Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm still confused as to when exactly he became the Three-Eyed Raven. Was it when the old guy was killed? Because as soon as that happens and they're rescued by Benjen, Bran still refers to him as "Uncle Benjen". He doesn't really seem transformed until they reach the wall again. Or maybe it was when he touched the tree after they escaped?

He was being trained to become the 3-eyed Raven - by the true 3-eyed Raven. Once the top guy was killed........
It's unclear what significance touching the tree had....but its really an insignificant detail as far as the overall story goes. Bran was (and now is) next in line.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

He was being trained to become the 3-eyed Raven - by the true 3-eyed Raven. Once the top guy was killed........
It's unclear what significance touching the tree had....but its really an insignificant detail as far as the overall story goes. Bran was (and now is) next in line.

Right but it's like one second he's still Bran (after they leave the cave), and then once they arrive at the wall he's all like "I became the three-eyed raven I'm not Bran anymore" and I just don't know when that exactly happened, because it feels like it would be significant.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Right but it's like one second he's still Bran (after they leave the cave), and then once they arrive at the wall he's all like "I became the three-eyed raven I'm not Bran anymore" and I just don't know when that exactly happened, because it feels like it would be significant.

He was an intern and took over when the top guy was killed - an event (or transfer) which wasn't "story line specific" far as I can tell.

33 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think it's a problem with the writers.  They've had serious issues with continuing to write characters after major changes the books don't go into.  See Tyrion, Arya, Sansa.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The Night King killed a 400,000 pound dragon with the flick of his wrist from like 5,000 yards away. What exactly was Meera going to do to protect Bran if the Night King started to pursue them? Just seems like bad storytelling in my opinion, they dumb down/weaken the Night King when they need to in order for them to fit their narrative and get the story to where it needs to go. 

They didn't dumb him down or weaken him.  For one, you, I, or anyone else have no finite proof of the intelligence level of the NK - aside from the fact that he's clearly more intelligent than his wights - so there's no reason to act like anyone but the show creators have proven facts.

You've got a passageway packed with hive-mind wights trying to claw their way through the door.  Whenever the NK has seen Bran has been in dream/astral plane where Bran has been capable of walking (there's no reason to suggest that the NK is aware that Bran can't use his legs), save for one argument that might be able to be made of the hive-mind wights have observed this (and the NK through them) while Jojen and Meera were trying to haul Bran into the 3ER's tree the first time.

Finally, the NK has, as Bran noted, made attempts on the lives of multiple previous Three-Eyed Ravens... and has clearly failed in his efforts if the power was there to be passed on to Bran.  So if he is capable of learning from his previous experiences, then it stands to reason that the NK would be wary of Bran also having available to him the same means which previous Three-Eyed Ravens had to keep him from killing them, be that Children of the Forest, powers from the 3ER that we've yet to see, the point is... WE DON'T KNOW.  Assuming, as we've come to see from other stuffs in this show, is naive and stupid to do.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Bran wasnt the 3-eyed raven at the time.

Pretty much this.  And again, this assumes that the NK has knowledge of this, Bran cannot become the new 3ER until Bloodraven is dead.  By all accounts (Isaac Hempstead-Wright let it drop in an interview that Blodraven had been in that tree looking through time for thousands of years, and while I don't think that's quite accurate...), it's been very likely at minimum 150 years probably closer to 200 years that the Three-Eyed Raven that the NK has been pursuing is Bloodraven, you'd think he'd make absolutely certain that guy was dead while letting his underlings pursue the would-be successor rather than just moving straight on to "kill the kid."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Pretty much this.  And again, this assumes that the NK has knowledge of this, Bran cannot become the new 3ER until Bloodraven is dead.  By all accounts (Isaac Hempstead-Wright let it drop in an interview that Blodraven had been in that tree looking through time for thousands of years, and while I don't think that's quite accurate...), it's been very likely at minimum 150 years probably closer to 200 years that the Three-Eyed Raven that the NK has been pursuing is Bloodraven, you'd think he'd make absolutely certain that guy was dead while letting his underlings pursue the would-be successor rather than just moving straight on to "kill the kid."

Yea it's not really accurate. Blood Raven lived like 200 years ago h/e in his case time doesn't really apply because of his seer ability. .

12 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea it's not really accurate. Blood Raven lived like 200 years ago h/e in his case time doesn't really apply because of his seer ability. .

Yeah, I feel like Isaac's statement is more a statement regarding the entity that is the 3ER in general, lending more credence to the notion that the entity occupies the vessel and the previous soul or consciousness within the vessel ceases to be in the forefront (not exactly dead, but it's kind of in a Sunken Place type environment).  Bloodraven was the (bastard) son of Aegon IV who reigned in the 170's AC and Joffrey's death is supposed to have occurred in 300 AC, so 150 years seems reasonable.

A side note, anyone else that has read the books been pondering a theory that the NK is actually the Last Hero, and that the whole thing is cyclical?

At the end of the episode, we see white walkers looking at Winterfell.  They’re clearly wearing battle gear and assuming they don’t change outfits, any theories on who these guys might’ve been?  Does their attire look familiar?

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, I feel like Isaac's statement is more a statement regarding the entity that is the 3ER in general, lending more credence to the notion that the entity occupies the vessel and the previous soul or consciousness within the vessel ceases to be in the forefront (not exactly dead, but it's kind of in a Sunken Place type environment).  Bloodraven was the (bastard) son of Aegon IV who reigned in the 170's AC and Joffrey's death is supposed to have occurred in 300 AC, so 150 years seems reasonable.

A side note, anyone else that has read the books been pondering a theory that the NK is actually the Last Hero, and that the whole thing is cyclical?

Well in the books we don't know for sure if the NK exists or not. For now all we know is the possibility of the Great Other is coming and that  is supposed to be the god of death.

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well in the books we don't know for sure if the NK exists or not. For now all we know is the possibility of the Great Other is coming and that  is supposed to be the god of death.

And I still haven't shaken a theory in that regard (it won't happen in the show, but I think it still could be something that comes to be revealed in the books) that said God of Death is the same "Many-Faced God" that the Faceless Men serve - since it's basically a deity that exists in some form or another in virtually every religion in Westeros and Essos, old or new.  Many-faces = Ability to create wights/others that all operate on a hive-mind?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

At the end of the episode, we see white walkers looking at Winterfell.  They’re clearly wearing battle gear and assuming they don’t change outfits, any theories on who these guys might’ve been?  Does their attire look familiar?

The Nazghul from LOTR finally took off their hooded robes.  Yup. Yup.  No one will ever see that crossover coming.