Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Ok ok Ill concede on a couple points.

There arnt as many archers as I assumed. And I thought the 2nd line was armored like the first. But they just have on leather breast shielding.

cTR6Z39.jpg

But, In return. Yall are severely underestimating the ability of armor on troops. Sure it slows you down a bit. But swords lose all chopping ability, its why as time went along here in the real world. Swords were replaced with picks, axes and hammers.

If you're talking read world stuff, cavalry against spears is a loss almost every time (assuming the flanks and rear are defended). If you can't out manoeuvre a line of spears, you're going to have a bad time. That said, this is fantasy so whatever goes. Dothraki might have managed on sheer numbers alone.  

Just now, sunnygsm said:

If you're talking read world stuff, cavalry against spears is a loss almost every time (assuming the flanks and rear are defended). If you can't out manoeuvre a line of spears, you're going to have a bad time. That said, this is fantasy so whatever goes. Dothraki might have managed on sheer numbers alone.  

With equal or close numbers certainly.  But the Dothraki thrive on disrupting sound military tactics on numbers and fear tactics alone.  Gotta remember these people find death in battle honorable and glorious and they fear dying in bed more than dying on the field. 

13 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Napolean figured how to stop a Calvary attack by performing a triangle formation with his troops... I'm a huge war fan.. 

11 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

The infantry square also had.. what's it called.. gunpowder ^_^

Well of course.. But something about the triangle would force the horses to around it rather thru it.

That was the whole point of standing there lol instead of getting mowed down. 

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Well of course.. But something about the triangle would force the horses to around it rather thru it.

Like when the Persians attacked Alexander's army with chariots.  All they did was make a lane  and put spears up everywhere else and the horse went to the open area leaving the Greeks now behind the chariot free to spear the guys in the chariot.

4 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I imagine Westorosi armies have little-to-no experience dealing with exclusively mounted foes, which of course the Dothraki are.

The Lannisters/Tarlys really got murked. The Dothraki seemed like they were on another plane of fighting ability.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Nah, shes about to give the iron bank a buttload of money. And she still has the greatest armada. She is likely to hire an all-mer army. But her position was severely weakened with the loss of the Tarly/Lanister army.

You mean the money that got burnt to a crisp by dragons?

52 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

But, In return. Yall are severely underestimating the ability of armor on troops. Sure it slows you down a bit. But swords lose all chopping ability, its why as time went along here in the real world. Swords were replaced with picks, axes and hammers.

In terms of being fatal? Probably. But if you ever visit reddit there was a video of 2 historians that practiced mid age fighting tactics. One guy in full armor, the other in day to day clothes. Guy in full armor lunges, other guy evades and whacks him on the helmet with his sword. No blood, no cut, nothing. Why do I bring this up? He gave the armor guy a concussion. They had to stop because the dude in full armor had no focus and was sick to his stomach. You can still injure someone in full armor without piercing the skin.

Again, I think we all realize there are advantages to armor. I think you are just overstating it a bit in this scenario.

13 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I'm a little confused. Are we to assume absolutely no gold was left in the caravans that were there with Jamie?

If you trust the word of Lord Tarly, "The gold has made it safely to King's Landing." This was uttered just before the Dothraki showed up, one or two lines before suggesting they flog stragglers.

Edited by cddolphin