Preseason week 2 GDT: 49ers vs Texans

Forge

As for McGlinchey, he's help up well in pass protection in the first two games. His run blocking at times has been suspect, but it seems that way for most offensive lineman at this time of the year. Did get owned twice last game that led to a TFL and the other time McNichols made something out of nothing to pick up a few yards.

20 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Do you have a link? And I agree, I don't doubt that the players are going to mentally struggle with how to adjust to the new rule. Sherman tweeted about it yesterday, I believe. 

@mw2noobbuster Here is the vid. Very similar to the Mostert call. Pretty terrible. When the players are leaning down, they are calling that leading with the helmet, and that's just a terrible precedent to be setting. Will definitely change the course of a couple of games this year. 

That call falls more under the Rodgers rule of not driving a QB to he ground than the leading with the helmet rule. Still BS but not the same rule.

For that play where Baldinger gives his analysis i still don't understand wat Juice is doing. He is going outside to a guy already being blocked.

40 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis is just a phenomenal route runner. Great skill when you can run every route the same way to keep the CB on his toes. Like you wouldn't know if he is running a post/comeback/double move/go route. Sells every route well and is able to break it out without using extra steps. He just needs to get a bit more physical and he has all the makings of a future #1 WR in this league.

I wonder if he'll get kick return duties. Didn't he do that in college?

17 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

That call falls more under the Rodgers rule of not driving a QB to he ground than the leading with the helmet rule. Still BS but not the same rule.

Good call. I did realize after you said that and I watched it again, that they actually called roughing the passer and not the leading with the helmet. Awful penalty still, but you're right in that they did not call the same thing. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis returned some punts on Saturday and looked good doing it. I think he will be the PR and Reed will be the KR. 

Agreed. I don't think Pettis will be returning kicks. He and Taylor I imagine will flip flop some on punt return duties. Honestly, I'd probably have Mostert and someone else returning kicks. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

DJ Reed>>>>>>>>>>>

Honestly, haven't been paying attention to Reed returning kicks at this point, so I have no idea how he has been doing. We need two back there, and I would like for Mostert to be one if only because he has a nice burst, good speed, and he's got the long speed to take them to the house. Not sure he has the most ideal vision for it, but it is what it is. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, haven't been paying attention to Reed returning kicks at this point, so I have no idea how he has been doing. We need two back there, and I would like for Mostert to be one if only because he has a nice burst, good speed, and he's got the long speed to take them to the house. Not sure he has the most ideal vision for it, but it is what it is. 

He had two kick returns for 66 yards, including a 45 yarder. In my biased opinion, he locked up the starting KR role after that big return he had on Saturday ¬¬.

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He had two kick returns for 66 yards, including a 45 yarder. In my biased opinion, he locked up the starting KR role after that big return he had on Saturday ¬¬.

Not bad. I mean, he's no Dan Connolly, but that could be serviceable

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Agreed. I don't think Pettis will be returning kicks. He and Taylor I imagine will flip flop some on punt return duties. Honestly, I'd probably have Mostert and someone else returning kicks. 

I definitely think it will be Pettis will be the primary PR until he becomes a fixture on the outside. He's just a natural at making something out of nothing. You could see it Saturday. He did more with a handful of punts than I saw Taylor do all of last year. He's just too good there to let someone else do it IMO.

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I definitely think it will be Pettis will be the primary PR until he becomes a fixture on the outside. He's just a natural at making something out of nothing. You could see it Saturday. He did more with a handful of punts than I saw Taylor do all of last year. He's just too good there to let someone else do it IMO.

I thought Taylor was very good last year. Didn't break any, but I thought he was very good at creating positive yardage when there really shouldn't have been any. He's not a break one type though like Pettis is. I think he's the type who specializes in making returns that should be 0-2 yards into 10-15 yards. I'm not sure what the share load will be between the two, but I definitely think they will both get some

Archived