Preseason week 2 GDT: 49ers vs Texans

Forge

People keep citing the 5 game sample size, which is understandable. However what people aren't citing is the context, and circumstances those five games entailed.

Garoppolo coming to a new team in the middle of the season, the said team is 0-9, learning a phrase book of a new offense in about two weeks after arriving, and having zero built chemistry with new teammates. 

Of course, Jimmy plays sensational in 5 starts despite the stacked deck. I can't think of a similar case before. So either this is one of the greatest hoaxes in NFL history, or Jimmy is as well as advertised. So far, so good.

What a dreadful game to watch. So many penalties. Not a lot of great plays by our team. Jimmy played well. Trent Taylor played well again. No runningback impressed me. The OL didn't impress. The D... it was missing key players again, so it's hard to criticize. Reuben was all over the field. It's odd and fun to watch him tackle receivers out on the sideline... he's not supposed to do that, but he's just so athletic. Spoon had good plays, but had at least one bad play, if I recall... the safeties were so-so. 

HJ Beat Hard was god awful. I was hoping for much better from him this camp, but he's been crapping the bed real hard. He's been good for at least 3 passes deflected at the line per game. Yesterday he didn't seem to be able to make any play. He looks like he's actually trying to look laid back. He's forcing his laidbackness. But he needs to play with a little more urgency, more of a killer instinct. But instead, he just hangs around in the pocket, and doesn't seem to find a play to make. Nick Mullens actually looks better. But against third string, I guess. 

And again, one of my favorites has been Pita. I feel he deserves more playing time. Maybe he's destined for the PS, and maybe we only play him against lower competition so another team won't be tempted to pluck him off the PS. But I do feel like he deserves more attention than some other guys. Why Eli Harold, and not Pita? 

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

What a dreadful game to watch. So many penalties. Not a lot of great plays by our team. Jimmy played well. Trent Taylor played well again. No runningback impressed me. The OL didn't impress. The D... it was missing key players again, so it's hard to criticize. Reuben was all over the field. It's odd and fun to watch him tackle receivers out on the sideline... he's not supposed to do that, but he's just so athletic. Spoon had good plays, but had at least one bad play, if I recall... the safeties were so-so. 

HJ Beat Hard was god awful. I was hoping for much better from him this camp, but he's been crapping the bed real hard. He's been good for at least 3 passes deflected at the line per game. Yesterday he didn't seem to be able to make any play. He looks like he's actually trying to look laid back. He's forcing his laidbackness. But he needs to play with a little more urgency, more of a killer instinct. But instead, he just hangs around in the pocket, and doesn't seem to find a play to make. Nick Mullens actually looks better. But against third string, I guess. 

And again, one of my favorites has been Pita. I feel he deserves more playing time. Maybe he's destined for the PS, and maybe we only play him against lower competition so another team won't be tempted to pluck him off the PS. But I do feel like he deserves more attention than some other guys. Why Eli Harold, and not Pita? 

What are we talking about here....are you saying@Leo? Sam?

If we're talking SAM, Harold is simply a more complete LB at this point. I don't trust Pita in coverage, nor in containment against the run. Harold is no world beater but he is assignment sound and looks improved as a coverage defender from the naked eye. Harold is fine if you use him strictly at SAM. He's not a pass-rusher and never will be so holding out hope that he'll flash something as a Leo is pointless. Have to hope the combination of Marsh and Attachou will be enough there. 

But with Pita, I still see rawness that needs refinement. He's not there yet. Right now I see a speed rusher who still needs work with the physicality of playing out on the edge if we're talking Leo. And an athlete who still needs a ton of work with recognition as a zone defender to not be a liability as a SAM. Not to mention being better at holding the edge, against the run.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Magnuson for sure will be put on the IR, but will be interesting to see what they do with Williams. Release him or put him on IR as well? 

Unfortunate for mags. Person had experience pretty much everywhere, so he's now a lock to make the roster (if anyone didn't think he was before). This should lock up Garnett on the roster as well as Cooper too.

May as well put Williams on IR. It's a mid round pick salary. If you can hold on to him as an asset, may as well. This also allows you to keep mcnichols on the PS. 

8 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Even if Cunningham got blocked, Texans still had a corner there to blow up the play regardless. I guess that's outside of the OL's control though. 

Good catch, but if Cunningham is blocked then Williams has a cut back lane there. The CB may still get him but I like Williams chances better against a CB than a LB. 

Pettis is just a phenomenal route runner. Great skill when you can run every route the same way to keep the CB on his toes. Like you wouldn't know if he is running a post/comeback/double move/go route. Sells every route well and is able to break it out without using extra steps. He just needs to get a bit more physical and he has all the makings of a future #1 WR in this league.

Archived