Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Arya never became "no one".  She said it herself. "A girl is now no one." "No. A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell. And shes going home."

Catspaw knife isnt made of dragonglass. Its Valyrian Steel with a dragonbone hilt.

I think less have an issue with Arya doing it. And more an issue that shes now Batman. They took a young 90lb teen assassin and turned her into as they say, "one of the greatest warriors in Westeros." Doing the deed on the NK amplifies what theyve created for her that people dont like more than it being her that fulfilled some prophecy.

Personally. I think it would have came off better had they hyped her assassin ability instead of worrying about her fighting ability. Had her cross a couple more names off her list instead of things that made no sense like the dual with Brienne. Also would have helped the library scene. Cause way she was fighting on the wall, it made no sense for her to hide in the library. She could have taken them out quick.

17 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I think less have an issue with Arya doing it. And more an issue that shes now Batman. They took a young 90lb teen assassin and turned her into as they say, "one of the greatest warriors in Westeros." Doing the deed on the NK amplifies what theyve created for her that people dont like more than it being her that fulfilled some prophecy.

Personally. I think it would have came off better had they hyped her assassin ability instead of worrying about her fighting ability. Had her cross a couple more names off her list instead of things that made no sense like the dual with Brienne. Also would have helped the library scene. Cause way she was fighting on the wall, it made no sense for her to hide in the library. She could have taken them out quick.

Agreed.  There was nothing of her training in Braavos or anywhere else in the show or the books that showed us that the faceless men were super soldiers.  They're assassins.  Having her be a match for Brienne in a straight up fight was dumb IMO.  She was already super hyped as an assassin in literally the first scene in season 7 when she wiped out the entirety of House Frey by herself.

Arya was one of my favorite characters from the beginning of the show, but much like Tyrion, they've changed her in unlikable ways.  I think the writers misunderstood what made her such a popular character.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

And it's impossible for things to happen to explain Arya's role in three remaining episodes? 

First, if you think prophecies in Martin's works are to be taken literally, you haven't been paying attention and you don't know what you're talking about.  Literally the entire series has shown that prophecies are murky at best.  Arya not being Azhor Ahai to kill the Night King, etc?  In a world where prophecies have countless times over been shown to not be literal, you don't think Jon or Dany gathering everybody to fight the Night King is indirectly killing him? 

Also, acting like it's stupid for Arya to be the one to kill the Night King is neglecting the entire damn series. 

This article perfectly summarizes how it's been foreshadowed to be Arya since the beginning, and in a lot of cases straight from the source material:

https://screenrant.com/game-thrones-arya-kill-night-king-clues/

Since some people are too stubborn and busy pouting, I'll summarize it:

1. Stick them with the pointy end.
2. Bran failing at archery, Arya sneaks up behind everyone and hits a bullseye.  Seven seasons later, Arya sneaks up and kills NK.
3. Bran giving Arya gives Catspaw dagger to Arya.  A weapon made of dragonglass to kill a being created by being killed by dragonglass.
4. Bran has said that "No one" can kill the NK.  Who kills him but no one? 
5. Arya performs the dagger drop move in season 7. 
6. Melisandre said Arya would kill brown, green, blue eyes all the way back in season... 3? 
7. The Hound teaching Arya to look for weak spots in armor (season 4)

Arya being the one to kill the Night King has been hinted at since season one, but you're too busy complaining about it since you didn't see it coming and you thought it would be Azhor Ahai, while it well could have been in an indirect way. 

I'm not even referring to you.  I'm referring to other people who act like the series is tarnished because the big threat was ended too early. 

You don't know what you're talking about and alot of those people "whining" are because of these dumb references to early seasons when they didn't mean anything. Most of what you just put up occured 5 to 7 years ago when D&D already stated they wanted it to be Arya like 3 years ago. You are nitpicking very casual moments in the show that didn't have anything to do with the scene last week. Quit with you're own "b!tching" and learn why people are actually upset. Russo's cut out Jon and Dany or at least Jon entirely because it "didn't feel right" to them for him to kill the NK. If their only goal was to subvert expectations then they missed the point to ASOIAF much like you have. If you have even read the books.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You don't know what you're talking about and alot of those people "whining" are because of these dumb references to early seasons when they didn't mean anything.

So says you that they didnt mean anything.

24 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Most of what you just put up occured 5 to 7 years ago when D&D already stated they wanted it to be Arya like 3 years ago.

No clue what this means. If D+D stated three yeares ago they wanted it to be Arya - whats the problem? It turned out to be Arya.

25 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Russo's cut out Jon and Dany or at least Jon entirely because it "didn't feel right" to them for him to kill the NK. If their only goal was to subvert expectations then they missed the point to ASOIAF much like you have.

Again. So says you.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

There was nothing of her training in Braavos or anywhere else in the show or the books that showed us that the faceless men were super soldiers.  They're assassins.

Huh? It turns out Arya's entire life was one of phased in fighting. From start to finish. Now - was it laid out on the viewer's plate like a nice meal that this was all intended for some grand design and purpose? No. Thankfully.  Arya's time with the Faceless Men included a good deal of fighting with that other girl. Honing and practicing fighting techniques she used in the week 3 show. It didnt require some "Super Soldier" to stick dragon glass or Valyrian steel into the NK.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

So says you that they didnt mean anything.

And confirmed by the show's producers. 3 years means 3 years. Not 7, not 5. Not any other number then 3.

No clue what this means. If D+D stated three yeares ago they wanted it to be Arya - whats the problem? It turned out to be Arya.

The references are the problem. They act as if these were deliberatly left by D&D as clues that it's Arya which it turns out they are not and yet they keep harping on it.

Again. So says you.

Are you arguing just to argue? Please give me references on where Martin says the only point to ASOIAF was to give the least expected outcome for every scenario in the story?

It didnt require some "Super Soldier" to stick dragon glass or Valyrian steel into the NK.

And this is my biggest problem with the entire thing. Just anyone could do it. So if they did rein down arrows like one poster suggested, that could have finished off the NK. So the greatest threat in the history of Westeros can be felled by such a thing.

Not gonna discuss the show further with people who act like the whole thing is tainted.  They didn't like the episode, fine.  I'm not gonna let that ruin what I enjoyed. 

Anyway, one theory I liked is that the three-eyed raven is the real threat and that he just had to get the Night King out of the way.  Lots of times throughout the series, Martin has subverted expectations for characters, plots and plans.  He even named a direwolf after this same plot device.  I'm looking forward to the final three episodes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Not gonna discuss the show further with people who act like the whole thing is tainted.  They didn't like the episode, fine.  I'm not gonna let that ruin what I enjoyed. 

Anyway, one theory I liked is that the three-eyed raven is the real threat and that he just had to get the Night King out of the way.  Lots of times throughout the series, Martin has subverted expectations for characters, plots and plans.  He even named a direwolf after this same plot device.  I'm looking forward to the final three episodes. 

Agree.

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

And confirmed by the show's producers. 3 years means 3 years. Not 7, not 5. Not any other number then 3. The references are the problem. They act as if these were deliberatly left by D&D as clues that it's Arya which it turns out they are not and yet they keep harping on it. Are you arguing just to argue? Please give me references on where Martin says the only point to ASOIAF was to give the least expected outcome for every scenario in the story? And this is my biggest problem with the entire thing. Just anyone could do it. So if they did rein down arrows like one poster suggested, that could have finished off the NK. So the greatest threat in the history of Westeros can be felled by such a thing.

I didnt read the books and have no intention (or the time) to do so and as far as viewing the HBO version - I'm glad I hadnt. My minds not cluttered with past prophesies or alike that I've been waiting on the HBO version to live up to. The transfer from book(s) to the screen is hardly ever exact and I'm not measuring the story as told on TV by some personal measuring stick of realism, logic or adherence to any book. It wasnt necessary there be some grand military stunt or happening to kill the NK. It was easy. The problem as portrayed was that knowledge of how he could be killed (by dragon glass) took awhile to get widely known - and then getting close to him. Thats it.....and it finally happened. Sorry you're personally disappointed how it's being portrayed. 

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

a facebook group is leaking scenes/pics from tonight's episode and they claim to have next weeks episode too

so be careful on the net.. spoilers are floating

I like knowing there are spoilers to be seen without knowing what the spoilers are.  Means something significant happens tonight.  

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Agree.

I didnt read the books and have no intention (or the time) to do so and as far as viewing the HBO version - I'm glad I hadnt. My minds not cluttered with past prophesies or alike that I've been waiting on the HBO version to live up to. The transfer from book(s) to the screen is hardly ever exact and I'm not measuring the story as told on TV by some personal measuring stick of realism, logic or adherence to any book. It wasnt necessary there be some grand military stunt or happening to kill the NK. It was easy. The problem as portrayed was that knowledge of how he could be killed (by dragon glass) took awhile to get widely known - and then getting close to him. Thats it.....and it finally happened. Sorry you're personally disappointed how it's being portrayed. 

Except those two things just happened last episode?

50 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I'm curious about whether they reach King's landing in this episode. It's a longer one so I'm not sure how they fill it otherwise.

They could take Littlefinger's teleporting carriage from the early seasons to cut down on time.

50 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I'm curious about whether they reach King's landing in this episode. It's a longer one so I'm not sure how they fill it otherwise.

I'm sure this entire episode will be dedicated to the infighting from the Northeners and Jon deciding whether or not to tell everyone he's Aegon.

They are gonna be complaining and marching all the way south only to find out all of King's Landing was poisened, Qyburn dead, the Mountain even deader then dead, Kings Guard, everyone, they are gonna see Cersei sitting on the Iron Throne when they come in and her pull her face off to reveal its been Arya and she was waiting for all of them to get there. Oh and Bran is sitting in a chair next to her.