What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's not hunting.  That's slaughter.  No sport there at all.

I didn’t say I’d want to do it for the sport of it, it’s pest control.

The population of feral hogs continues to explode and cause about 2.5 BILLION worth of damage a year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/03/hogs-run-wild-but-usda-doubling-efforts-to-fight-problem.html

You’re not even required to have a hunting license in some circumstances.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Is there sport in sitting in a deer stand and blasting a deer with a .308?

Thats called duty, not sport. Deer population must be controlled. Just like the poison trucks that drive around spraying for mosquitoes.

• Like 1

Just now, Heimdallr said:

If you're doing like you should, yes.  You need to find a place where a deer is (usually after a few treks to the area to look for droppings, tracks, or rubbings), hike up there super early in the morning, hauling your equipment, then wait, quietly, for hours until you see one, usually from a good distance, and pull off your one shot at taking it down.

If you're baiting, like some people do, then waiting in a tree stand for a deer to come wondering where the corn and salt lick is, then yeah, that's also slaughter.

The way I see it, the animal needs a realistic chance to escape.  Flying over an open plain in a helicopter with what looks like a dang machine gun isn't that.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The population of feral hogs continues to explode and cause about 2.5 BILLION worth of damage a year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/03/hogs-run-wild-but-usda-doubling-efforts-to-fight-problem.html

Ah, then it's fine if it's for feral hogs in an area they're causing damage.

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Right?!?

Anything other than going full Kaluka Maiava and hunting them with a pack of dogs and a Bowie knife isn’t “sporting”, it’s just varying degrees of slaughter.

I don’t feel the need to view one as morally superior to the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If you're doing like you should, yes.  You need to find a place where a deer is (usually after a few treks to the area to look for droppings, tracks, or rubbings), hike up there super early in the morning, hauling your equipment, then wait, quietly, for hours until you see one, usually from a good distance, and pull off your one shot at taking it down.

If you're baiting, like some people do, then waiting in a tree stand for a deer to come wondering where the corn and salt lick is, then yeah, that's also slaughter.

The way I see it, the animal needs a realistic chance to escape.  Flying over an open plain in a helicopter with what looks like a dang machine gun isn't that.

At least the hogs will hear you coming and can run.

No less sporting than setting up hundreds of feet away and dropping them before they ever knew you were there.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yall do have some crazy big hogs. In South America youd see them and most are medium dog size people hunt. I get to Louisiana and rode out with a friend that wanted to scout for a hunting spot. Blew my mind, some came out in this field he parked at and they were pretty terrifying. The size of cows in South America. Much rather run into a gator than tick off one of those beast.

But... In return. Our spiders are 10 times the size of American ones.

• Like 1

I’m not saying this is the stance anyone is taking here, because I’ve just skimmed

But setting up in a deer stand and shooting a deer that never knew you were there is 1000x more sporting than buying beef at a super market from a cow that was raised in terrible conditions just to be slaughtered for food.

some people don’t see it that way though. Killing animal yourself = not sporting or fair. Eating a cow that never had a chance at a good life = normal

im sure this varies region to region and even more person to person but lots of people around here don’t look at hunting as sport but a way to fill the freezer. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’m not saying this is the stance anyone is taking here, because I’ve just skimmed

But setting up in a deer stand and shooting a deer that never knew you were there is 1000x more sporting than buying beef at a super market from a cow that was raised in terrible conditions just to be slaughtered for food.

some people don’t see it that way though. Killing animal yourself = not sporting or fair. Eating a cow that never had a chance at a good life = normal

im sure this varies region to region and even more person to person but lots of people around here don’t look at hunting as sport but a way to fill the freezer. 

My problem is more people doing the helicopter thing, or setting out corn all year til the season rolls around, then shooting something and mounting it in their living room like they're Rambo or something.  Not about the killing of the animal.  Wild game (other than being delicious) is a way more ethical and eco-friendly source of meat.  I'm just talking about the whole idea of taking a trophy in it at all.

If you're doing it because you're trying to control the population or because you want game meat, then I have no issue with whatever hunting method.  Just don't act like you're some big skilled hunter if you're doing that kind of stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

My problem is more people doing the helicopter thing, or setting out corn all year til the season rolls around, then shooting something and mounting it in their living room like they're Rambo or something.  Not about the killing of the animal.  Wild game (other than being delicious) is a way more ethical and eco-friendly source of meat.  I'm just talking about the whole idea of taking a trophy in it at all.

If you're doing it because you're trying to control the population or because you want game meat, then I have no issue with whatever hunting method.  Just don't act like you're some big skilled hunter if you're doing that kind of stuff.

Unless you’re hunting with a handgun, bow or knife, I couldn’t be less impressed that you killed it tbh, I’m with you there.

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unless you’re hunting with a handgun, bow or knife, I couldn’t be less impressed that you killed it tbh, I’m with you there.

its an interesting battle when ya think about it
Deer/animals have much better senses than we do and they know the territory much better than we do.
We rely on heavily our vision, so if we don't "see" them or hear them we aren't aware of their presence
But they have sensitive ears and noses that alert them to our presence from a great distance, their lives depend on it.
Can't tell you how many deer have sneaked past us over the years, sometimes really close by
The humans invented weapons to level the playing field a bit. And now our equip is so good that those tools swing the advantage in our favor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

💯 

Most hunting around here is driving around until a deer jumps in front of you, then you hang out the drivers window and blast it with an assault rifle 

not sporting or fair (or legal), almost no skill involved when all you’re doing is looking down a scope that’s accurate to 200 yards.

but damn it’s tasty 

Edited by Dome