Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
N4L

Earl Thomas to report today - Dallas ups offer to a second round pick

Recommended Posts

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by N4L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Thomas is in the last year of his contract, what would the reasons be to not trade him for a 2nd round pick?  I mean, I get wanting to be a contender this year.  However, he's almost certainly not re-signing, they aren't going to tag him (I'd think?), and he's dealt with injuries the last two years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seahawks are smart to turn down the 2nd round pick.  I mean they'll probably just use it on a RB, so it's better to just keep Earl...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

If Thomas is in the last year of his contract, what would the reasons be to not trade him for a 2nd round pick?  I mean, I get wanting to be a contender this year.  However, he's almost certainly not re-signing, they aren't going to tag him (I'd think?), and he's dealt with injuries the last two years.  

I think they'll tag him and at least try to trade him... Don't see them just letting him walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

I think they'll tag him and at least try to trade him... Don't see them just letting him walk.

Nah, they will let him walk. 

This is good news. Earl with a chip on his shoulder is best Earl. And this chip is going to be huge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Nah, they will let him walk. 

This is good news. Earl with a chip on his shoulder is best Earl. And this chip is going to be huge. 

Letting him walk + sucking this year > getting a 2nd rounder for him + still sucking this year?

I'm not sure I follow the logic here on Seattle's end. When he walks, they don't get a comp. pick do they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Letting him walk + sucking this year > getting a 2nd rounder for him + still sucking this year?

I'm not sure I follow the logic here on Seattle's end. When he walks, they don't get a comp. pick do they?

Seattle doesnt think they will suck, and why would you when you have a top 5 QB. Having Earl makes them better.

Plus tagging and trading isn't really a feasible strat, especially with the safety market as it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Seattle doesnt think they will suck, and why would you when you have a top 5 QB. Having Earl makes them better.

Plus tagging and trading isn't really a feasible strat, especially with the safety market as it is. 

Okay but they know they're not really contenders this year - or have to know they're rebuilding. Everything they've done indicates that they're in a rebuilding year/phase. Having Earl makes you (maybe) better THIS YEAR and then what? You get nothing when he walks (unless he gets a comp. pick, which again I'm unsure of but I don't think he's an RFA next year). Whereas trading him for a 2nd at least allows you to recoup some of that loss and use it as capital for your rebuild.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Seahawks are smart to turn down the 2nd round pick.  I mean they'll probably just use it on a RB, so it's better to just keep Earl...

Their already missing a 2nd following the Duane Brown trade - this could have offset that trade, really surprised they didn't go for it.

A little disappointed too, I kinda want Seattle to not do well (purely selfish reasons, of course). Earl Thomas is good enough to help them win games.

Drats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a top 5 QB, you are a potential contender. Maybe you dont think so, but Im sure Seattle feels like they still are. Earl makes them better. Simple as a that.

After this year, they will probably offer a moderate contract out of respect, and Earl will take something bigger [barring injuries and what not]. Comp pick maybe? Also, PCJS doesnt use the the franchise tag. Its been a LONG time (2010, for Olindo Mare).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, animaltested said:

With a top 5 QB, you are a potential contender. Maybe you dont think so, but Im sure Seattle feels like they still are. Earl makes them better. Simple as a that.

After this year, they will probably offer a moderate contract out of respect, and Earl will take something bigger [barring injuries and what not]. Comp pick maybe? Also, PCJS doesnt use the the franchise tag. Its been a LONG time (2010, for Olindo Mare).

He's a 2019 UFA, which IIRC means that he's free to sign anywhere and Seattle doesn't get anything if he walks. So, again, let's go through the scenarios:

1) Seattle plays with Earl Thomas this year, a rebuilding year, and likely misses the playoffs. Congrats! You got another season of Earl Thomas for nothing to show for it. He walks in 2019 ("the disrespect has been noted and won't be forgotten") as a UFA and you get nothing in return.

2) Same situation as above, but Seattle makes the playoffs and loses in whatever round. Earl walks. You get nothing, but now you're picking lower than in the above scenario so ultimately what did you gain?

2) Seattle takes the 2nd round pick from Dallas, or another team. Plays this year without Earl Thomas, still misses the playoffs and maybe their defense is a little worse. Oh well, it's a rebuilding year anyways. You now have a 2nd round pick to use next year in return to help you rebuild.

I mean, am I just really missing something obvious here? If PCJS believe they're real contenders this year, they're insane. Have you seen that DL lately? Have you seen their CB's and WR situation? It's a mess. ET isn't fixing that.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He's a 2019 UFA, which IIRC means that he's free to sign anywhere and Seattle doesn't get anything if he walks.

Well, they'd get a comp pick provided they don't offset it with another signing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, they'd get a comp pick provided they don't offset it with another signing

Ah, yes, you're right. I was confusing RFA with UFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earl Thomas is a good player. Seattle obviously feel a 2nd rounder isn't enough OR believe someone will offer more. Why not hold on as long as possible to see if you can get the best compensation possible for him? As it gets closer to the trade deadline more teams might fancy Earl Thomas on their team, especially if the D is struggling.

And if you don't get a trade, you get a top safety helping your defense for another season.

Seattle feels it can get more, and if they don't get it they keep him around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really stupid from what I'm seeing.  So first the Seahawks want a 2nd round pick for him.  Dallas isn't willing to part with a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft.  Entire off-season passes and Dallas has a change of heart and suddenly the Seahawks want more than a 2nd.  What changed?  I think it's ridiculous for Seattle to turn this down considering they won't be a contender this year and are probably the 3rd best team in their division at best 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×