Who is going to lead the NFL in sacks this year?

Jeezla

Pending health of course:

- Yannick, why? He’s playing on a team that stops the run and is full of pass rushers. The secondary is among the top in the league, which always helps pass rushers. The Jags’ offense typically keeps things close, and that combined with a stout run D, leads to teams being forced to pass. He doesn’t get doubled with how many guys are on that line. 

- Watt, why? Again, pending health, Watt is amongst the best in the league. He’s playing with a potentially high powered offense which will keep the Texans ahead. Clowney (and Watt) is one of the best run defenders in the league, it’s not easy to run on them. With an improved secondary, the defense should be nasty. Watt just needs to be healthy and prove he still has it. 

- Von, why? The offense shouldn’t be nearly as bad as it was last year. Teams won’t double Chubb in favor of doubling Von, but it’ll create some havoc. The Broncos D lost Talib, but they should still be a great unit. 

My prediction? 

Aaron Donald. Donald is playing with two monsters up front and two dangerous CBs in his secondary, along with an offense that will put up points - forcing teams to play catch-up. He’s not exactly in a traditional contract year (the Rams aren’t letting him walk) but taking it to prime-Watt levels will force their hand in negotiations. 

18 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The Eagles probably have too much depth/rotations for any one guy to lead the league, tbh.

Was just about to post this but was looking up stats. ?

Graham led Eagles DE in snaps 728 "technically" Bennett had 941 with Seattle. Won't happen as a Eagle.

Compared to players like Jones 1100+, Jordan/Mack 1000+, Clowney 980, Miller/Griffen/Ngakoue/Bosa 840/50+.  More opportunities you have the better your chances to accumulate sacks.

Chandler Jones might be a safe bet.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Graham led Eagles DE in snaps 728 "technically" Bennett had 941 with Seattle. Won't happen as a Eagle.

Compared to players like Jones 1100+, Jordan/Mack 1000+, Clowney 980, Miller/Griffen/Ngakoue 840/50+.  More opportunities you have the more chances to accumulate sacks.

And you’d have to assume that A) Barnett’s totals are going to go up, and B) Josh Sweat figures into the mix. 

Even if Long’s snaps go down and Bennett only gets as many as Curry got, you’re still looking at a pretty big spread. I’d be pretty surprised to see an Eagle as the league leader.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

. I’d be pretty surprised to see an Eagle as the league leader

Agree. There's a better chance they lead the league in sacks as a Defense, then actually having the NFL's sack leader. However even that is doubtful as well.

I don't think Donald is going to benefit from Suh as much as Suh will benefit from Donald. Think teams are going to be far more likely to let a guard try to handle Suh 1v1 than vice versa. Both sound pretty disastrous, but one much worse than the other. I know just based on where they lineup it is trickier to double Donald, but that's what teams have been attempting and will probably continue to attempt unless they think they can shutdown Suh with 2 blockers (in which case they'll just accept and gameplan around the fact that Donald is going to generate pressure up the middle).

I think Bosa is a a good shout, and of course you have your usual suspects like Von, Mack, and Watt. If I had to bet, I'd just play it safe and go with Von. 

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Compared to players like Jones 1100+, Jordan/Mack 1000+, Clowney 980, Miller/Griffen/Ngakoue/Bosa 840/50+.  More opportunities you have the better your chances to accumulate sacks.

That's not pass rush snaps though. That's total snaps.

43 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

That's not pass rush snaps though. That's total snaps.

That's snaps they were still on the field for. In some cases 300 more then BG. I have no clue how many were Passing snaps but surely 1/2 of those "2-300" were given this current pass wacky league.

Vic Beasley already did it once so I know he has the ability to do it again, plus he is fully healthy and is being moved back into being a pure pass-rushing DE again (why on earth they tried to use him in any other way in the first place I'll never know).  Granted I'm a Falcons fan so I'm obviously being biased with this pick, but as I said he did lead the league two years ago with 15.5 sacks so its not a completely unreasonable blind-***-fan pick.

Objectively, its hard to ever go against Von Miller or JJ Watt in this category.  Both of those guys have been absolutely incredible for years now but we don't know if Watt's injuries have finally caught up to him, and Miller hasn't been as dominating recently (after losing Ware on the other side).  There are so many stud pass rushers in the league you could probably make a case for like 20 guys to end up with the most sacks this season.  Should be fun!

Archived