Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

27 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

No we're not. Don't call this Sitcom writing GOT.

The writing style has been different since season 5, it's GOT and has been for 4 seasons mate. 

9 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

The writing style has been different since season 5, it's GOT and has been for 4 seasons mate. 

Yea I disagree with that. The writing while not on par with Martin's was still pretty decent as far as HBO is concerned. But the writing now is sitcom level with characters making decisions or not that would be out of character just a season ago. Alot of this has been very very watered down this season.

D+D did a phenomenal job of doing what they signed up to do - make a TV show out of existing literature. Once they got beyond the books though, they had no idea what they were doing. They are not writers, period.

they should have handed the show off to someone else after season 4. At this point it is so obvious that they not only not they right people to make this show, they actively don’t care and just want it to end. Really disappointing end to a great series.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

D+D did a phenomenal job of doing what they signed up to do - make a TV show out of existing literature. Once they got beyond the books though, they had no idea what they were doing. They are not writers, period.

they should have handed the show off to someone else after season 4. At this point it is so obvious that they not only not they right people to make this show, they actively don’t care and just want it to end. Really disappointing end to a great series.

Agree with everything here. Season 5 was actually pretty good but that still followed the book around 40-50% still I think, mostly DoD. 

I don’t blame them for S6 and S7 too much, but how can they look at the quality of those two seasons and be comfortable being the ones writing S8? If George wanted nothing to do with it, they should of brought in every creative person who has ever worked on the show and maybe even some new people, and just huddled together. 

S8 will probably go down as the second worst behind S7 and that’s just because of the ending/battles/etc factor, otherwise it could be last. 

My season rankings:

S1 (loved S1, most would probably put it third or fourth though)

S4

S3

S5

S2

And then it goes into the next tier, a noticeable drop off due to no more book material and them not being good writers:

S6 (EP5, 9, 10 were 3 of the best of the whole series but the other seven were TRASH. So it’s a hard season to rate....)

S8

S7

Edited by BayRaider

BOTB was the beginning of the downfall for me. Like Ive mentioned, that horn blowing for the Vales last second save arrival and the stupidity that followed marked it.

At the time it happened. 6-10 was exciting. But it wiped out all the goodness on 1 side so it could be come a standard Hollywood villain group. Matched with turning the white cloaks to black armor to really hammer home the Hollywoodness that these are all villains now. But yes. At the time it happened. I was glued to my seat for that explosion buildup and that Tommen fall.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

I swear I heard the same thing when Breaking Bad was ending "they had more seasons" lol the reason they make the show is it's profitable.

They're ending the show because all things must end, they had one they were working towards since season 6. 

I don't think you realize how much that would change the show, new showrunners means a lot of changes to GOT. Entirely new writers, directors, filming crews etc. Also that's just speculation.

It's different when they were given the green light to have additional time, they turned it down, and now the final season ends up being ridiculously rushed. I'm one of the biggest stans for the show, and it's a mess right now. 

It's clear they just wanted to be done with it and move on, and this last episode is the prime example. How else do you explain things like Dany just "forgetting" about the fleet that destroyed her once, Jon's sudden lack of a relationship with Ghost (which is completely different in the books), and Gendry literally forgetting his last name? They phoned it in and the fans are paying for it. 

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

It's different when they were given the green light to have additional time, they turned it down, and now the final season ends up being ridiculously rushed. I'm one of the biggest stans for the show, and it's a mess right now. 

It's clear they just wanted to be done with it and move on, and this last episode is the prime example. How else do you explain things like Dany just "forgetting" about the fleet that destroyed her once, Jon's sudden lack of a relationship with Ghost (which is completely different in the books), and Gendry literally forgetting his last name? They phoned it in and the fans are paying for it. 

I don't think Gendry forgot his last name. I think he was a commoner and had no clue what his last name was supposed to be.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Season 6 had The Door, Battle of the Bastards, and The Winds of Winter.  It at least touched greatness.  Nothing in season 8's first 4 episodes has touched any one of those episodes.

The Long Night was utterly spectacular. The first episode was good too. S8E2 even had some redeeming moments. But S8E4 was bad by series standards. It was still watchable, enjoyable TV with some surprises. I think people just hate that these people with literally zero war training aren't some great strategists... they weren't ever going to be.

17 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I don't think Gendry forgot his last name. I think he was a commoner and had no clue what his last name was supposed to be.

Then why even have him say it at all? If they are going to write in him saying his last name, why not get it right? Although characters just forgetting things seemed to be a common occurrence.

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Then why even have him say it at all? If they are going to write in him saying his last name, why not get it right? Although characters just forgetting things seemed to be a common occurrence.

I think he wouldn't realize he was a Waters and not a Rivers because he's a commoner. It's to show how much of a commoner he is to those that read the books.

Free folk got a leak for S7 scripts back three years ago and they were calling him Gendry Rivers internally back then. 

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I think he wouldn't realize he was a Waters and not a Rivers because he's a commoner. It's to show how much of a commoner he is to those that read the books.

I think that's giving them too much credit, but I guess we'll never know. 

33 minutes ago, scar988 said:

The Long Night was utterly spectacular. The first episode was good too. S8E2 even had some redeeming moments. But S8E4 was bad by series standards. It was still watchable, enjoyable TV with some surprises. I think people just hate that these people with literally zero war training aren't some great strategists... they weren't ever going to be.

Jon grew up being trained martially along with Robb by one of the most competent people in the seven kingdoms and a host of delegates that Ned Stark knew to surround himself with.  He then proceeded to join the Nights Watch where he was personally groomed under the Lord Commander before taking over that position himself and is at this point a veteran of several battles.  While completely ingnored in the show (but he was there) Bronze Yohn Royce was essentially the Ned Stark of the Vale, Grey Worm has been fighting literally his entire life, Jorah Mormont fought not only in both Westeros and Essos and was a well seasoned knight.  To say they had no people who could strategize is just wrong.

Honestly, Episode 2 has probably been my favorite episode of this season.  They did a good job balancing the building tension along with good character moments.  The Long Night was a good episode but I certainly wouldn't call it spectacular.  The direction and editing were piss poor.  I didn't mind the lighting, I got that part.