NFL Kickoff GDT: Falcons @ Eagles

TheVillain112

Who wins?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins tonight?

• Eagles
    • Falcons

3 hours ago, showtime said:

Credit the Eagles redzone defense because Matt Ryan threw every single pass out of bounds on that last drive?  After the game, I saw some Eagles reporter on Twitter talk about Darby vs Jones on the last play of the game and how he stopped Jones.  I'm reading it like... man.... What does that play have to do with Darby?  Darby had zero impact.  Jones actually caught the ball, but Ryan threw it so far out of bounds that Jones had no chance to come down in bounds.

I don't give the Eagles redzone defense almost any credit.  Atlanta is terrible in the redzone and this has been well documented before the season started.  Ryan was horrendous.  They could have been playing against the worst defense in the league and if Ryan is constantly throwing passes out of bounds then they won't even have a chance to score.

It's alot easier to throw balls on target when there's actually a window to hit the WR. Acting as though the coverage was crap and WR's were wide open is absurd or you didn't actually watch the game.

That last play to Julio like the rest was high because of the coverage, because of the pressure from the front 4. Had Darby not pushed/pulled Julio further out of bounds it is possible given how good Julio is he Toe Taps the sideline. Aka SB NE! So yes Darby had an impact.

Like it or not agree with it or not the #1 RZ Defense from last season, showed up again Thursday Night. Regardless of who they were playing.

17 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

It's alot easier to throw balls on target when there's actually a window to hit the WR. Acting as though the coverage was crap and WR's were wide open is absurd or you didn't actually watch the game.

That last play to Julio like the rest was high because of the coverage, because of the pressure from the front 4. Had Darby not pushed/pulled Julio further out of bounds it is possible given how good Julio is he Toe Taps the sideline. Aka SB NE! So yes Darby had an impact.

Like it or not agree with it or not the #1 RZ Defense from last season, showed up again Thursday Night. Regardless of who they were playing.

I don't agree.  Ryan was literally throwing passes out of bounds.  His guys never had a chance to catch it.  Before the last play to Jones, there was a phantom illegal contact call on the Eagles that gave the Falcons another chance.  On that play, Ryan literally threw the ball away.  He threw the football into the crowd.  I'm sorry, but you want defensive credit for that?  Nope.  Ont he last play, all Ryan has to do is throw a jump ball IN BOUNDS.  That play had nothing to do with Darby and everything to do with another terrible throw from Matt Ryan.... The same terrible throws he made all game.

I already said, the Falcons have had documented redzone issues and that was a huge story BEFORE the season started.  The Falcons are a trash redzone team no matter who they play.  I'm not giving the Eagles credit for that, but if you want to give them credit then go right ahead.

55 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Beating a widely regarded super bowl contender at full strength, without your #1 QB, WR and LB, deserves a lot more credit than has been given.

Uh, who’s considering Atlanta a Super Bowl contender? Both teams looked like doo doo. That’s why no ones giving you credit. Eagles were the less crappy team on Thursday, not going to get praise for that lol

5 hours ago, showtime said:

I don't agree.  Ryan was literally throwing passes out of bounds.  His guys never had a chance to catch it.  Before the last play to Jones, there was a phantom illegal contact call on the Eagles that gave the Falcons another chance.  On that play, Ryan literally threw the ball away.  He threw the football into the crowd.  I'm sorry, but you want defensive credit for that?  Nope.  Ont he last play, all Ryan has to do is throw a jump ball IN BOUNDS.  That play had nothing to do with Darby and everything to do with another terrible throw from Matt Ryan.... The same terrible throws he made all game.

I already said, the Falcons have had documented redzone issues and that was a huge story BEFORE the season started.  The Falcons are a trash redzone team no matter who they play.  I'm not giving the Eagles credit for that, but if you want to give them credit then go right ahead.

Still missing the point. Why was Ryan throwing balls away? Because pressure was forcing too? Because coverage was to tight to force a possible TO? Combination of both? You're acting like this was a 7on7 practice or something not a real game. 

Once again that last play yes could of been thrown better but it was catchable and without Darby pushing) pulling him out of bounds could of resulted in a toe tap TD had he not. QB's throw balls away all the time NOT to force a TO. Typically when that occurs like on Thursday Night, what I described above usually happens.

Players weren't wide open. Ryan didn't have all day to throw. Acting as if they were because ATL happens to suck histirically in the RZ has nothing to do with the Eagles actually preventing them from scoring numerous times in that very same RZ. Not just on that last drive.

We heard the same thing all last year. Teams always beat themselves when they lost to the Eagles not the Eagles actually doing their jobs in beating them.

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I agree, Darby and that Philly defense was phenomenal down in the RZ.  Atlanta was easily able to move the ball at will all over the field except down in close to the goal line and that is because Philly's defense is just so tough when they get backed up like that.  It was the same story last year as even in the SB a lot of NE's scoring came on longer plays and FG's (though Brady is the GOAT and stung them on a couple of goal-to-go situations to Gronk, but Ryan is definitely not Brady and they don't have a TE of near Gronk's talent either).  

As I said leading up to the game, the first game of the year is always sloppy, weird, and short on execution (and the defenses are always way ahead of offenses early on too) so this loss is not an immediate cause for concern for my Falcons as I do believe they will clean up some of their execution issues in the RZ as the season goes ahead (I would also caution Philly fans from taking too much from this game since Foles was pretty bad for most of the game and they were at home too), but until Atlanta and Sark actually change the narrative about their RZ shortcomings with good execution and play the issue will remain a sore spot for Falcons fans. 

They simply have to do better, and I'm not excluding Ryan from this because he honestly looked very very far and away from the 6th best QB in the NFL (my personal QB rankings) last night.  I would point out that he has never really played well at home (he's from the Philly area) and I dunno if its just a case of simply trying too hard since he had about 50 family and friends at the game or whatever, but a large part of the blame for the loss is squarely on his shoulders.  The NFC is loaded this year so there is no room for excuses, they just have to get things fixed and quickly if they intend to make a serious playoff push this season.  Carolina is coming to town soon enough and despite all the crap I've given Cam on these boards, they are certainly capable of doing the same sort of things defensively that Philly did on Thursday.  The Eagles loss isn't nearly as significant as a divisional loss would be so they need to really focus on righting the ship now before things have a chance of snowballing out of control...

5 hours ago, showtime said:

I would absolutely agree with you on that point for sure.  That play was the entire game at that point so there is just no reason whatsoever in throwing it out of bounds.  Ryan HAS to keep that ball in bounds in that situation despite the risk of an INT because its the last chance they have and he HAS to understand that.  Now, he obviously struggled with accuracy in the RZ all night long and that goes back to what I said above about him being tight and underperforming in Philly, so it was probably just a failure of execution.  That said, I can't think of a top-10 QB on my list of QB's that would have failed as consistently as Ryan did in the RZ on Thursday no matter how much I've defended him in the past.  Tom Brady does not come away from two consecutive first-and-goal situations with only 3 points.  Period.  Neither do Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Phil Rivers, Matthew Stafford, etc.  Ryan is now going to have extra scrutiny in scenarios like this because he is the second highest paid QB in the NFL now and should be expected to be able to toss a TD pass at least ONCE given how many goal-to-go situations they had in that game.  

The shame of it (as a Falcons fan at least) is that the offense mostly dominated the game everywhere else on the field throughout the game and they clearly seemed like the better team all night long, with the Eagles constantly seeming to just be hanging on for dear life at times, yet they still lost.  The final score is the only stat that counts at the end of the day and it doesn't matter how much they SHOULD have won, they didn't.  Its been the same thing ever since the SB (another game they absolutely dominated and should've won), carried into last year's playoff loss to the Eagles, and now into the game last night.  There are just no excuses to give games away like they keep doing.

Side note - I am actually quite astounded not to have taken a lot of heat and gloating by Eagles fans in this thread (or others)!  I fully expected to see about 20 of my quotes over the past couple weeks thrown into my face (deservedly so) but most Eagles fans have been pretty reserved about the win they absolutely earned Thursday.  Maybe it goes back to that sense of just hanging on all game that I mentioned earlier, but make no mistake, the Eagles deserved the win with their inspired RZ defensive performance, no matter how badly Ryan may have executed in those situations.  I congratulate you guys and your team on a hard fought victory and can only hope that my Falcons can figure out how to be champions like you guys clearly are someday (preferably this season).

33 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Side note - I am actually quite astounded not to have taken a lot of heat and gloating by Eagles fans in this thread (or others)!  I fully expected to see about 20 of my quotes over the past couple weeks thrown into my face (deservedly so) but most Eagles fans have been pretty reserved about the win they absolutely earned Thursday.  Maybe it goes back to that sense of just hanging on all game that I mentioned earlier, but make no mistake, the Eagles deserved the win with their inspired RZ defensive performance, no matter how badly Ryan may have executed in those situations.  I congratulate you guys and your team on a hard fought victory and can only hope that my Falcons can figure out how to be champions like you guys clearly are someday (preferably this season).

Most of us were expecting the loss given the players missing. So gloating about a Win we shouldn't of had given the circumstances, doesn't make sense. For most of us, we still have a select few. ?

I will however commend you for acknowledging the massive amount of Smack Talk you were doing, and being man enough to eat some crow afterwards. Many on this forum would of cowered away and hid in that circumstance unless it came true!!! Then their profits!! ?

3 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Uh, who’s considering Atlanta a Super Bowl contender? Both teams looked like doo doo. That’s why no ones giving you credit. Eagles were the less crappy team on Thursday, not going to get praise for that lol

Lol Uh are you serious? If credit can't be given for what Philly pulled off then idk what it can be given for. How some ppl can be so blind to massively critical injuries is hysterical to me. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Don't deny that. However he was made to look expedentially worse by our RZ Defense.

I'd say he was made to look exponentially worse by his OC's play calling. Uninspired, Madden-like play calling with no rhyme nor reason. The 4th down call proves that. It's just selecting plays from a sheet that COULD work, not linking play calls/scheme. Eagles done very well to keep those bad calls out, of course. 

Archived