Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

I have to say the way David Tepper handled the Ron Rivera firing was about as classless a  thing as I’ve seen in sports and it should serve as a reminder to those of us (myself most especially included) who want an ownership change with the Broncos that the grass isn’t always greener. I said the same thing about how GB, usually a classy organization, handled things with McCarthy last year. This was just as bad. 

Rivera is a two-time coach of the year, widely respected, worked his way up through the position coach and coordinator ranks, coached his team to a Super Bowl, was scandal-free, had no locker room turmoil, clean hands off the field, has a ring as a player, you name it. If Tepper wanted to make a change, after as long as Rivera has been there, that’s fine, I get it, and it’s his team. But let the man coach out the season. He’s earned that right. His team hadn’t quit on him and it wasn’t an untenable situation a la Mac here in 2010. It’s not like Carolina was winless either, sure losing to the insipid Redskins is an embarrassment, but not one worth dismissing a respected, long-tenured coach in that matter. 

If I was C-Mac or Kuechley or Olson or even Cam, at the very least I’d have spoken with Tepper privately if not vented to a beat reporter.  Hell, if I was C-Mac, I’d have demanded a trade to the Broncos the next day 😆

/rant 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think the worst was Snyder and Allen calling Gruden in at 5 in the morning to fire him. Honestly just do it over voicemail/text so I can go back to sleep. 

Agree but being a total POS is expected of Dan Snyder by this point. With all due respect to Jamie Dolan, he is the worst owner in major American professional sports. As classless as he is incompetent. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Agree but being a total POS is expected of Dan Snyder by this point. With all due respect to Jamie Dolan, he is the worst owner in major American professional sports. As classless as he is incompetent. 

I honestly don't understand how Redskins fans have the energy to do anything but ***** about Snyder. No way I could get caught up in the day-to-day football operations when I know none of it will matter. No hope when your owner sucks. 

• Like 1

What Lamar Jackson has done this year has been insane.  I don’t think the quadriceps injury is serious enough to keep him from playing this week, but that offense, what they ask him to do, and the amount of running he does is not sustainable long term in the NFL.  He (and the ravens should want this as well) needs to put literally all his focus on staying in the pocket, honing in his passing, and running only when necessary or this will be a flash in the pan over the next 3 seasons.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, germ-x said:

What Lamar Jackson has done this year has been insane.  I don’t think the quadriceps injury is serious enough to keep him from playing this week, but that offense, what they ask him to do, and the amount of running he does is not sustainable long term in the NFL.  He (and the ravens should want this as well) needs to put literally all his focus on staying in the pocket, honing in his passing, and running only when necessary or this will be a flash in the pan over the next 3 seasons.

His passing numbers from the pocket are spectacular. They can cut down on the rushes but it's a waste of his talents if you're not taking advantage of the threat a little bit to open up the passing game. 

48 minutes ago, germ-x said:

You couldn't be more right. 

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

His passing numbers from the pocket are spectacular. They can cut down on the rushes but it's a waste of his talents if you're not taking advantage of the threat a little bit to open up the passing game. 

I think thats a fair statement. What I agree with @germ-x about is the amount of carries he has, 151 so far this year and counting. Those are RB type numbers. That, I do not believe is sustainable.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

I think thats a fair statement. What I agree with @germ-x about is the amount of carries he has, 151 so far this year and counting. Those are RB type numbers. That, I do not believe is sustainable.

That organization is really smart, maybe the smartest outside of New England. You can bet the numbers drop year to year as he develops. He's already made noteworthy strides as a passer. But right now, they have an excellent all around team with a great shot to win a Super Bowl. And when you're in that kind of window, you just do what gives you the best chance to win. Guy's like Barry Sanders at the QB position and great defenses have looked silly defending him. 

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That organization is really smart, maybe the smartest outside of New England. You can bet the numbers drop year to year as he develops. He's already made noteworthy strides as a passer. But right now, they have an excellent all around team with a great shot to win a Super Bowl. And when you're in that kind of window, you just do what gives you the best chance to win. Guy's like Barry Sanders at the QB position and great defenses have looked silly defending him. 

I can't disagree with one point you made. That said, he can't make a career out of it. I always thought Steve Young was the epitome of a running QB. He averaged about 60 attempts per year, was effective and made him very hard to defend. Lamar is on pace for 185 carries in the regular season alone. 

Thats a lot.

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

They are definitely spectacular, but how much of that is due to the fact he's such a threat to run on a consistent basis? I would be interested to see how he would play with a known hamstring/quad/calf injury whereby teams will play him like a traditional pocket passer.

Love Lamar. If anyone says he isn't their favourite player in the league to watch, they need to lay off the drugs.

• Like 1