Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Wasn’t it already revealed in the show that the Walkers were created by the Children for the sole purpose of destroying men in the war for the dominant species on Westeros?  That obviously didn’t go to plan, since they turned on the Children, but I’m not sure how much more complicated a motive you’re expecting. 

I'm expecting one of the central characters (Dany, Jon, or Bran being the biggest 3) to have something they want, or humanity to have been in violation of some peace treaty that was made - presumably that everything north of the wall was for WW, or something like that. 

If the goal is to turn everyone into a mindless zombie, they wouldn't have negotiated with Craster. They wouldn't have been making messages out of people's bodies turning them into that whirlpool-looking symbol. And I don't know why they would have waited thousands of years to strike.

Awful writer?  Character building, plot, plot twists, foreshadowing, dialogue... his pacing is pretty terrible, but that doesn’t make him an awful writer. He’s far from it

100% agreed. The fact that he limits his scope by telling chapters from each perspective makes pacing harder too than if you have an omniscient narrator.

Awful writer?  Character building, plot, plot twists, foreshadowing, dialogue... his pacing is pretty terrible, but that doesn’t make him an awful writer. He’s far from it. 

On a page by page basis, he's an awful writer. It's borderline unreadable. 

I can compromise that he's a very good story teller and an awful writer if that's more palatable for you.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

I think they already did. He was going to desert the Night's Watch and he was stabbed to death. Therefore his Watch officially ended when he died. So he is no longer bound by that oath anymore. It's a well known fact amongst the Night's Watch that he died, yet none are calling him a deserter for that very reason.

I get that, but the show has not addressed this at all (until tonight to Arya) about the northern Lord's knowing that fact.

I guess they addressed it off screen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If the goal is to turn everyone into a mindless zombie, they wouldn't have negotiated with Craster. They wouldn't have been making messages out of people's bodies turning them into that whirlpool-looking symbol. And I don't know why they would have waited thousands of years to strike.

I thought they made the deal with Craster so that they could have a bigger army of WWs, as the NK converted all the male babies into WWs in exchange for not messing with Craster (which a good deal for Craster, since he would have killed the male babies anyway). 

Not sure what’s up with the symbols tbh. You have a good point there  

Just not sure what the NK could realistically want from Dany / Jon / Bran that he couldn’t have gotten from past Kings or the previous three-eyed Raven. 

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

On a page by page basis, he's an awful writer. It's borderline unreadable. 

I can compromise that he's a very good story teller and an awful writer if that's more palatable for you.

Not sure what you mean by this. Can you give examples?

26 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The Night King pacing has been bad throughout the series. It's even worse in the books (if he exists, we don't even know). We still have no idea what he wants or who his targets are (presuming that generic world domination is not the goal), so they're going to introduce motive and kill the guy all in pretty rapid succession. 

In the books they talk of the Great Other which is something far worse cause that thing is technically a god according to all of those who talk about him. So everyone in the books is essentially fighting to just exist.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So you don't like it cause it details the hell out of the settings and scenes in the books? That's one of the most common complaints about most authors is that they don't explain  certain scenes, or situations. That's what I love most about the books, it details the **** out of everything leaving nothing to the imagination so you're left with the intrigue's.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

So you don't like it cause it details the hell out of the settings and scenes in the books? That's one of the most common complaints about most authors is that they don't explain  certain scenes, or situations. That's what I love most about the books, it details the **** out of everything leaving nothing to the imagination so you're left with the intrigue's.

It details the hell out of everything. Sometimes that's a positive. A whole lot of the time it's useless filler that just drags. 

2 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

C’mon. That has to be some of the lamest nit picking I’ve ever read.  Hipster life, I guess. 

It's just around 6000 pages. It drags for sometimes a hundred pages at a time.

The way it breaks the momentum of stories to hear more about Dany walking around in the desert and being thirsty is maddening.