Depth Chart Projection: Offense

WindyCity

QB: Trubisky, Daniel [2]

I think that Bray is going to IR so that he can hang around and help the bottom of the roster guys. If Trubisky goes down they can return him off of IR and have a backup to Daniel.

RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Burton [4]

They seem to want to use a FB and they did in KC so I think Burton is safe and the top 3 RBs look pretty clear and easy to read. They need to have someone on the PR because Cohen is not a 25 carry a game guy.

WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, White, Bellamy [6]

The top 3 and maybe even 4 are obvious and I still think that White will make the team and be inactive on game days. Bellamy cannot be gotten rid of so this group has less drama then one would think. The real question is can the bury White on the depth chart if he does not play special teams. It seems that Wims has taken the #4 spot, which is a nice development.

TE: Burton, Shaheen, Sims, Brown [4]

The Shaheen injury pretty much guarantees that 4 TEs make the roster. With how much TE is featured in the offense the Bears need to make sure they have options.

OL [9]

LT: Leno, Sowell
LG: Daniels, Kush
C: Whitehair
RG: Long, Watford
RT: Massie, Coward

I think that the Bears will keep 9 OLmen to protect against health concerns and because I think they have really good depth. Watford is apparently having a great camp. Coward has probably played well enough that pushing him through to the PR is too much of a risk. Sowell seems locked into the the swing tackle role and is the only guy who has taken LT reps. I think it is important to keep Coward active because he may be an upgrade over Massie half way through the season.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

No love for Braunnecker? I'm not sure Wims makes the 53 let alone is slotted ahead of White, but we shall see! 

I'd prefer Braunecker over Michael Burton. Burton was pretty mediocre and has a LOW ceiling.  I'd have Braunecker trying to gain size and strength like they have been doing with RHH. Her will never be an elite blocker but can improve and would be a potentially solid weapon out of the backfield. He physically is damn close to Eifert (and tested REALLY close to Harold Landry). He is more than just dump off option, and if he can be an average blocker out of FB he is a legitimate starter talent there. If not him I'd be content enough to stash Nall on the PS and do that with him. Sherman was more than just a blocker in KC. Not much, but still.

Plus if he sucks there next year as a RFA you can move on without issue.

I prefer Brown over Bellamy. I would have Wims listed as the 6th WR. White will be listed above Wims, but that likely doesn't end that way (IR).  Gentry will likely be a PS stsh for us to add if White gets injured. Hopefully he can find a role in special teams. If not then maybe someone gets cut that does well there.

I think Bray makes it but is a gameday inactive. He will literally just be a guy who helps the system be implemented. Cushy job, he is practically another QB assistant.

They probably already know all but like 4 guys at this point from practices.  Injuries will also be a factor that could swing another guy or two this way or that.  

Hard for us to know not watching every practice rep and then discussing in meetings about who is coachable, improving, etc.  

I think Wims has a real shot because he’s huge and people like to gamble on huge. Rightfully so.  

I think Braunecker over Brown personally. Also, they can’t just decide Bray goes to IR. They can overstate something if it’s there, but they can’t just make something up. Is a 3rd string QB who will go unclaimed if released anyway worth risking forfeited draft picks? I sure don’t think so. 

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

....and Watford was just cut

I imagine we will be claiming someone else soon. That leaves 8, which is just not enough to depend on with Long's injury history. You can almost just pencil Leno in for 16 without blinking, but still.

Pretty surprised about Watford, thought he was decent depth, saw that Will Pericak was seeing time with the 1s in practice last week when Kyle Long had a day off. Maybe they like him or Jordan Morgan more than we think they do, but it'd still be a surprise to see either make the roster. I agree, most likely is we're gonna claim a guard in the next week.

Did Sowell play any guard last season or am I getting mixed up with Compton?

7 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Pretty surprised about Watford, thought he was decent depth, saw that Will Pericak was seeing time with the 1s in practice last week when Kyle Long had a day off. Maybe they like him or Jordan Morgan more than we think they do, but it'd still be a surprise to see either make the roster. I agree, most likely is we're gonna claim a guard in the next week.

He did indeed. Played some LG last year.

13 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

Ahh yeah so could be they want more versatility in their three backup linemen. Still rather we claimed someone though...

Agreed. I'm betting we snag someone after final cuts. Maybe not, or maybe they really feel Coward is already prepared to be the top reserve OT.

I'd say I'm nervous about that, but I am already nervous with Massie at RT. lol

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:59 AM, RJ_11 said:

Sowell sprained his ankle vs KC. I'm not sure Sowell can be counted on for GB or SEA.

Archived