Who to Start/Sit Thread: Help Us, Help You

JaguarCrazy2832

43 minutes ago, The LBC said:

The forecast of rain (and the current weather in the Penn State/Pitt game right now in Pittsburgh) has me feeling better about benching Burkhead for Conner in my WR/RB flex spot in one of my leagues.  (I won't be surprised if Burkhead gets a touches and score tomorrow, but Houston's defense is still pretty damn legit against the run).  And the weather doesn't sway me on trotting out Josh Gordon over Kelvin Benjamin or Marquise Goodwin in my WR/TE flex spot because when I hear coaches say "pitch count" with a WR like Gordon, that reads to me that they're going to keep the reps they do use him in the areas where he's most effective - i.e. red-zone.

The bigger question I'm dealing with is, in a 1/2-pt PPR league, whether to trot out Marshawn (who isn't on the injury report but has been limited with a groin issue this week) who should still get ample touches but is drawing a tough Rams defense on MNF or toss in a volume-likely/production-questionable candidate like Kelvin Benjamin against a Jimmy Smith-less Ravens (with Peterman throwing him the ball) or Jamison Crowder against the Cardinals (where he's pretty likely not the one who is going to get the PP treatment)?  Opinions welcome.

1st one- Conner I think is a solid choice over Burkhead. The Steelers really don't use any sort of committee. They roll with one dude. If Conner is that dude, he should be starting for you.

2nd- I don't like Benjamin at all. I'm staying away from that Bills offense until proven otherwise. Goodwin vs Gordon is an interesting debate. To me, it would depend on who else I have on my roster and who am I playing against. If you want to be aggressive, go Gordon. He could barely play and get you nothing or he could just demolish. If you want to play it safe, Goodwin because you know at least Goodwin will be on the field.

3rd- Crowder I think is a really safe play. Redskins don't have much of a running game, so I think Alex Smith will throw a lot and he'll throw short. Thompson isn't 100% so to me that means Reed and Crowder.

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

1st one- Conner I think is a solid choice over Burkhead. The Steelers really don't use any sort of committee. They roll with one dude. If Conner is that dude, he should be starting for you.

2nd- I don't like Benjamin at all. I'm staying away from that Bills offense until proven otherwise. Goodwin vs Gordon is an interesting debate. To me, it would depend on who else I have on my roster and who am I playing against. If you want to be aggressive, go Gordon. He could barely play and get you nothing or he could just demolish. If you want to play it safe, Goodwin because you know at least Goodwin will be on the field.

3rd- Crowder I think is a really safe play. Redskins don't have much of a running game, so I think Alex Smith will throw a lot and he'll throw short. Thompson isn't 100% so to me that means Reed and Crowder.

Irony is, the safer team I have right now in terms of other producers is the later one in the 1/2pt PPR league, because I've got Rodgers, DJ, Conner, Michael Thomas, Fitz, and Trey Burton playing.  So I'll probably end up taking the floor of Crowder.

The former league is standard and my dumb butt screwed up and didn't cycle Wentz to the bench, figuring to pick up a QB to start in his place tonight, but he got locked in place so I have no QB this weekend - which basically means I'm close to punting the week (since I'm playing Gurley and Rodgers plus Detroit's D against a rookie QB in his first start.  So I'm most likely going to trot out Gordon since he's more likely to stick on my roster long-term, and save Benjamin as the guy to drop for a 3-more-week fill for Carson.  And then I'll just pray to Jobu that Zeke and CMac go off against each other when they play each other, Baltimore skunks the Bills (I have their D), and the Bears and Packers turns into a shootout (I have Adams and Robinson).

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So if there is rain in Pittsburgh? Would benching Juju for Kupp be a smart move. Considering Juju is the big play guy, I’d assume throwing bombs in rain is tough

I'd tend to lean that way.  Conner and AB are the only Steelers I'm really confident in starting.  Ben I'd avoid starting if I could afford to get myself any suitable replacement that didn't require me dropping Ben (Dalton, Tyrod - he'll still yards on the ground to pad his point total, Bradford... yeah, I know, but when he's been healthy Sam's actually been a good fantasy QB it's just a matter of how likely do you think it is the Redskins injure him).  As is, Ben's Jekyll and Hyde in terms of road versus away (that changed some last season but not enough for me to buy hard on it) and they're playing away... in the rain.

Kupp and Goff have clear chemistry and I'm expecting some of Watkins' red-zone looks to go to Kupp this season, but I'm also expecting some to go to Gurley and, obviously, Cooks.  There's what?  A 2 point disparity between them in standard league projections right now?  And honestly I think Kupp's the safer bet; more likely to catch a TD and more likely to net you the catches for a reasonable floor in a PPR league if you need that to save your butt.

Archived