How good would you rank the following QBs average offensive supporting cast

patriotsheatyan

Rivers has played with 2 HoF for a good portion of his career. Not sure why he is ranked so low here.

Roethlisberger has had Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Antonio Brown, Jerome Bettis, and Leveon Bell. 

Randy Moss and Gronk may be the only 2 "elite" skill players Brady has ever played with, but both are HoFers.

Peyton has had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Demaryius Thomas, and Edgerin James. Dallas Clark was very reliable for a while as well. Really good, but still not as good Roethlisberger.

Eli has had Plaxico Burress, OBJ, and Tiki for a few years, although he wasn't on any of the SB teams when Eli was really hitting his stride. A lot of other guys looked like stars, but were just flashes in a pan. Cruz had one monster season in 2011, and Eli was incredible that season. Then he got hurt. Nicks was good for a little while, then got hurt. Steve Smith had one great year, then got hurt.

Brees had Tomlinson for a while. After that... Marques Colston? Jimmy Graham? Brandon Cooks? He has made everyone and anyone look good. Colston is probably the best of all of them. 

And then there is Aaron Rodgers, who I'm convinced made his best receiver, Jordy Nelson, look much better than he actually is. His running backs have been wide receivers and castoffs.

I'd rank them Roethlisberger, Peyton, Rivers, Brady, Eli, Brees, Rodgers in terms of best to worst. 

I didn't take into account the OL. Going through all the guys who had blocked for these guys would take up too much time. Off the top of my head though, Brees had a few really good guards, Rodgers has a stud LT, Peyton had a very good C, Eli had a very solid OL in the 2007-2010 range, Roethlisberger had Faneca, DeCastro is very good, and has a very good line now thanks to Munchak, and Brady I don't think has ever had a single great lineman, but Scarnecchia is the best in the business.

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

If we are actually taking OL into consideration here, Big Ben likely had the worst average OL over the course of his career. The OL was pretty terrible for most of his career until recently.

Yeah, Ben's had a great cast the last couple years, but taking OL into account it was pretty bad for a lot of 05-12 or so.

Rivers has played with 2 HoF for a good portion of his career. Not sure why he is ranked so low here

He played with LT for 4 seasons and only 2006 and 2007 were when LT was in his prime. I will give you Gates, but Rivers hasn't played with the greatest supporting cast for nearly a decade now. 2018 might be the first time since 2007 where I would say he has an above average offensive supporting cast. 

On 8/30/2018 at 2:11 PM, Bobikus said:

Yeah, Ben's had a great cast the last couple years, but taking OL into account it was pretty bad for a lot of 05-12 or so.

Ben made his line look worse because of his usual mistakes during those years.

I'm really shocked to see Eli so high on so many lists. He's had some decent receivers over the years but until OBJ none of them were even close to considered elite or great. We haven't had an all star level RB since Tiki, his Oline has been a mess for years, and it's been a revolving door of TE's

Brady = Gronk,Moss (HOF)
Rivers= Gates,LT (HOF)
Ben= Brown/Bell (Elites)
Brees and Rodgers are alot like Eli a couple of good receivers over the years but no elites

If I had to rank them..

Ben
Brady
Peyton
Rivers
Eli
Rodgers
Brees

15 hours ago, everlong said:

Ben made his line look worse because of his usual mistakes during those years.

If anything made the line look worse it was Arians trying to run a 7-step drop based offense with a garbage line.  Ben if anything made it look better by being so hard to bring down.  The line was also heavily plagued by injuries in a couple of those years, so a team where the starting 5 lineman weren't good were basically down to just needing some random walk-on to be lineman #10.

Well if it's players not really a Q that Big Ben's cast is outstanding.

Keep in mind that coaches are responsible for getting the most out of the surrounding cast.   If you have 0's in your lineup, they can't make them stars, and stars help mitigate bad coaching - but anything in between, the HC & OC have a huuuuuuge influence (see:  Jeff Fisher & John Fox bad,  Kyle Shanahan & Sean McVay good examples..and the stalwards BB & Payton, his seeming-hatred of Mark Ingram notwithstanding).

For that reason alone I have to put Brady at the top with Ben & Brees...and downgrade Rivers & ARod a TON.   SD's coaching staff and McCarthy have been awful HC's.  McCarthy is living off name value and that 1 SB alone. 

Archived