2018 53-Man Roster Projections and Discussion

Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah I hear you - but that would require Elway to say it’s all about the future.   Which we know he isn’t ready to do yet.   Honestly RB is so disposable I can’t really get worked up about this.  

Williams was always a curious pick given he’s really a 2-down hammer much like Freeman.   If we were believers in Freeman to spend the 71st overall it was weird to go back to Williams.    Lindsay was obv a great UDFA find but even moreso because he fit a different profile in the run/pass game.   It was only a 6th round pick so it’s hard to get too worked up, it just was very weird reasoning (I know he was also seen as a good pass blocker but again RB is such a disposable position it’s not like great RB blockers are at a premium to find on Day 3).  

Either way I wish him well, hopefully he can carve out a role on a team.  

I can't believe they took Williams and didn't lock Lindsay up, but I suppose they probably had intel on if he would be available. 

5 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I can't believe they took Williams and didn't lock Lindsay up, but I suppose they probably had intel on if he would be available. 

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  It's not like Williams suddenly was falling - I don't have a problem with Lindsay being a UDFA, his size profile meant that was likely - but it wasn't like Williams was the lock-down, OMG-there's-no-way-he's-lasting-to-UDFA, either - which makes the choice curious given we took Freeman.  I know it seems like hindsight but all along I & others said Lindsay had the best shot to make the team over Williams (to the PS) because of that fit.   Obviously we didn't know Lindsay would be this good, but the fit screamed Lindsay over Williams from Day 1.    RB injuries have just decimated the RB pool - Corey Grant IR & Fournette are out in JAX, which is why they need bodies.   Across the league, RB's are dropping like flies - I mean, JC is getting a tryout.  JC lol.  He's so done.  While RB is entirely disposable - it's a year-to-year repleneshing that occurs.  Right now, injuries have thinned that pool, so Williams gets a short look.  I wish him well.

It's not a huge knock on Elway here, but yeah it's definitely a little luck here.  But, luck happens, and we were smart enough to offer both Holland and Lindsay the highest signing bonuses to bring them on.   So Elway gets credit for making sure that was in place.  Hopefully we get lucky with Kelly lol.   Better to be lucky than good sometimes, we'll take it.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  It's not like Williams suddenly was falling - I don't have a problem with Lindsay being a UDFA, his size profile meant that was likely - but it wasn't like Williams was the lock-down, OMG there's no way he's lasting to UDFA, either - which makes the choice curious given we took Freeman.  I know it seems like hindsight but all along I & others said Lindsay had the best shot to make the team over Williams (to the PS) because of that fit.   Obviously we didn't know Lindsay would be this good, but the fit screamed Lindsay over Williams from Day 1.

It's not a huge knock on Elway here, but yeah it's definitely a little luck here.  But, luck happens, and we were smart enough to offer both Holland and Lindsay the highest signing bonuses to bring them on.   So Elway gets credit for making sure that was in place.  Hopefully we get lucky with Kelly lol.   Better to be lucky than good sometimes, we'll take it.

Yeah I remember ALOT of people immediately penciled in Lindsay to make the roster. I said it when we signed him. People familiar with CU football knew he was a player. His improvement since CU is obvious as well, so huge credit to him. He looks way faster now

I don't really know where to put this so I'll just post it in here. 

It's clear to everyone that Vance is a major problem with this team, he's not the only problem, but he's certainly a major one. If you look at what has been said from the vocal players on the team - CHJ, Marshall, Wolfe - it's clear that the vets, the guys with rings, do not have any respect for Vance or his staff. I don't think it's personal, like they wouldn't have a beer with him, but they don't respect him as a coach or as a "leader of men." There is someone in the building, however, who they all do respect - Gary Kubiak. 

Now, with this roster and its litany of limitations, I don't think even any of the Bills (Belichick, Parcells, Walsh, take your pick) could do a whole lot. But I do wonder if replacing Vance with Kubes could give the vets, the guys with rings, a spark. Like I said, I don't see us scheming or play-calling our way out of all of our problems, but I think a change from Vance to Gary could do a lot. 

24 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It's clear to everyone that Vance is a major problem with this team, he's not the only problem, but he's certainly a major one. If you look at what has been said from the vocal players on the team - CHJ, Marshall, Wolfe - it's clear that the vets, the guys with rings, do not have any respect for Vance or his staff. I don't think it's personal, like they wouldn't have a beer with him, but they don't respect him as a coach or as a "leader of men." There is someone in the building, however, who they all do respect - Gary Kubiak. 

Now, with this roster and its litany of limitations, I don't think even any of the Bills (Belichick, Parcells, Walsh, take your pick) could do a whole lot. But I do wonder if replacing Vance with Kubes could give the vets, the guys with rings, a spark. Like I said, I don't see us scheming or play-calling our way out of all of our problems, but I think a change from Vance to Gary could do a lot. 

Yeah, I've seen this idea floated a little bit. Kubiak could definitely be the interim HC after Vance is fired in the next month if he wanted to. I think we'd all love to see that over Musgraves.

33 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

10 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yeah, I've seen this idea floated a little bit. Kubiak could definitely be the interim HC after Vance is fired in the next month if he wanted to. I think we'd all love to see that over Musgraves.

If he really retired for health reasons, though, I don't see that happening.  It would be an ideal bridge to find a L-T guy for 2019.  Someone like a Matt Lafleur-type guy.

But, then again, we're way better off if we keep losing games and picking higher for 2019, and of course, it costs $ to fire VJ this early and hire another guy...so yeah.   I think we all know VJ is done, he's a dead man walking.  It's just a matter of when the executioner comes for him.  

Kubiak stepping in as the interm HC would be amazing. Only better move would be him stepping in, starting Chad Kelly and making the next 10+ games about evaluating and developing Chad.

This team is going nowhere until we have a QB. Make the move now.

Hated Case from the jump and glad to see the rest of Bronco nation coming around.

I havent been so disinterested in a Bronco season since the Kyle Orton years. I dont live in Colorado anymore, so to watch them I have to stay home on Sundays and generally be my own cheerleader. This year I have chosen the bars and drunken socializing over them. They are still my team and I will watch when possible but this isnt a Denver team that is worth sitting alone on a Sunday for, and thats sad for me to admit.

Also, when can we start to discuss how Bradley Chubb has (perdictably) not had the splash plays one would expect out of a top 5 pick at EDGE? How he looks more like a hustle guy who get effort sacks and sets the edge rather than a game changing top 5 pick? And how Shane Ray and Shaq are ranked ahead of him per PFF (Ok, that isnt the end-all-be-all but its got to be a bit disconcerning).

38 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Kubiak stepping in as the interm HC would be amazing. Only better move would be him stepping in, starting Chad Kelly and making the next 10+ games about evaluating and developing Chad.

This team is going nowhere until we have a QB. Make the move now.

Hated Case from the jump and glad to see the rest of Bronco nation coming around.

I havent been so disinterested in a Bronco season since the Kyle Orton years. I dont live in Colorado anymore, so to watch them I have to stay home on Sundays and generally be my own cheerleader. This year I have chosen the bars and drunken socializing over them. They are still my team and I will watch when possible but this isnt a Denver team that is worth sitting alone on a Sunday for, and thats sad for me to admit.

Also, when can we start to discuss how Bradley Chubb has (perdictably) not had the splash plays one would expect out of a top 5 pick at EDGE? How he looks more like a hustle guy who get effort sacks and sets the edge rather than a game changing top 5 pick? And how Shane Ray and Shaq are ranked ahead of him per PFF (Ok, that isnt the end-all-be-all but its got to be a bit disconcerning).

I think last year and the year before were SO much worse than this year. The offensive rookies at least give us something to enjoy. But yeah, I posted earlier that this team is pretty hard to get emotionally invested in. 

I think last year and the year before were SO much worse than this year. The offensive rookies at least give us something to enjoy. But yeah, I posted earlier that this team is pretty hard to get emotionally invested in. 

Ya, maybe the Super Bowl win had my homer glasses going full tilt but IDK, just seemed like we had a fighting chance at least and there were some bright spots with Siemien. I was a big believer in him for a while, and at least that hope was enough to keep some interest. We realistically were a game managing QB away from making serious playoff noise that year after the Super Bowl, and maybe even last year too, but this year with the clear decline of the Super Bowl guys its all just hitting me that we are truly a middling, low ceiling team with no real chance at the playoffs but only a mediocre stable of young talent as well.

IDK, this team sorta feels like the equivalent of the Charlotte Bobcats right now. Just sorta there, a few glimmers of young talent but nothing truly remarkable, and a GM that doesnt seem to understand the concept of a rebuild. There are some pretty legit comparisons between Jordan as an owner and Elway as a GM (At least since the ring)

I see that the defence had a players only meeting - to discuss 'philosophical differences' between the players and the coaches - the players believe that the coaches are not putting them in a position to win. The meeting was to work out what they want to say to the coaches.

Apparently Joseph wants to hear their 'feedback' - probably because he hasn't a clue what he is doing himself.

17 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

And how Shane Ray and Shaq are ranked ahead of him per PFF (Ok, that isnt the end-all-be-all but its got to be a bit disconcerning).

Shaq has certainly outplayed him. Most of Shane Ray's snaps have come on 3rd down and normally as a DT thus performing a totally role to Chubb so it's hard to compare them.

I, for one, am definitely concerned with Chubb's play. Most knew he wasn't a speed explosion guy, but I was expecting a power explosion player of a Terrell Suggs ilk. The only time Chubb is consistently dominant from a power perspective is when he's against TE's in the run game.

He needs to show more for definite.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, he's not a guy with ANY future - but hey, he's a CSU dude.  @AnAngryAmerican should love this lol.   Seriously, though, I can't bag on the move. 

I am waiting for @Counselor to call for a Kyle Sloter trade though lol.

Wouldn’t have had to trade for him if we would have just kept him like we should have!

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Wouldn’t have had to trade for him if we would have just kept him like we should have!

Hindsight is 20-20...but yeah, no argument here.  Not that Sloter is a lock (he's not)...but free shot we can't use.  No way we could keep 4 QB's (Kelly on IR) last year.  Oh well...  Lynch 2016 Rd1 really hurt in so many ways.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Hindsight is 20-20...but yeah, no argument here.  Not that Sloter is a lock (he's not)...but free shot we can't use.  No way we could keep 4 QB's (Kelly on IR) last year.  Oh well...  Lynch 2016 Rd1 really hurt in so many ways.

It wasn’t hindsight for me. I called it back then

Archived