NFL Kickoff GDT: Falcons @ Eagles

TheVillain112

Who wins?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins tonight?

• Eagles
    • Falcons

10 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Lol Uh are you serious? If credit can't be given for what Philly pulled off then idk what it can be given for. How some ppl can be so blind to massively critical injuries is hysterical to me. 

If you want credit for beating a mediocre team, fine, enjoy it I guess? 

20 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Uh, who’s considering Atlanta a Super Bowl contender? Both teams looked like doo doo. That’s why no ones giving you credit. Eagles were the less crappy team on Thursday, not going to get praise for that lol

Most people were before the game.

14 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd say he was made to look exponentially worse by his OC's play calling. Uninspired, Madden-like play calling with no rhyme nor reason. The 4th down call proves that. It's just selecting plays from a sheet that COULD work, not linking play calls/scheme. Eagles done very well to keep those bad calls out, of course. 

I can't stress and underline your great point that I bolded above.  Sark is just not an NFL OC and that's just an end of it.  The Eagles, through the late season last year and the playoffs, have shown tendencies on defense that can and have been exploited by better play callers recently but Sark just seems clueless to the fact (which is amazing considering he's had an entire 8 months to prepare for this game). 

Watch a guy called "Brett Kollmann" on Youtube and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. 

In several games down the stretch last regular season the Giants, Seahawks, and Rams all showed exactly how to take advantage of the aggressiveness of Philly's secondary, with the key being to have an entire-game strategy rather than just calling plays with no overall strategy (as you astutely pointed out).  In the Seahawks and Giants games you could see both teams setting up the Eagles defense with early slants that set up the Eagles defensive backs like Darby to aggressively attack the football in search for an easy pick-6 before hitting them with double-moves and rub-concepts later in the game (Go to timestamp 04:21 in the above video to see what I am talking about).  

But in both the playoff game last season and in Thursday's season opener I didn't see any inclination that Sark had even studied the Eagle defense's tendencies or game film in the play calls he made.  It really looked as though he was simply flying by the seat of his pants and randomly calling plays he likes off of his play sheet, with no overall strategy or adjustments being made whatsoever. 

I had high hopes that we would see a more studious and well thought-out series of game planning out of Sark in his second year as OC in the NFL this season, but its just more of the same lack of strategy and planning as we saw last year which is utterly inexcusable to me (and I know that its still just the first game of the season, but stuff like game planning should be good to go right off the jump considering how long coaches have to prepare for the specific team they will be playing to start the year).

Don't get me wrong, this loss wasn't entirely on Sark (Matt Ryan was flat out bad in this game for example), but this is not the kind of offensive game planning that we can afford from this guy, regardless of how bad or great Ryan plays as the season progresses.  You do also have to give a ton of credit to that Eagles defense, whose backs were against their own goalline seemingly all game long yet never panicked and always remained composed and confident, despite the fact that Atlanta was moving the ball at will on multiple drives in the game.

As I said above, I am trying not to overreact to this one game (as everybody always does, both positively and negatively, after the first game of the season) and I think Atlanta pretty much controlled the entire game on both offense and defense.  They moved it down the field pretty easily right off the jump and had consecutive drives that got them to first-and-goal situations in the 1st, the defense did a great job of essentially shutting Foles down for like 95% of the game (they limited him to 117 total passing yards after all), and even despite their total inability to score TD's on multiple opportunities they were a couple of inches away from pulling off the win at the end.  I still see the Falcons as the best team in the NFC South and expect a much better performance at home next week against the Panthers, but losing that first one to the defending champs the way they lost it definitely makes things harder than they needed to be.  

7 hours ago, megatechpc said:

You do also have to give a ton of credit to that Eagles defense, whose backs were against their own goalline seemingly all game long yet never panicked and always remained composed and confident, despite the fact that Atlanta was moving the ball at will on multiple drives in the game.

Jim Schwartz's Defenses tend to be a Bend don't Break type Defense for whatever the reason?? Why he/they allow teams to go the length of the field only to tighten up in the RZ is beyond me? It's been that way since he became our DC.

It's why I don't care about "yards given up" (other thread) and only care about "Points given up" as a Defense. The Eagles are only giving up a little over 14.7 Pts a gm on average over the last 19 Home games (280). Even less then that over the last 10 home games given up only 12Pts aper gm. (120)

So holding Atlanta to around that same average despite their flaws in the RZ is no coincidence! There is nothing friendly for opposing teams post Chip Kelly at the Linc! It's what they do!

19 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Jim Schwartz's Defenses tend to be a Bend don't Break type Defense for whatever the reason?? Why he/they allow teams to go the length of the field only to tighten up in the RZ is beyond me? It's been that way since he became our DC.

It's why I don't care about "yards given up" (other thread) and only care about "Points given up" as a Defense. The Eagles are only giving up a little over 14.7 Pts a gm on average over the last 19 Home games (280). Even less then that over the last 10 home games given up only 12Pts aper gm. (120)

So holding Atlanta to around that same average despite their flaws in the RZ is no coincidence! There is nothing friendly for opposing teams post Chip Kelly at the Linc! It's what they do!

I agree with you but it must still be pointed out that the Falcons have historically struggled in Philadelphia for as long as I can remember, and Matt Ryan always plays terribly there as well.  Maybe he's tight because he's from there and WANTS to play great in front of all his family and friends, I dunno, but I don't think he's ever had a good performance in that city.  I fully expect that we will come out next week and dominate the Panthers at home and get this season back on track.  It has a bit of a 2016 feel to me so far as most people probably don't know that we started out SB run that year by getting dominated by the Bucs at home before following that up with dominating games against the Raiders (who would go on to have their 12-4 season that year), Saints, Panthers, and Broncos (defending SB champs).  The Panthers were not exactly dominating against a frankly awful looking Cowboys team yesterday so I think its plausible to expect Atlanta to move the ball as well, if not better than they did against the Eagles with the difference being that they will actually score TD's this time (let's face it, the Panthers defense is good but it ain't Eagles good).

The Eagles meanwhile may have their work cut out for them in traveling to Tampa next week, if the their game against the Saints is any indication.  The Eagles should absolutely win, but Foles still doesn't look anything like the guy that played in the playoffs last year and Fitz is one of those guys who can play as well as anybody when he's hot.  Could be a classic trap game so I'm just giving you guys fair warning not to start counting on 2-0 already...

Archived