Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It details the hell out of everything. Sometimes that's a positive. A whole lot of the time it's useless filler that just drags. 

I mean, that's a narrative complaint with regards to style. I don't think that's a basis for claiming he is a bad writer, just more or less that you don't prefer that writing style, which is completely valid.  

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It details the hell out of everything. Sometimes that's a positive. A whole lot of the time it's useless filler that just drags. 

True, but at least you're not scratching your head asking how the hell does that even fit into the story.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

True, but at least you're not scratching your head asking how the hell does that even fit into the story.

You mean 80% of Danery's chapters in the first four books? There's probably 1000 pages that are dedicated to her that have no real effect on anything other than her character development. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, that's a narrative complaint with regards to style. I don't think that's a basis for claiming he is a bad writer, just more or less that you don't prefer that writing style, which is completely valid.  

What would then constitute good and bad writing as opposed to stylistic differences?

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

What would then constitute good and bad writing as opposed to stylistic differences?

Honestly, I was just thinking about that because I guess it's really subjective. Like for me, the style didn't bug me for any writer for the most part. I love Martin and his long winded, never ending prose and descriptions. I loved David Gemmel, and his entire stories fit rather nicely into 400-600 pages. I read a book called The vagrant, and that was written in present tense, which was super jarring, but I didn't consider him a bad writer for it. So I suppose to me, the style is their writing is largely inconsequential to whether or not they are a good or bad writer. I guess for me it's all about the creation

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

That was very clearly not in the passages that I highlighted.

Brienne being ugly as hell is mentioned at least three times every time she is involved in a scene.

It's supposed to illustrate how nobel she is on her quest. She is essentially downgraded at every obstactle simply for her looks and for most of her life which can wear on anyone. Yet she rarely mentions it, she talks about that one scene with the men at the tournament but that's it. Normally when a author does this, they do it from the POV to show that they persevere through suffering and yet Martin takes almost the opposite approach with her. Not to show that it doesn'tt bother her but that she is so fully committed to what she does that shes persevere's through belief and not humility. He does the same thing with Davos and his origins bwhich makes them both incredibly appealing characters when they started out the most boring characters to read. 

24 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

He goes into too much detail about food. Other then that his style is just different.

Look at the man, for crying out loud.  If ever someone was going to be a person to go into heavy detail on food...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

It's supposed to illustrate how nobel she is on her quest. She is essentially downgraded at every obstactle simply for her looks and for most of her life which can wear on anyone. Yet she rarely mentions it, she talks about that one scene with the men at the tournament but that's it. Normally when a author does this, they do it from the POV to show that they persevere through suffering and yet Martin takes almost the opposite approach with her. Not to show that it doesn'tt bother her but that she is so fully committed to what she does that shes persevere's through belief and not humility. He does the same thing with Davos and his origins bwhich makes them both incredibly appealing characters when they started out the most boring characters to read. 

And that's great, I can get behind it. The first ten times.

Instances 11-500 are just redundant and annoying.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You mean 80% of Danery's chapters in the first four books? There's probably 1000 pages that are dedicated to her that have no real effect on anything other than her character development. 

She was responsible for the destruction of the most powerful army in the known world through a meer screw up. And single handidly destroyed the only known source of magic in the east being the Warlocks tower, then went on to end a 5 thousand year old slave trade economy thus provoking the largest city in Essos to declare war on her all the while trying to build up her experience as a ruler.

She's done a bit in the 5 books, and I think you read too much online criticism.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kinda irritated nothing happened in that episode.

I'm not. Get all of the reunions out of the way early so that episodes 2-6 can be focused on other things.

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

That episode was like 85% fan service. I hope that's the most we get this season.

I never considered how Sam would react about finding out Dany killed his dad and brother. I'm kind of surprised he's that upset about it. 

I too thought Sam would not be mad about his father and brother being executed.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I liked when Hound said "You left me to die." And Arya fired back, "But first I robbed you."

Best line in the show other than "I'm waiting for an old friend" by Bran waiting for Jaime.

• Like 1