Better Defensiveback: Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott

mdonnelly21

39 members have voted

1. 1. Better Defensive Back

3 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

This is a comparison that depends on each individual and what traits they prefer. Both are good at everything. Once excels as a center fielder. The other excels as an enforcer. 

I take Lott because I like smash mouth football. 

Lott was much more than an enforcer. He was a 4 time probowler and 2 time all pro corner before he made the move to safety. I think Reed  is the best center fielder the league has seen but Lott was the best defensive back I have ever seen. He was not limited at any aspect of the game and was the best in the game at certain parts.

4 hours ago, Big Snack said:

Lott was much more than an enforcer. He was a 4 time probowler and 2 time all pro corner before he made the move to safety. I think Reed  is the best center fielder the league has seen but Lott was the best defensive back I have ever seen. He was not limited at any aspect of the game and was the best in the game at certain parts.

Bingo. Lott was an enforcer, but that's because it was asked of him. He was also adept at just about anything else you would need from him. 

15 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I think this is like 

1A 

1B. 

That would be Troy, Dawkins, Reed.

Blount and Lott made more of an impact in terms of revolutionizing the position for their eras and football in general. But Reed and the other 2 were also revolutionary players in their own right and did it during a modern passing era that made it much tougher to play the position.

My top DB's: 1A-1C Troy, Dawkins, Reed, Woodson(4), Lott(5) , Blount (6)

3 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

That would be Troy, Dawkins, Reed.

Blount and Lott made more of an impact in terms of revolutionizing the position for their eras and football in general. But Reed and the other 2 were also revolutionary players in their own right and did it during a modern passing era that made it much tougher to play the position.

My top DB's: 1A-1C Troy, Dawkins, Reed, Woodson(4), Lott(5) , Blount (6)

I've never really felt like there was a discussion between Reed and or Troy and Dawkins. 

Troy was one of the all time great safeties no question and he made some amazing late game plays from what I remember whether it was a sack on a blitz, forced fumble, Interception or huge hit. 

However, I also seen Troy get burned a lot in in coverages against elite WR's. The game that comes to mind the most is the Steelers vs Cardinals Superbowl, where Kurt Warner destroyed the Steelers secondary. 

There were plenty of other games. All in all I think Troy might be the most balanced but I would take Reed 10/10 because I knew you could count on him more often then not to lock down the middle of the field which is what I think is most important for Safety, especially not letting up big plays like 9 routes. 

Dawkins and Troy were REALLY close. Dawkins was also better in coverage I felt, and the hardest hitting & tackling safety I can remember, practically like having another linebacker. However the one thing Troy had on him I felt was more big plays in his career, with the game on the line. 

18 hours ago, Big Snack said:

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, or what. I said they were both good at everything, and pointed to what each EXCELLED at. Reed was good at everything but EXCELLED as a center fielder. Lott was good at everything but EXCELLED as an enforcer. So again, your choice comes down to which you value more.  

3 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, or what.

Agreeing in part. I had the pleasure of watching Lotts entire career and even know some of the players he played against. I was just adding that stopping at enforcer is selling his career incredibly short.

I think Ed Reed gets labeled as a "center fielder" a lot just because he was the greatest ever at doing that.  Reed was also a very willing tackler and hard hitter.  He's the best zone coverage defender in the history of the game and has the best coverage instincts ever.  Also, he excelled at making huge plays... not just the interception, but he would make plays with the ball in his hands.  In addition, Reed was a very dynamic player on special teams.  He was great at blocking kicks and was also a returner when necessary. 

Reed is quite simply the greatest safety to ever play the game.

EDIT:  Bill Belichick agrees with me :P

5 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I've never really felt like there was a discussion between Reed and or Troy and Dawkins. 

Troy was one of the all time great safeties no question and he made some amazing late game plays from what I remember whether it was a sack on a blitz, forced fumble, Interception or huge hit. 

However, I also seen Troy get burned a lot in in coverages against elite WR's. The game that comes to mind the most is the Steelers vs Cardinals Superbowl, where Kurt Warner destroyed the Steelers secondary. 

There were plenty of other games. All in all I think Troy might be the most balanced but I would take Reed 10/10 because I knew you could count on him more often then not to lock down the middle of the field which is what I think is most important for Safety, especially not letting up big plays like 9 routes. 

Dawkins and Troy were REALLY close. Dawkins was also better in coverage I felt, and the hardest hitting & tackling safety I can remember, practically like having another linebacker. However the one thing Troy had on him I felt was more big plays in his career, with the game on the line. 

One major thing that you're leaving out here is the fact that Troy also played played in multiple positions (inlcuding center field, outside corner and slot) while covering the best receivers and still dominated. he didn't get as many chances at FS as Reed did. But when he did get the chance to take on the responsibilities of a traditional FS, he still succeeded.    

Archived