GDT Week 1 - Steelers visit the Browns

Bucketheadsdad

4 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Adolphus Washington DT from the Bills was released for Nate Orchard I’d take a shot at him honestly. 

I'm okay with seeing what Ifeadi Odenigbo, Carl Davis, Devaroe and Zettel are capable of first, since, you know...they have their own versions of promising track records and potential. Frankly, at this point, we don't have room for Adolphus. I'm saying this as a die hard Buckeye fan/alum, too. I like Washington, but not over these guys at the present moment.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Carr looks good.

Oh what could have been.... :|

@OldTakesExposed

14 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Haha, exactly how I feel. That was the biggest BS call ever. The refs always, and I mean always, pander to the Steelers. A Steeler could pull out a gun and shoot the opposing QB in the face, and they'd be like, meh I don't think there is a rule prohibiting that. I cannot stand that team and the fact the refs turn a blind eye on all their bs while punishing the other team makes it all the worse.

50 minutes ago, shoffma1999 said:

Haha, exactly how I feel. That was the biggest BS call ever. The refs always, and I mean always, pander to the Steelers. A Steeler could pull out a gun and shoot the opposing QB in the face, and they'd be like, meh I don't think there is a rule prohibiting that. I cannot stand that team and the fact the refs turn a blind eye on all their bs while punishing the other team makes it all the worse.

Eh, this is pretty much BS.

Watt’s penalty at the start of the game was just as tricky tacky and we’re lucky both the Peppers fumble and the punt that may have hit off Chubb’s head were called as they were or that’s two more turnovers on calls that could have gone the other way.

The game was horrifically called, no debate there, but it didn’t really favor the Steelers imo.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Watt’s penalty at the start of the game was just as tricky tacky and we’re lucky both the Peppers fumble and the punt that may have hit off Chubb’s head were called as they were or that’s two more turnovers on calls that could have gone the other way.

The game was horrifically called, no debate there, but it didn’t really favor the Steelers imo.

Certainly a more evenly called game than in recent years. There was a time that if they had an important drive that failed on 3rd down there would be a defensive holding penalty away from the ball come out late. There were questionable calls but it didn't seem like we had to play against the refs or that the bad calls were intentional, even though some were still at suspect times it didnb't happen often enough to feel like the refs were intentionally favoring a team. They do normally favor the better teams.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Except in this case, where a 3rd down stop would have made them kick a FG instead of giving them a new set of downs to run the ball in for a TD on the next play.

So it's like it really did favor the Steelers, because they would have lost if not for the refs blowing this call. 

10 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Except in this case, where a 3rd down stop would have made them kick a FG instead of giving them a new set of downs to run the ball in for a TD on the next play.

So it's like it really did favor the Steelers, because they would have lost if not for the refs blowing this call. 

And if they’d have called the Peppers fumble or punt snafu differently we’re perhaps getting blown out.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Peppers fumble? The refs called that correctly. That was hard at all, just as long as you know the rule that if a player is out of bounds, he becomes an extension of out of bounds. I remember it was about 3 years ago, we had a packers return man on a kick off see a ball heads out of bounds but it stopped like a foot by the sideline. The player stepped out of bounds, established himself and fell onto the ball. Refs ruled it as a kick out of bounds. It took the ball from the 14yard to the 40 I believe

19 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Peppers fumble? The refs called that correctly. That was hard at all, just as long as you know the rule that if a player is out of bounds, he becomes an extension of out of bounds. I remember it was about 3 years ago, we had a packers return man on a kick off see a ball heads out of bounds but it stopped like a foot by the sideline. The player stepped out of bounds, established himself and fell onto the ball. Refs ruled it as a kick out of bounds. It took the ball from the 14yard to the 40 I believe

My point being it was a bang bang judgmental call that went our way.  Had it been called the other way there’s not enough evidence to overturn.

The “the refs are out to get us” song and dance is tired and inaccurate.

We lose games all on our own.

There were a few times we were fortunate with calls and a few times we weren't. But we didn't win because of our incompetence. 

A burns had a pi on Gordon if the ball was thrown to him instead of Landry. The watt hit on Taylor was marginal, without that we likely to punt from our own goalline instead of scoring. 

Chubb touched the ball on the punt. Almost 100% sure. 

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

You are right about the call being highly (suspiciously?) favorable to PIT at a pivotal point.

It doesn't follow though that they would have lost unless you assume that the game would have played out exactly or substantially as it did.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My point being it was a bang bang judgmental call that went our way.  Had it been called the other way there’s not enough evidence to overturn.

the peppers play, there was plenty of evidence. the punt play, there was no evidence to over turn a call if it was called one way or another. for once the Browns had something go there way

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The All 22 was a huge indictment on Taylor’s performance Sunday. Constant missing of open targets right in the middle of the field and a refusal to throw the ball.

I'm hopeful that the weather just made him even. Ore conservative than usual. Maybe we'll see him throw it around a bit more this week.

Archived