NFL Kickoff GDT: Falcons @ Eagles

TheVillain112

Who wins?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins tonight?

• Eagles
    • Falcons

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Really curious to see if Jimmy G lives up to the hype this season. I don't think they have enough weapons tbh.

The weapons will be fine. There are two things that I"ll be looking at for Jimmy - his red zone success and his interceptions. He's going to throw more interceptions than people think. He doesn't strike many as a gunslinger, but he absolutely is. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The weapons will be fine. There are two things that I"ll be looking at for Jimmy - his red zone success and his interceptions. He's going to throw more interceptions than people think. He doesn't strike many as a gunslinger, but he absolutely is. 

Yeah, the red zone success definitely concerns me.  I can see you guys being electric between the 20's and then not so much in the RZ.  It's kind of why as a Goodwin owner, I'm hoping for a hot start so I can flip him (multiple Niners fans in my leagues that I can bilk).

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

If I'm being real, when your best RB is McKinnon, and your best WR is Marquise Goodwin, I'm not particularly worried.

McKinnon obviously was a much bigger threat out of the backfield than as a runner. I hated that signing. I get what they were doing, but you're basically using him as a passing down back. I honestly would have tried trading for Gio Bernard instead, who's better at running the football, just as good out of the backfield, and would have been cheaper. You could have also signed a number of guys you could have named a "starter" to be a weapon out of the backfield. 

Goodwin is better than you think. He's not a legit wr1 or anything, but he's good at what he does. He'll hit 1100 yards this season if he's healthy, but he'll do it similar to the manner in which Marvin Jones did it last year. 

It's important to remember with the 49er weapons in my opinion - it's not the players, its the scheming and coaching. I think Goodwin is pretty much a replaceable part in the offense (though again, he's better than given credit for), but he's going to have success in this offense because of Shanahan in my opinion. That's why I don't worry about the weapons. They are all pretty solid, but I think Shanny just makes them better than they are, and obviously having a real quarterback (even if he's not the greatest thing since sliced bread), will help a ton as well. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

McKinnon obviously was a much bigger threat out of the backfield than as a runner. I hated that signing. I get what they were doing, but you're basically using him as a passing down back. I honestly would have tried trading for Gio Bernard instead, who's better at running the football, just as good out of the backfield, and would have been cheaper. You could have also signed a number of guys you could have named a "starter" to be a weapon out of the backfield. 

Goodwin is better than you think. He's not a legit wr1 or anything, but he's good at what he does. He'll hit 1100 yards this season if he's healthy, but he'll do it similar to the manner in which Marvin Jones did it last year. 

The best way to describe it in my viewpoint is... they're all complimentary pieces, no one is particularly a player you go and think "wow I really need to specifically game plan for them or things might go poorly." You can just sort of run whatever defense you've been doing and it should work just fine. Ironic that he's on your team now, but Goodwin is about as threatening as Pierre Garcon, or Torrey Smith (when they were actually decent)

Just now, Danger said:

The best way to describe it in my viewpoint is... they're all complimentary pieces, no one is particularly a player you go and think "wow I really need to specifically game plan for them or things might go poorly." You can just sort of run whatever defense you've been doing and it should work just fine. Ironic that he's on your team now, but Goodwin is about as threatening as Pierre Garcon, or Torrey Smith (when they were actually decent)

Would agree with that absolutely. Like I said, not really putting my faith in the players and their natural ability so much as I am the coaching and scheming. I'm all in on Shanny being able to coordinate a very, very good offense without elite pieces....except maybe inside the red zone :D

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's important to remember with the 49er weapons in my opinion - it's not the players, its the scheming and coaching. I think Goodwin is pretty much a replaceable part in the offense (though again, he's better than given credit for), but he's going to have success in this offense because of Shanahan in my opinion. That's why I don't worry about the weapons. They are all pretty solid, but I think Shanny just makes them better than they are, and obviously having a real quarterback (even if he's not the greatest thing since sliced bread), will help a ton as well. 

Frankly, scat backs are a dime a dozen. I don't feel like it would be remotely hard for y'all to find a cheap one.

As for Jimmy, you better just hope he stays alive after Aaron Donald and Suh get done playing with their meals (better known as . . . well, nobody actually knows whom they are, but they're your two starting OGs . . . one might be named Peoples or Persons and the other is Laker something). ;)

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Frankly, scat backs are a dime a dozen. I don't feel like it would be remotely hard for y'all to find a cheap one.

As for Jimmy, you better just hope he stays alive after Aaron Donald and Suh get done playing with their meals (better known as . . . well, nobody actually knows whom they are, but they're your two starting OGs . . . one might be named Peoples or Persons and the other is Laker something). ;)

I actually have a request in to the league to allow us 4 offensive linemen in additional to our standard 11 man offensive unit in that game. Currently waiting to hear back on that. 

In all honesty, I don't know if it would work, but with those corners and that interior pressure, I really hope that we start off with some trap and wham running plays and some slip screens in the passing game. Doubt it would happen as they don't appear to be part of Shanny's playbooks, but it's the only way I know of to keep your defense remotely honest against our interior offensive line. 

Glad to see the Eagles defense without Timmy Jerningan and Nigel Bradham was able to limit/stop for the most part the Falcons high flying offense. Ugly Win reminiscent of the Divisional Game last season but, Hell I'll take it!! Very Clear that we need Alson and Wentz back!! Just need to somehow get thru this first month .500 or above!

PS: Nick Foles just made 500k tonight! Extra 250K per start/ 250K for every Win.

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Donald and Suh's eyes will be blinded by Jimmy G's good looks at the LOS. Not worried. 

16 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Total Yards. 

Falcons, 299. 

Eagles, 232. 

Penalties, 236.

Yeah think they said something along the lines as more penalties in this game then from any other game last season.

Think one of the Refs is having carpal tunnel surgery on Monday. Out 2-3 weeks. Damn injuries!!

Archived