Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

I really want to see what exactly the Raiders officially get out of this, and more importantly...what sort of contract Mack actually ends up with, before i totally judge this deal.  It's definitely at a really awkward point in the season though, and really should've been done earlier to at least soften the blow by adding some pieces for this year.

If Mack is after Aaron Donald money or greater, i can understand wanting to deal him.  He's a great player, but given the way that Raiders defense has performed poorly around him while he's having his personally great seasons...i think it's reasonable enough to at least pause and question where he's the true "cornerstorne piece" that's worth completely blowing up your salary cap structure on.  The type who, like an Aaron Donald or healthy JJ Watt who seem to elevate the play of those around them as well.

That said...it seems like the return is going to be a hard sell.  Especially if the Bears do take the huge step forward they looked poised for over the next couple years.  Those aren't going to be top shelf picks given up anymore.  They're probably going to be paying in cap locked up in a heavily guaranteed megacontract, as much as draft picks really.

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Funniest move Raiders made since bringing back Tom Walsh for the bed and breakfast offense.

I think this trade gave the Raiders logo another black eye.

You've brought so little to this conversation aside from continual digs.  It's old.  Give it up and move on.  

Just now, Totty said:

You've brought so little to this conversation aside from continual digs.  It's old.  Give it up and move on.  

I get knocking the Raiders for this move, but Papa is about the most obnoxious poster Ive seen on this site.  Not sure he is able to post anything of substance.

3 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I get knocking the Raiders for this move, but Papa is about the most obnoxious poster Ive seen on this site.  Not sure he is able to post anything of substance.

I get it. He's not that bad tho, he does add insight to some topics I've read from him. I wouldnt call him a trash poster on this site.

Just now, daineraider said:

Thats what I keep checking back for.  Not happy about the trade in general, but still curious to see what the compensation package looks like.

Let me ask you this. 

I saw someone who is a Raider fan on social media post something like this, "This sends a message to future players that the Raiders are not willing to pay a future hall-of-fame player they drafted in the first round"

That seems like a really harsh statement and the person who posted that is probably upset.  As a Raider fan, do you think this is strictly about money - as in, the Raiders did not want to pay Mack what he wants?  According to Ian Rapoport, Mack will be paid more than Aaron Donald.  He said that when he was on NFL Network today. 

Just now, showtime said:

Let me ask you this. 

I saw someone who is a Raider fan on social media post something like this, "This sends a message to future players that the Raiders are not willing to pay a future hall-of-fame player they drafted in the first round"

That seems like a really harsh statement and the person who posted that is probably upset.  As a Raider fan, do you think this is strictly about money - as in, the Raiders did not want to pay Mack what he wants?  According to Ian Rapoport, Mack will be paid more than Aaron Donald.  He said that when he was on NFL Network today. 

It has to be about money.  I dont believe the reports that the Raiders dont have the $$ to pay him though.  I think Gruden cant wrap his head around paying a defensive player QB money.  Usually I would agree, but there are a handful of players in the league that are worth paying for and Mack is one of those.

As far as sending a message goes, we have paid plenty of people lots of money(some good deals, some bad), but Donald and Mack are about to make $3-4 mil higher than any other defender in history, so Im thinking the sticker shock scared him.  My issue with that is that we draft players hoping they turn into players like Mack, at some point you have to pay those players.  I love Mack and am still pretty pissed right now, but Gruden isnt 100% wrong here.  Giving Mack $22-$23 mil along with Carrs $25 would make it extremely hard to build any other part of the roster.  My issue is no one else is a guarantee to produce like Mack(or anywhere near him).  So now we have to try to rebuild a defense without the best defensive player we have had in years and years.

It’s just poor planning as well. You should not be in the position by which you don’t have the cap space to sign your best player.

People talk about cap room and generally speaking using that cap room for free agents then point to FA not being a sensible or effective way to building a championship winning team

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

It’s just poor planning as well. You should not be in the position by which you don’t have the cap space to sign your best player.

People talk about cap room and generally speaking using that cap room for free agents then point to FA not being a sensible or effective way to building a championship winning team

If it wasn't for a salary cap there would be no parity though and teams in smaller markets would suffer.

Archived