater was packed. I see a movie every week, and there are always people going to see it. I don't see why everyone has to exaggerate everything about this movie from all angles. It's nothing special.

It's not an amazing move. It's not damaging to trafficking victims. It's not a conspiracy q-anon movie. It's not a completely historically accurate movie. It's a mediocre movie that has certainly benefitted from its weird/unique ticket method, but the empty theater thing is not at all common. 

It’s not a fabrication it’s literally the business model the movie is using.  After the movie as the credits roll they ask you to make a donation by purchasing additional tickets for more people to see the movie.  People have been doing this and then they sell more tickets than they have people to fill the seats with. 

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It’s not a fabrication it’s literally the business model the movie is using.  After the movie as the credits roll they ask you to make a donation by purchasing additional tickets for more people to see the movie.  People have been doing this and then they sell more tickets than they have people to fill the seats with. 

I'm not saying people aren't buying future tickets. I'm saying the empty theaters thing is based off one Tiktok and that spread as if it was common when it's not. People are in fact seeing the movie. It's not as you said: "playing this thing over and over in empty movie theaters for weeks".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mox said:

I'm not saying people aren't buying future tickets. I'm saying the empty theaters thing is based off one Tiktok and that spread as if it was common when it's not. People are in fact seeing the movie. It's not as you said: "playing this thing over and over in empty movie theaters for weeks".

I don't particularly care about this movie either way, but a substantial amount of its ticket sales are coming from the "Pay it Forward" program and I don't understand why people just won't admit that. CNN reported that 20% of ticket sales on its opening weekend were via the pay it forward program, and you have to figure it has become a larger percentage of the sales after the opening weekend. 

This is literally from the movie's own website: 

https://www.angel.com/pay-it-forward/sound-of-freedom

As of my clicking on this on 7/27/2023, 12,545,671 tickets have been gifted to people via this method. I have to lol at this already because at $15 per ticket this would be $188,185,095 and the total reported gross for the movie right now is $130,993,464.  So they must be just gifting people tickets for free to fill seats. 

Additionally, its been reported that a lot of the ticket sales have been from businesses or churches, who buy in bulk, and then likely don't have some of the people show up, which is typical when inviting a large group to anything. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I don't particularly care about this movie either way, but a substantial amount of its ticket sales are coming from the "Pay it Forward" program and I don't understand why people just won't admit that. CNN reported that 20% of ticket sales on its opening weekend were via the pay it forward program, and you have to figure it has become a larger percentage of the sales after the opening weekend. 

This is literally from the movie's own website: 

https://www.angel.com/pay-it-forward/sound-of-freedom

As of my clicking on this on 7/27/2023, 12,545,671 tickets have been gifted to people via this method. I have to lol at this already because at $15 per ticket this would be $188,185,095 and the total reported gross for the movie right now is $130,993,464.  So they must be just gifting people tickets for free to fill seats. 

Additionally, its been reported that a lot of the ticket sales have been from businesses or churches, who buy in bulk, and then likely don't have some of the people show up, which is typical when inviting a large group to anything. 

No one has denied it's part or even a large part of their ticket sales. You're arguing with yourself at this point. I pointed out the incorrect part of your claim word for word, and you haven't addressed it at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mox said:

No one has denied it's part or even a large part of their ticket sales. You're arguing with yourself at this point. I pointed out the incorrect part of your claim word for word, and you haven't addressed it at all.

Addressed what?  The empty seats thing? What do you want me to do go stand outside movie theaters and count the people leaving? All I can do is point you to the numbers which are really weird. If they are claiming to have gifted that many tickets, than a lot of the butts in the seats in the theaters either A) didn't purchase a ticket but someone else did, or B) didn't purchase a ticket and no one paid for it (the difference between the gifted and gross is $57 mil or approximately 3.8 million tickets, and I'm sure a substantial portion of the gross sales were actual people purchasing a ticket and attending, so the difference is probably much larger than $57 mil). So the movie's success is being propped up via donations, and a lot of people attending the movie didn't actually pay for a ticket. This is not speculation by me its literally on their website. 

25 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Addressed what?  The empty seats thing? What do you want me to do go stand outside movie theaters and count the people leaving? All I can do is point you to the numbers which are really weird. If they are claiming to have gifted that many tickets, than a lot of the butts in the seats in the theaters either A) didn't purchase a ticket but someone else did, or B) didn't purchase a ticket and no one paid for it (the difference between the gifted and gross is $57 mil or approximately 3.8 million tickets, and I'm sure a substantial portion of the gross sales were actual people purchasing a ticket and attending, so the difference is probably much larger than $57 mil). So the movie's success is being propped up via donations, and a lot of people attending the movie didn't actually pay for a ticket. This is not speculation by me its literally on their website. 

If you can't defend the claim, don't make the claim, and then strawman to something else no one is debating. It's weird.

This: "playing this thing over and over in empty movie theaters for weeks" and

This: "So the movie's success is being propped up via donations, and a lot of people attending the movie didn't actually pay for a ticket." are not even remotely the same thing.

It's like the fifth best movie I've seen in theaters the last three weeks, and it's getting really annoying hearing people lie or exaggerate about it on both extremes because their opinion on it was pre-determined. Instead of strawmanning about this, it'd be so much more productive to talk about something actually good, like MI7.

Edited by Mox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

If you can't defend the claim, don't make the claim, and then strawman to something else no one is debating. It's weird.

This: "playing this thing over and over in empty movie theaters for weeks" and

This: "So the movie's success is being propped up via donations, and a lot of people attending the movie didn't actually pay for a ticket." are not even remotely the same thing.

It's like the fifth best movie I've seen in theaters the last three weeks, and it's getting really annoying hearing people lie about it on both extremes because their opinion on it was pre-determined. Instead of strawmanning about this, it'd be so much more productive to talk about something actually good, like MI7.

How is there a difference from an empty seat from a seat that was given away for free? 

21 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

These 2nd weekend holds are about to be nuts. The numbers would have been really good for their opening weekends!

$93 million for Barbie.

$46 million for Oppenheimer.

Barbie will end up being WB's highest grossing movie ever, both domestically (passing The Dark Knight) and worldwide (passing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II).

What a run.

24 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

$93 million for Barbie.

$46 million for Oppenheimer.

Barbie will end up being WB's highest grossing movie ever, both domestically (passing The Dark Knight) and worldwide (passing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II).

What a run.

MI passed 300m abroad. Far better than its done domestically.

Haunted Mansion. 33m global. 150m to produce. Then add marketing/advertising. Bet Disney AI hiring spree goes into overdrive. Cause 30+mil should mean a solid opening if not for cost.