Pittsburgh/Bell Situation

bigbadbuff23835

Just now, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Haven’t seen this being discussed on here much.  What is going on? And why haven’t they traded him is my bigger question.

Probably not a very robust trade market for him to be honest and I don't know that they are getting more in trade than what they are as a compensatory pick if he departs in free agency. 

According to ESPN, they wouldn't get a comp pick if they now rescind the tag, so no chance of that happening if that is the case (though I could swear that Carolina still got it's comp pick when they rescinded the tag on Norman, though I may be incorrect) 

8 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Haven’t seen this being discussed on here much.  What is going on? And why haven’t they traded him is my bigger question.

he hasn't signed , therefore he can't be traded.  He can wait until after week 10 to sign and then it's is too late to trade him :P  

This is distracting the team and the team was counting on bell so as it stands  they lack depth at RB in case the injury bug strikes  :o.  Tomlin doesn't have control of the players, social media drama and more distractions. Imagine not knowing if/when he will return for the entire season? I have a post in a thread saying how the HC should address the team and move forward. If they keep having this drama, it will waste this season and the difficult schedule they have will only help that matter.

21 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

At this point you can't really trade Bell.  The team that trades for him can't sign him long term until next season.  So they are essentially trading for 1 year of service, and Bell already stated he doesn't want a lot of touches this season before he signs a long term deal.  So the new team would be in the same situation as the Steelers.

Basically two scenarios at this point.  1.) Bell reports and the Steelers get something out him this season. Even if it's week 10 that he shows up  2.) Steelers rescind the tag and Bell signs long term elsewhere.  I doubt Option #2 happens, but it's more realistic than a trade at this point IMO...

16 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

At this point you can't really trade Bell.  The team that trades for him can't sign him long term until next season.  So they are essentially trading for 1 year of service, and Bell already stated he doesn't want a lot of touches this season before he signs a long term deal.  So the new team would be in the same situation as the Steelers.

I had no idea this was the case. Bell is really screwing over Pitt and at the same time ruining his chances of making any money this year.

If I'm Bells agent I'm absolutely telling Bell not to report until at least Week 9. Steelers know this is absolutely the last year they have Bell and will probably try to get 350 carries out of the guy. Absolutely nobody is paying Bell coming off that many carries. 

I feel Bells situation is a lot worse than Mack, Donald, Thomas etc. He's a RB who's average shelf life is like 7 years. Steelers by tagging him are eating like six years of his career. There's no way he gets anything more than a three year contract in the off season and nothing in that third year will be guaranteed. I'd be absolutely furious as well if I was the guy.... although it is a business and I do understand Pittsburghs side of it. However, sounds like Pittsburghs communication and attitude towards the situation could be a lotttt better. 

Making him play on the franchise tag again through his age 27 season is the "smart" move for the Steelers.

The fact that you can franchise a RB twice, after giving him over 430 touches his last tag year is legal per the CBA, but totally unfair to the player. 

The Steelers O-lineman look really bad IMO for antagonizing Bell for looking out for himself.

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Making him play on the franchise tag again through his age 27 season is the "smart" move for the Steelers.

The fact that you can franchise a RB twice, after giving him over 430 touches his last tag year is legal per the CBA, but totally unfair to the player. 

The Steelers O-lineman look really bad IMO for antagonizing Bell for looking out for himself.

I'm really hoping that in the next cba, they increase the consecutive franchise tag to 150% rather than 120%. I think that is fair. Will leave teams very unlikely to franchise anyone twice. 

I think Bell is an idiot for turning down that 5 year $70 million offer, but I also completely understand where he's coming from at this point because he will get $15M+ on the open market as long as Pittsburgh doesn't franchise him again. So he really is just looking out for his own best interests at this point. Good thing I didn't draft him in my fantasy league, especially since I found out he doesn't want a lot of touches

8 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

not to forget the coach who is supposed to have control of his team, social medial included.

15 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I agree with this.  Bell did put out statements that he would sit out if tagged again as well, but I guess no one (even the Steeler OL) believed him.  Communication sounds like it needed to be better between his teammates and himself.  I don't blame Bell per se for not wanting back-to-back 400+ touch seasons without a long term deal.

The Union needs to eliminate the ability for teams to tag a player two years in a row.  One year I get, but 2 seasons for a RB is a lot...

I think its pathetic on the part of the Steelers players to come out and bad mouth a guy while he's not there. First you shouldn't even be talking about another man's money, so that little "hes making twice more then me" quote by their offensive lineman was just pathetic. 

If I was Bell, I would take my sweet time even more. The way those offensive Linemen were crying yesterday,  they might purposely miss a block and get you hurt.

4 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

I think Bell is an idiot for turning down that 5 year $70 million offer, but I also completely understand where he's coming from at this point because he will get $15M+ on the open market as long as Pittsburgh doesn't franchise him again. So he really is just looking out for his own best interests at this point. Good thing I didn't draft him in my fantasy league, especially since I found out he doesn't want a lot of touches

The deal they offered him was goo d according to many but not to him, thats his call. No problem, I understand that . The problem I have with all this is that he never gave them a date of arrival and it is being a distraction . If he said I will show up after week 6 then that would be good enough for me relatively speaking. Right no the team has no idea and is lacking depth at RB so if they trade for a RB and then Bell shows up, that is another topic of discussion/drama .  NFLPA and the CBA are the biggest flaw, and perhaps the agent too . He never signed last year and this year, so it wasn't a shock that he did something like this, his idea or the agents, it doesn't matter at this stage.  I wanted the Steelers to let him walk because I thought something like this could happen and I think he team can win without him anyways (plus our D needed help). 

The Eagle won, they beat the pats (which the steelers with bell can't) and they did it without a HOF QB, HOF WR, OR BELL . How the steelers fell into this mess after him not signing last year is really and joke on them.  AP is starting for the redskins , and this is for vet minimum and I wanted the steelers to sign him for example . The Steelers could have added 2 UFA's to help the D and not have any of these distractions and IMO a better team.  

They haven't won anything with bell, thats a fact, great player but only part of the puzzle.  I expect the OL and Connor to play well and move on,  but lets see if tomlin gets control of the player when it comes to social media and the media

Given this situation, what would his trade value look like? Steelers are basically SOL until Week 10, Bell is walking back into a hostile locker room - you've got to think a team can come in with a trade offer that is far less than what Bell is worth. Contract situation is different, but somebody has the cap room needed to make an offer.

Is there any team out there who'd fit this bill? 

Archived