Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

On the larger issue, it is fascinating how the explosion of new media, not just social media but the web, smart phones, streaming and everyone having 250+ channels instead of six, has fragmented the sports landscape but also enriched it. 

My dad (who is 70) tells me about how when he was in school they would wheel a TV into the classroom and everyone would take a break from school to watch the World Series. The 11 year old fat girl and the PE teacher, who was also football, baseball and basketball coach, could follow the game, know the players, and discuss it all in an informed manner. When I was in high school, in the late 1990s, everyone could discuss last night's game 3 of the finals with Jordan's Bulls taking on Payton's Sonics. 

Now, it's very different. Every sport but the NFL is a niche sport and/or a regional sport. The NFL is only ubiquitous, or near-unambitious sport. College football (regional, south/Midwest), the NBA (niche, young and minority), MLB (regional and niche, older, eastern, white), NASCAR (niche and regional, white, southern, rural), NHL (regional, north), soccer (niche, young and urban). Yet the 25 year old single female elementary school teacher next to me at the bar checks her fantasy football team as frequently as I do. 

To the point Deuce makes, this allows the leagues to market directly to their niche or regional audience, charging greater fees as the market the advertiser/sponsor wants to reach are all right there. If you're selling life insurance or financial services it doesn't make a ton of sense to market to a NBA fan. It doesn't make sense to try to sell a Ford pickup truck to a soccer fan who probably lives in an urban area and uses either public transit or drives a Prius.

Furthermore, it allows players of non-NFL sports to interact with their fans in ways that could possibly turn off someone else. A NBA player can say or do things, in Deuce's words have a bigger personality, that Aaron Rodgers can't because someone like Rodgers can't risk alienating the middle aged, middle class businessman even if saying or doing something endears him to the 25 year old black guy who works as a club DJ. The anthem protests caused problems for the NFL they likely would not have for the NBA or MLS. Said protests, on the other hand, would have had a greater negative impact had it been done in front of a NASCAR or MLB fan base. 

Fascinating discussion. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

On the larger issue, it is fascinating how the explosion of new media, not just social media but the web, smart phones, streaming and everyone having 250+ channels instead of six, has fragmented the sports landscape but also enriched it. 

My dad (who is 70) tells me about how when he was in school they would wheel a TV into the classroom and everyone would take a break from school to watch the World Series. The 11 year old fat girl and the PE teacher, who was also football, baseball and basketball coach, could follow the game, know the players, and discuss it all in an informed manner. When I was in high school, in the late 1990s, everyone could discuss last night's game 3 of the finals with Jordan's Bulls taking on Payton's Sonics. 

Now, it's very different. Every sport but the NFL is a niche sport and/or a regional sport. The NFL is only ubiquitous, or near-unambitious sport. College football (regional, south/Midwest), the NBA (niche, young and minority), MLB (regional and niche, older, eastern, white), NASCAR (niche and regional, white, southern, rural), NHL (regional, north), soccer (niche, young and urban). Yet the 25 year old single female elementary school teacher next to me at the bar checks her fantasy football team as frequently as I do. 

To the point Deuce makes, this allows the leagues to market directly to their niche or regional audience, charging greater fees as the market the advertiser/sponsor wants to reach are all right there. If you're selling life insurance or financial services it doesn't make a ton of sense to market to a NBA fan. It doesn't make sense to try to sell a Ford pickup truck to a soccer fan who probably lives in an urban area and uses either public transit or drives a Prius.

Furthermore, it allows players of non-NFL sports to interact with their fans in ways that could possibly turn off someone else. A NBA player can say or do things, in Deuce's words have a bigger personality, that Aaron Rodgers can't because someone like Rodgers can't risk alienating the middle aged, middle class businessman even if saying or doing something endears him to the 25 year old black guy who works as a club DJ. The anthem protests caused problems for the NFL they likely would not have for the NBA or MLS. Said protests, on the other hand, would have had a greater negative impact had it been done in front of a NASCAR or MLB fan base. 

Fascinating discussion. 

No doubt man. Every day after school I would get home to watch PTI and Around the Horn and hope they would talk about the 4-1 Jake Plummer led Broncos. Now I haven't watched ESPN in years. I get very silo-d information from my different blogs and twitter.

My GF gets extremely annoyed when I watch Nuggets games and get deep into twitter because I love discussing with other fans and the bloggers covering the team. It's part of the experience for me, but it also means I'm staring at my phone lol. 

• Like 2

Not trying to start a political debate in any way shape or form. But this government shutdown is gonna be like the baseball strike of 94. Seemed like a huge deal until the entire country realized they didn't really miss it. Took the MLB nearly a decade to recover from that; hope those career politicians realize that lol. 

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 2

Question!

Rumors have it that the Broncos may be in on trying to get Flacco. If this really is the case, how would you guys react to him being on your team? Was just curious about it. I think Flacco in Denver would be really good, but wanted to know how y'all viewed him. Would he be a waste or a net gain?

9 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Question!

Rumors have it that the Broncos may be in on trying to get Flacco. If this really is the case, how would you guys react to him being on your team? Was just curious about it. I think Flacco in Denver would be really good, but wanted to know how y'all viewed him. Would he be a waste or a net gain?

I don't see him as an NFL starter....I'd prefer Keenum tbh...who I also don't view as an NFL starter

8 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Question!

Waste.  At best, he's a marginal upgrade at his skill decline / level of his career.   We're not good enough where a stopgap QB makes a difference, and we're already throwing away 10M in dead money with Keenum.

Frankly, only casual fans would likely be excited, mainly out of desperation that Keenum is our starter, not realizing that the cap hit and pick capital lost would be far better served continuing the rebuild.   The players even acknowledge it's a rebuild.  Elway's the only one who won't say it publicly, but when the players start saying it...well you get the idea.

Edited by Broncofan

22 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Question!

Question for you - how do the Ravens plan on getting rid of Flacco?

If they cut him, with $16mil dead cap and likely $5mil needed to sign a backup for Jackson (necessary), they would only save $5mil or so?

If they trade him, what kind of return would you expect? Who do you see as teams willing to trade for him? Broncos, Jaguars, Giants?

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Well boys, a week in steamboat springs has my body on the verge of collapse but what a beautiful mountain

It's a great place. I lived in that area for about 5 years in the 70's working on power houses. Absolutely loved it.

3 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

Question for you - how do the Ravens plan on getting rid of Flacco?

If they cut him, with $16mil dead cap and likely $5mil needed to sign a backup for Jackson (necessary), they would only save $5mil or so?

If they trade him, what kind of return would you expect? Who do you see as teams willing to trade for him? Broncos, Jaguars, Giants?

They want to trade him. Ravens have a ton of wiggle room this year with a lot of people coming off the books. So either through trade or release, they'll be ok. RG3 signed for I believe 1 million last year, I dont think it will take 5 million. If so, the Ravens may do as they normally do and take someone in the draft and be a warm body for 4 years.

I dont expect a huge return for Flacco unless the market is hotter than I think on teams wanting to trade for him. I see no higher than a 3rd or 4th. Only because teams know he is gone regardless. May wanna enter a bidding war on the free market than give up picks, y'know?

Regardless of where he goes, I'll be there cheering him on. I just think Flacco with Kubes is great football. I also think Flacco is a lot better than the credit he has gotten lately. Only think I'm concerned with is his body. Been through a lot last half of his seasons.

Sorry if this looks wonky, typing from cell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Snow storm and possibly rain/snow in KC.  That’s a big help for trench warfare.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see an upset.  Or the under (57 pts wow).   Or both.  

I'm picking the upset regardless.  Colts drives will be more sustainable throughout the game bc of their line. Chiefs rely on th big play.

Idc how good Mahomes is it's still a different beast in the playoffs and his first postseason game. 

Thats funny thats the one game I have no preferred winner. Wouldn't mind seing chiefs or colts win.

Obviously I want the Chargers. 

Obviously I hate the Cowboys. 

Obviously everyone loves the Foles story and wants it to continue. 

Edited by thebestever6

32 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm picking the upset regardless.  Colts drives will be more sustainable throughout the game bc of their line. Chiefs rely on th big play.

Idc how good Mahomes is it's still a different beast in the playoffs and his first postseason game. 

Thats funny thats the one game I have no preferred winner. Wouldn't mind seing chiefs or colts win.

Obviously I want the Chargers. 

Obviously I hate the Cowboys. 

Obviously everyone loves the Foles story and wants it to continue. 

I already took IND +5.5.   On neutral field I’d take IND money line but seems simpler to take the points.  TO’s & HFA harder to predict.  

The under was a tougher call before the weather but the teams that give KC trouble  can control the clock with run game / possession pass game and can mount pressure to contain Mahomes (pretty much all you can do).  IND can definitely do the O part to keep Mahomes off the field.  How they contain him, plus TO’s, is the great unknown.  Should be a great game.  This slate of 4 games looks awesome. 

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm picking the upset regardless.  Colts drives will be more sustainable throughout the game bc of their line. Chiefs rely on th big play   

Huge inactive for the Colts - Malik Hooker is out.  Huge loss today.  

The line that over 70 percent of the earth is covered by water and the rest by Hooker was my favorite line on Draft Night 2017 (yes it was first for Deion lol). 

Big impact to limit those big plays.  Still think it’s close but the job got a lot harder.   

Edited by Broncofan