Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I thought her rejecting she was a faceless man was when she told the faceless man "A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell..."

It was, I think if Arya lives this was significant in saving the Baratheon line and poetically joining the two houses like Robert and Ned always wanted.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Jamie is actually a very capable military commander. His problem was being headstrong.

In the show, is he though?  I realize in the books he gets a bit more credited to him, but in the show in the instances where he isn't serving under his father being the main guy marshaling the troops, and even one of those times was Whispering Wood where Jamie was outmaneuvered and captured, Jamie's prowess lay in using threats/tactics to prevent the need for a long and tedious battle (Siege of Riverrun).

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

In the show, is he though?  I realize in the books he gets a bit more credited to him, but in the show in the instances where he isn't serving under his father being the main guy marshaling the troops, and even one of those times was Whispering Wood where Jamie was outmaneuvered and captured, Jamie's prowess lay in using threats/tactics to prevent the need for a long and tedious battle (Siege of Riverrun).

It's hinted on with Tywin. Tywin put all of his hopes in Jamie growing up because he was the male heir. The Whispering Wood was to show Jamie's arrogance costing him.

In the episode with Arya he explains how he corrected Jamie's dyslexia by studying with him 4 hours a day and high borns are always given the best education and in the case of the male heirs. Military education.

Edited by Calvert28

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

It was, I think if Arya lives this was significant in saving the Baratheon line and poetically joining the two houses like Robert and Ned always wanted.

The interesting bit, and I'm not sure the show has ever really addressed this, it's what Robert and Ned wanted... no one ever asked Lyanna.  Robert was in love with Lyanna.  I don't recall hearing that they were in love or that she loved him.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

The interesting bit, and I'm not sure the show has ever really addressed this, it's what Robert and Ned wanted... no one ever asked Lyanna.  Robert was in love with Lyanna.  I don't recall hearing that they were in love or that she loved him.

No of course they didn't. In the books they expanded on this, but Lyanna didn't trust him to "keep to one bed". Ned didn't want to acknowledge it, but he knew she was right.

I may have to go back and watch the 2nd episode but I think Ned briefly mentions the "iron underneath" comment.

Edited by Calvert28

Just now, Calvert28 said:

It's hinted on with Tywin. Tywin put all of his hopes in Jamie growing up because he was the male heir.

In the episode with Arya he explains how he corrected Jamie's dyslexia by studying with him 4 hours a day and high borns are always given the best education and in the case of the male heirs. Military education.

Fair enough.  That still remains, largely, theoretical education without much in the way of practical education.  No doubting he's been in plenty of battles, but I just don't recall him ever really being the guy in charge outside of losing scenarios or the aforementioned Siege of Riverrun.

Might have already been discussed, but great thread on reddit theorizing that NK is not just blindly charging into Winterfell, and is actually flanking with Viserion and will burn king's landing to the ground and add 1 million to his army. Adding on to that theory is a comment suggesting the wildfire still laying throughout king's landing will play crucial role in stopping this undead force, and that Aerys didn't actually go mad, but was instructed by three eyed raven time traveling Bran to lay wild fire throughout the city.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Fair enough.  That still remains, largely, theoretical education without much in the way of practical education.  No doubting he's been in plenty of battles, but I just don't recall him ever really being the guy in charge outside of losing scenarios or the aforementioned Siege of Riverrun.

He was successful in the Siege of Riverrun though, even though he wanted to take the Blackfish alive.

So I saw an interesting theory that Tyrion isn't actually suddenly an idiot, but actually manipulating Dany into getting her armies north and not to focus on Cersei.  Makes some sense, actually, and would explain the sudden dumbing down of Tyrion.  I like it.

Also would be Dany's third betrayal from the prophecy, potentially.

19 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Brienne has command of the Unsullied? Id thought it would be Jorah and Grey Worm on the right together with the foreign troops, with Brienne and Jaime on the left commanding the Vale/North.

I know Brienne is on the left. But could have missed if GW mentioned anything.

Yeah Brienne commands the left. Jaime and Podrick are with her as must be Yohn Royce. Grey Worm and Jorah lead the right flank as far as i understood. Did they said who commands the middle? There were 5 parts. Left flank, right flank and 3x the middle with Stark banner. I guess they haven't said who will lead that pack, but maybe i missed something. I guess it can only be a combination of Davos, Lyanna, Tormund, The Hound, Berric and Edd

Can someone please, please, please help me understand this. Spoilers below.

In season 6 the Night King sees Bran when he is traveling through time, touches him, and is able to break the protective spell of the 3-eyed raven/track Bran's every movement. He immediately goes to the tree and kills the 3-eyed raven. Instead of pursuing Bran who was being protected by Hodor, a 14-year-old girl, and 2 dogs he let him go. Considering that he can track Bran's movements and obviously knows that he has the powers of the 3-eyed raven, why didn't he pursue him? Considering how strong he that he is, he easily could've pursued Bran into the forest and finished him off then and there. 

Fast forward to last night Bran says that the Night King is coming there to kill him and erase the memories of mankind. So the Night King let him go earlier in the series but now he's such a significant character that he's going to be willing to expose himself in front of his million man army to get to Bran? Like if that was the case wouldn't he have attacked Bran earlier when he was alone in the wilderness in the middle of a snowstorm? Doesn't seem rational to go after Bran when he's being protected by the world's fiercest heroes when you let him go earlier... 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Can someone please, please, please help me understand this. Spoilers below.

He's not hell bent on destroying Bran at all costs. It's more like he'll get to him if the opportunity arises. He wants Bran but like everyone else, he's just another human.