John Fox vs. Jeff Fisher

Elky

Which coach was worse down the stretch?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. John Fox or Jeff Fisher

• Fox
    • Fisher

Fox dumps on Mr. 7-9. 

Prior to his stint in Chicago, Fox did good in Denver and Carolina. Both teams went to the SB under his respective tenures. He was 73-71 in Carolina and 46-18 in Denver. Also for the record trying to turn Chicago around his harder than trying to beat Animal Antics from Donkey Kong Country 2. We'll see how Nagy fairs on that.

Outside of a few winning seasons in Tennessee. Jeff Fisher has been crap. 

Was there ever a period of time when Fox was considered one of the best coaches in the NFL? In the early-mid 2000s, Jeff Fisher was always in that discussion. Yes, the game passed him by. That can happen. The backlash against Fisher in recent years for his time with the Rams has been way over the top though. Young football fans will only know Fisher as a punchline. 

40 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Was there ever a period of time when Fox was considered one of the best coaches in the NFL? In the early-mid 2000s, Jeff Fisher was always in that discussion. Yes, the game passed him by. That can happen. The backlash against Fisher in recent years for his time with the Rams has been way over the top though. Young football fans will only know Fisher as a punchline. 

Fox was a pretty underrated coach. Not a world beater, but he consistently fielded competitive teams. The guy took a 1-15 team to the Super Bowl in just 2 years, so he obviously had talent as a coach in the old days.

17 minutes ago, Elky said:

Fox was a pretty underrated coach. Not a world beater, but he consistently fielded competitive teams.

Yeah, I thought he was fine. The kind of coach who can help build a respectable team, but not going to give you an advantage when you play the best teams. 

The challenge record is baaaad and like many late 90s-early 00s guys he was too conservative as the game evolved, but overall he had a nice career. 

I'd say they were about on the same level.  Fox's #s look better after the Broncos years, but he had Peyton Manning and the Broncos got smoked in the Super Bowl.  His stint with the Panthers was about the same as Fisher's with the Titans; sporadic playoff appearances (they both even share a close Super Bowl loss) with a lot of underwhelming seasons sandwiched in between.  Both were stubborn.  Fisher stuck with Collins way too long in 2009; Fox stuck with Delhomme way too long in 2009.  Both were too conservative.  Both struggled with halftime and overall adjustments.  

If anything, I think Fisher gets a little underrated nowadays.  He sucked with the Rams, but he wasn't always bad and in comparison to Fox's run with the Panthers, he coached a more consistent team.  Between '99 and '03, the Titans had 4 seasons with double digit wins.  Panthers never had a consecutive winning season under Fox.  

All things even, I doubt you would see much of a difference in your team if you had Fox vs Fisher.  Maybe more penalties under Fisher, but that is about it.

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Jeff Fisher was only considered a top tier coach by the media tbh. "ALWAYS" in the discussion. Even when in his roughly 20 seasons of coaching he only had 6 seasons with a winning record? You're crazy.

36 minutes ago, Danger said:

Jeff Fisher was only considered a top tier coach by the media tbh. "ALWAYS" in the discussion. Even when in his roughly 20 seasons of coaching he only had 6 seasons with a winning record? You're crazy.

"In the early-mid 2000s" was not meant to be separated from the second part. Six playoff appearances from 1999-2008 (and some of those down years were clear rebuilding seasons) and they were competitive in most of those playoff games. Eventually, the game passed him by, something that's pretty normal for guys who coach across eras. I get it, the 7-9 jokes are funny. It's fun to laugh at the "old school" guys when they become out of touch. None of that takes away from his successes.

Anyway, I'm not stating that as an opinion so not sure why I'm crazy for saying it. That was actually the perception of Jeff Fisher during that period, he was considered one of the best coaches in football. I never found him transcendent or anything, but always viewed him as a solid, competent coach. 

I would have to say Fisher had a harder fall than Fox.

Fox at least went to the SB with the Broncos and had consistent 12+ win seasons. It was definitely more because of the talent of the Broncos and having an all time great at QB, but Fisher is pretty much known for consistently going 7-9 for his entire tenure with the Rams.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Tough for me to say. Peyton was 99% of Fox’s success in Denver. Without him, I don’t think that team makes those Super Bowls. 

I’d probably go with Fisher. He was consistently as outside of that 99 team from what I remember. 

I do give Fox credit for managing to win a playoff game with Tim Tebow as his QB in 2011, that has to count for something.

I think Fisher was a better coach early in his career, but he also was a worse coach by the end of his career. The game had completely passed by both coaches though.

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I'd say they were about on the same level.  Fox's #s look better after the Broncos years, but he had Peyton Manning and the Broncos got smoked in the Super Bowl.  His stint with the Panthers was about the same as Fisher's with the Titans; sporadic playoff appearances (they both even share a close Super Bowl loss) with a lot of underwhelming seasons sandwiched in between.  Both were stubborn.  Fisher stuck with Collins way too long in 2009; Fox stuck with Delhomme way too long in 2009.  Both were too conservative.  Both struggled with halftime and overall adjustments.  

If anything, I think Fisher gets a little underrated nowadays.  He sucked with the Rams, but he wasn't always bad and in comparison to Fox's run with the Panthers, he coached a more consistent team.  Between '99 and '03, the Titans had 4 seasons with double digit wins.  Panthers never had a consecutive winning season under Fox.  

All things even, I doubt you would see much of a difference in your team if you had Fox vs Fisher.  Maybe more penalties under Fisher, but that is about it.

I think I'd have to take Fox for one reason. In his later years, Fox recognized the value of a good offensive mind. He hired Gase and McCoy. Loggains was the big mistake after he lost Gase. Fisher never seemed to be able to be willing to surrender enough control of the offense to hire a decent offensive mind. He had shots at plenty of talented coaches (Hue Jackson, John DeFilippo, Kyle Shanahan, etc.), but always chose to hire somebody who would let him maintain control.

Archived