What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

19 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

My kid is 6 and wants to play football. I loved the idea at first but now with all the stuff about CTE and concussions I'm having second thoughts about it. Any recommendations on what I should do? Should I let him play?

While there may not be data about CTE and youth sports, common sense can go a long way. 

Your brain is still developing readily when you are that young, and exposure to head trauma is never good, but even more so when you haven't fully developed.  Take from that what you will.

Also, while you can't keep them in a bubble, you can limit their exposure to unneeded risk. 

As far as a 6 year old being mature enough to have a frank discussion about it?  I've never met that 6 year old...

Personally I won't let either of my boys play until they are old enough to make a well informed decision for themselves, probably late middle school or high school, and if I'm being terribly honest I hope they have no interest in playing.  It's a fun sport and I loved playing, but it beats the hell out of your body and you can't really play it as an adult.  I'd rather they golf or something like that where they can play the rest of their lives.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as a 6 year old being mature enough to have a frank discussion about it?  I've never met that 6 year old...

I said surprising maturity. You might have a 6 year old who doesn't engage at all, but if you say "hey there's been some research done that it seems like older players who play football for a long time end up with brain damage, we don't know how this applies to kids your age, but we're concerned" or something like that the kid might have an opinion about it.

I think either way you have an obligation as a parent to let the kid know the risks.

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I said surprising maturity. You might have a 6 year old who doesn't engage at all, but if you say "hey there's been some research done that it seems like older players who play football for a long time end up with brain damage, we don't know how this applies to kids your age, but we're concerned" or something like that the kid might have an opinion about it.

I think either way you have an obligation as a parent to let the kid know the risks.

I get it, the issue is a 6 year old doesn't understand what brain damage entails nor will they truly understand it and its effects if you explain it to them.

Six is way too young for a kid to be able comprehend that info and process/apply it to themselves.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

My kid is 6 and wants to play football. I loved the idea at first but now with all the stuff about CTE and concussions I'm having second thoughts about it. Any recommendations on what I should do? Should I let him play?

Just tell him he has to be a kicker or punter. If he works on it enough he can get minutes for 4 plays a game with fairly low risk of injury.

18 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Someone refresh my FF etiquette. If I'm standing at the bus stop and the guy next to me is smoking, I'm supposed to punch him, right? 

Punt a raccoon at him is the most optimal solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get it, the issue is a 6 year old doesn't understand what brain damage entails nor will they truly understand it and its effects if you explain it to them.

Six is way too young for a kid to be able comprehend that info and process/apply it to themselves.

Maybe I'm overestimating 6 year olds. I dunno, when I was 6 I asked my parents about the birds and the bees, got the full R-rated answer, and apparently it went over fine.

(Maybe it's also me getting on my pulpit, I think sometimes parents underestimate how resilient kids are to bad information and shelter them a little bit instead of treating them like adults. But now this starts feeling like an everyone gets a trophy rant so I'm gonna stop.)

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Maybe I'm overestimating 6 year olds. I dunno, when I was 6 I asked my parents about the birds and the bees, got the full R-rated answer, and apparently it went over fine.

(Maybe it's also me getting on my pulpit, I think sometimes parents underestimate how resilient kids are to bad information and shelter them a little bit instead of treating them like adults. But now this starts feeling like an everyone gets a trophy rant so I'm gonna stop.)

Or your overestimating your abilities at 6.:D

Treating a kid like an adult is one thing, expecting them to be able to process info like an adult is another.

There's a reason there's an age of consent.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Or your overestimating your abilities at 6.:D

Treating a kid like an adult is one thing, expecting them to be able to process info like an adult is another.

There's a reason there's an age of consent.

The reason I used that story as an example is because I was actually told that later by my parents when the topic of sex-ed came up. Your point stands though, my mom could have been using me to make a point, not remembering it accurately, etc.

And yeah, I wouldn't ever say "let your kid decide entirely". More just saying you need to try and make him as aware as you can and see if he has an opinion.

• Like 1