Who is going to lead the NFL in sacks this year?

Jeezla

On 8/24/2018 at 12:17 PM, Danger said:

Graham is a top 10 edge rusher in the league but his sack numbers alone don't reflect how valuable he is. I don't necessarily think that changes this year.

And yet the OP asks who will lead in sacks.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

And yet the OP asks who will lead in sacks.

Then you are missing the point of the post I made. I more or less was saying I agree, he's a great DE, but his sack numbers have not, and will not reflect that.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:23 PM, megatechpc said:

Vic Beasley already did it once so I know he has the ability to do it again, plus he is fully healthy and is being moved back into being a pure pass-rushing DE again (why on earth they tried to use him in any other way in the first place I'll never know).  Granted I'm a Falcons fan so I'm obviously being biased with this pick, but as I said he did lead the league two years ago with 15.5 sacks so its not a completely unreasonable blind-***-fan pick.

Objectively, its hard to ever go against Von Miller or JJ Watt in this category.  Both of those guys have been absolutely incredible for years now but we don't know if Watt's injuries have finally caught up to him, and Miller hasn't been as dominating recently (after losing Ware on the other side).  There are so many stud pass rushers in the league you could probably make a case for like 20 guys to end up with the most sacks this season.  Should be fun!

Miller is just as good. It's just hard to put up big sack numbers unless you have a pro bowl guy on the same DL as you. Malik Jackson is also gone as of the last 2 years and he's a pretty impactful interior rusher. He doesn't have those guys around him right now, hence significantly more attention. It's the same reason I think Bosa can outsack both Mack and Von this year, but I don't think he's as good. He has a stellar secondary behind him and Ingram is pretty damn good too (top 10 pass rusher in the league as well).

Beasley isn't in the conversation because quite frankly, he doesn't generate pressure like the other guys. The year beasley had 15.5 sacks, he had only 45 pressures. For comparison, Mack had 96 that year. 96, which is over double what Beasley had. And von and the others weren't far behind. Point being that he converted a lot of chances that year, but it was more luck based on the fact that he converted an insanely high amount of his pressures to sacks, which other guys who are better than him weren't able to do (meaning it obviously wasn't a product of his skill/athleticism). Obviously his role changed last year, but clearly he fell back down to earth with 5 sacks. Until he starts generating pressure at an elite/near elite level, he probably is an unlikely bet to repeat as sack leader.

20 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Miller is just as good. It's just hard to put up big sack numbers unless you have a pro bowl guy on the same DL as you. Malik Jackson is also gone as of the last 2 years and he's a pretty impactful interior rusher. He doesn't have those guys around him right now, hence significantly more attention. It's the same reason I think Bosa can outsack both Mack and Von this year, but I don't think he's as good. He has a stellar secondary behind him and Ingram is pretty damn good too (top 10 pass rusher in the league as well).

Beasley isn't in the conversation because quite frankly, he doesn't generate pressure like the other guys. The year beasley had 15.5 sacks, he had only 45 pressures. For comparison, Mack had 96 that year. 96, which is over double what Beasley had. And von and the others weren't far behind. Point being that he converted a lot of chances that year, but it was more luck based on the fact that he converted an insanely high amount of his pressures to sacks, which other guys who are better than him weren't able to do (meaning it obviously wasn't a product of his skill/athleticism). Obviously his role changed last year, but clearly he fell back down to earth with 5 sacks. Until he starts generating pressure at an elite/near elite level, he probably is an unlikely bet to repeat as sack leader.

Yeah, it was a total homer pick I won't deny that.  But remember that 2016 was only his second season and last year the Falcons screwed up by trying to make him more versatile rather than letting him focus solely on the pass rush (and he had an injury early on that lingered throughout the rest of the year).  Anytime a player gets 15.5 sacks you can't simply attribute it all to luck, but I agree that he's probably not going to ever be an elite pass rusher on the level of Miller, Mack, Watt, etc.  I am just hoping that Takk really takes things up to another level this year (and he was solid last year) and provides that bookend for Vic to allow him more opportunities at sacks and hurries this year.  He's definitely a very good DE and should be capable of consistent 10+ sack seasons from here on out.

Archived