Preseason week 2 GDT: 49ers vs Texans

Forge

Good stuff. He looked good in the run game and is able to get to the second level. His pass protecting was decent at best but that isn't going to change. More important for this offense that we have a good run blocking guard than a pass protecting guard with how quickly Jimmy G can get rid of the ball. Our run game looks pretty bad right now.

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good stuff. He looked good in the run game and is able to get to the second level. His pass protecting was decent at best but that isn't going to change. More important for this offense that we have a good run blocking guard than a pass protecting guard with how quickly Jimmy G can get rid of the ball. Our run game looks pretty bad right now.

Especially on bull rushes he can get put on skates too quickly. Needs to learn to anchor himself better but the main hope for him is to just stay healthy and prove he is worth the pick we used for him.

34 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

but the main hope for him is to just stay healthy and prove he is worth the pick we used for him.

I don't even need this, to be honest. I accepted the moment he was drafted that he was a major reach of a bad GM. He was never a first round pick. I'm going to be supremely happy if he merely proves to be serviceable as a starter for the year. Just slightly better than Person, a former 7th round pick of the same GM, is the very low bar I have. He beats that, and I am a happy guy.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Just rewatched the play where Beathard overshot Pettis on the long ball during this game. Holy hell what a move by Pettis. Watching it in slow motion is just sick. You almost feel bad for the corner. 

That's two TD's that CJ's costed Pettis now. I guess that's what preseason is for, though. Work through it and sharpen your game. I hope CJ can get it together because it's not looking good for him, right now. 

8 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't even need this, to be honest. I accepted the moment he was drafted that he was a major reach of a bad GM. He was never a first round pick. I'm going to be supremely happy if he merely proves to be serviceable as a starter for the year. Just slightly better than Person, a former 7th round pick of the same GM, is the very low bar I have. He beats that, and I am a happy guy.

I feel some people here are just too hard on him and have given up on him same with Armstead. I agree his first year was a lot of ups and downs and then last year he barely played even in preseason because he got injured. This is basically only his second year and based on his first game he is a definite upgrade over Person who is a little better version of Zane Beadles.

9 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

A nice breakdown on Josh's game. 

Not a lot to really go off of in the pass game, but I felt he did well enough there. He displays some good effort and movement skills for the run game. Looking forward to seeing more of him. :) 

3 hours ago, Justone2 said:

I feel some people here are just too hard on him and have given up on him same with Armstead. I agree his first year was a lot of ups and downs and then last year he barely played even in preseason because he got injured. This is basically only his second year and based on his first game he is a definite upgrade over Person who is a little better version of Zane Beadles.

"Given up on him" implies that we believed in him to begin with. Most hated the pick from the beginning. That's what happens when a terrible GM trades up for a guy who would have been a reach without the trade.

Is it fair to Garnett? No. But that's the life of an overdrafted first round pick. Wasn't really fair to AJ Jenkins when nobody believed in him and shipped him off after one year. But that's what happens when the unrealistic expectations of a first round pick are applied to a developing player that has no business being drafted in that round.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

"Given up on him" implies that we believed in him to begin with. Most hated the pick from the beginning. That's what happens when a terrible GM trades up for a guy who would have been a reach without the trade.

Is it fair to Garnett? No. But that's the life of an overdrafted first round pick. Wasn't really fair to AJ Jenkins when nobody believed in him and shipped him off after one year. But that's what happens when the unrealistic expectations of a first round pick are applied to a developing player that has no business being drafted in that round.

Most hated the fact we traded up for him because they felt there where similar prospects available at our original pick. Which is fine but not fair to the player. The biggest difference with AJ Jenkins is though that Jenkins was a 4th/5th round talent that was way overdrafted and really hasn't shown anything even in preseason. Garnett has shown at least the ability to play in the NFL. Is Garnett a real superstar difference maker at G or can he become that who knows but judging him so hard because Baalke drafted him end of the first and on only one year where he had a shortened offseason because he is from Stanford.

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

Most hated the fact we traded up for him because they felt there where similar prospects available at our original pick. Which is fine but not fair to the player. The biggest difference with AJ Jenkins is though that Jenkins was a 4th/5th round talent that was way overdrafted and really hasn't shown anything even in preseason. Garnett has shown at least the ability to play in the NFL. Is Garnett a real superstar difference maker at G or can he become that who knows but judging him so hard because Baalke drafted him end of the first and on only one year where he had a shortened offseason because he is from Stanford.

No offense meant - but this is all contradictory. First of all, a former 1st round pick that has 'shown the ability to play in the NFL,' is only 24, and plays at a position of major need without a clear starter would not be in any jeopardy of being cut and not making the roster. Garnett is, because he has never shown he has the ability to play in the NFL. He was terrible in 2016, and looked no better in last year's preseason. Could he still be developing? Possibly, but that's not a luxury first round picks get. First round picks need to be clear cut starters by Year 3, not embroiled in a battle for a starting job with a 7th round journeyman on his 6th team in seven years who was still hanging around without a team in the beginning of May.

And of course, if you can't judge a player on only one year, then you cannot possibly believe that Garnett has shown the ability to play in the NFL. Doing so would be judging the player on only one year. 

Lastly, this shortened offseason because of Stanford thing is a completely overblown excuse. Oregon, UCLA, and other schools had the same issues. Players from these schools tend to suffer/excell all the same as other schools, but pretty much to the same good/bad standard as anyone else. Missing three weeks of OTAs was unfortunate, but not enough to derail an entire rookie season. Maybe enough to stop him and others from being a Week 1 starter, but that's about it.

And yes, most hated the trade up, but it had a lot to do that it was a trade up for a guy that was expected to go a full round later. Fair or not, it happened.

13 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

No offense meant - but this is all contradictory. First of all, a former 1st round pick that has 'shown the ability to play in the NFL,' is only 24, and plays at a position of major need without a clear starter would not be in any jeopardy of being cut and not making the roster. Garnett is, because he has never shown he has the ability to play in the NFL. He was terrible in 2016, and looked no better in last year's preseason. Could he still be developing? Possibly, but that's not a luxury first round picks get. First round picks need to be clear cut starters by Year 3, not embroiled in a battle for a starting job with a 7th round journeyman on his 6th team in seven years who was still hanging around without a team in the beginning of May.

And of course, if you can't judge a player on only one year, then you cannot possibly believe that Garnett has shown the ability to play in the NFL. Doing so would be judging the player on only one year. 

Lastly, this shortened offseason because of Stanford thing is a completely overblown excuse. Oregon, UCLA, and other schools had the same issues. Players from these schools tend to suffer/excell all the same as other schools, but pretty much to the same good/bad standard as anyone else. Missing three weeks of OTAs was unfortunate, but not enough to derail an entire rookie season. Maybe enough to stop him and others from being a Week 1 starter, but that's about it.

And yes, most hated the trade up, but it had a lot to do that it was a trade up for a guy that was expected to go a full round later. Fair or not, it happened.

Fair enough i just feel guys like this get written of way to quick in my eyes and expectations get unrealistic. Should he be a surefire starter by now yeah probably but who knows what would have happened if he didn't get that injury last year. If he sucks he sucks but what i saw last guy was a guy that can really help us this year. 

With the Stanford thing you often see guys on the O-line struggle a little more from those schools in their first year because it take more time to gel as a unit.

On 2018-08-20 at 6:40 PM, 757-NINER said:

Okay so what's Pita's upside though? I mean I could see if he flashed or had a play or two where you thought, "man, I'd like to see more of him". But I haven't seen anything that warrants more opportunities. I remember watching some of the 1 on 1 pass-rush drills on different days and I was playing very close attention to Pita. Because he's always been viewed as a pass-rusher/Leo first, LB second. Wanted to see if he looked improved, added more to his aresnal...was he stronger, quicker, etc. But I came away unimpressed and slightly disappointed. I didn't see anything substantially better than what I'd seen previously. He didn't stand out in either pre-season game. And the fact that I haven't read one single positive review on him by any of beat writers at the open pratices leads to believe that my eyes weren't deceiving me. I don't recall anyone mentioning Pita as being improved or making plays. Ive heard/read about Harold, Marsh, Attachou, Blair even Watson at some point in these early days of TC. I thought Watson looked pretty good in those same drills, rushing the passer. And he's been a legitimate, space LB his entire pro career so if he can improve in that aspect and it's noticable, I really have to question why Pita hasnt shown much improvement.

It's one thing to want to see more because he shows potential but just to see him because you dont like the guys in front of him on the depth chart, though they seem to be better football players at every turn, just doesn't seem plausible. His play to this point is that of a fringe roster player. In terms of his production/skill-set, he's excatly where he should be in terms of playing time IMO.

I think Watson, Harold and Marsh are all competing@SAM so that's why those guys have gotten most of the reps at SAM. I think Harold makes the most sense there because he's seems to be the better coverage guy but I don't think it's set in stone at all. And Marsh, Attachou, and Watson are all getting reps at Leo to see which guys fit best with certain personnel/packages. Who's better at RE versus LE in the nickel, who looks better in base if Thomas has to play big end, etc. I think they're doing their due diligence with those guys so it's just not alot of opportunities for Pita to get extended looks. There are still personnel decisions up for grabs by guys who will play meaniful snaps on Sundays. 

It's not really based on a whole lot, I'll grant you that, but I've noticed Pita at least 3 times in 2 games, while I've noticed Eli zero time. To me, Pita has shown some strength and some bend, and he's been in the backfield on those plays I noticed him, once putting pressure on the QB against Dallas, and one time helping to blow up a running play. That's not much, and it's against 3s, but it's already more than I've seen from Eli. My point is, we know what we have in Eli. He could sit the next two games, and it wouldn't change anyone's evaluation of him. But playing Pita might change our evaluation of Pita. But yeah, I'd rather we finalize the evaluation of Marsh and Watson too. It's just that I'm too disappointed with what we have at that position to really care about these guys. But is it evaluating that we're doing with them at SAM, or are we still just hoping one of them will be better than they've already shown to be? No one is stepping up. It's probably the most boring position battle we have. Pita wouldn't necessarily make it a better competition. I hope at some point we get some hidden gem a la Colbert/Taylor/Taylor/James (maybe) at the LB spot to complete our future trio. None of the guys we currently have is exciting.

Archived