Eli Harold traded to lions

49erurtaza

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

I would have rather just cut him considering we play Detroit in week 2.. now they have too much inside information

Not like our defense is designed to be tricky or anything. I really don't care about the inside information he is able to provide. If Detroit was really serious about that, they can just sign one of the defensive players we release and put that player on the PS. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not really sure what this has to do with Warner? I mean Harold in nickel situations wasn't in the game anyways. Or is Maiocco saying Warner will get some time at SAM on base downs?

Warner had 7 sacks throughout college, it could be a good idea to try him at SAM. 

Warner - SAM

Smith- WILL

Foster- MIKE

1 hour ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Warner had 7 sacks throughout college, it could be a good idea to try him at SAM. 

Warner - SAM

Smith- WILL

Foster- MIKE

I think I may be still battling through preconceived notions of Warner. I didn't have him tagged yet as a defender that can hold his ground well against TE/OL blockers. As an edge rusher, I'd figure him completely done if he doesn't get entirely around a blocker, and I mean worse than Manny Lawson. Just have to see more, I dunno. 

.. and I'm struggling to count on Malcolm Smith for anything, other than cap stealing and bench warming. :P 

21 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I think I may be still battling through preconceived notions of Warner. I didn't have him tagged yet as a defender that can hold his ground well against TE/OL blockers. As an edge rusher, I'd figure him completely done if he doesn't get entirely around a blocker, and I mean worse than Manny Lawson. Just have to see more, I dunno. 

.. and I'm struggling to count on Malcolm Smith for anything, other than cap stealing and bench warming. :P 

We may have better options to rush the passer, which is a skill that we need more than coverage at SAM in my opinion; so if he's good, maybe he should replace Smith for the WILL (or put him at MIKE and Foster at WILL). Unless they're changing the essence of the SAM position to a coverage LB, then I think Warner fits there. 

This was just such an obvious move to make. I already preferred Watson to him, and believed Pita should get more reps. I don't know about the other guy with a weird spelling, but he's perhaps shown more upside than Eli. During the offseason, I figured Marsh should be part of the competition at SAM, instead of Leo. I'd rather Atchou to rotate at Leo, perhaps with a returning Elvis, and perhaps even Marsh, while Marsh is also getting looks at SAM with Watson, depending on the context and the opponent. 

But I like the idea of simply having your best LBs on the field at the same time. I don't know if Malcolm Smith is one of our top 3. Has he ever been healthy long enough to show what he's got? But if he is, and Warner also is, scheme be damned, play all 3 as much as you. I know the scheme calls for specific roles and assignments, but you adjust to the players you have, you create new roles, and you give assignments that make sense. You don't just leave one of your best players on the bench simply because he doesn't fit a preconceived notion of what X player should be. If you don't have that X player on your roster, just play the next best thing.

Archived