Around The League

Bobby816

I honestly think if we end up keeping Macc we go with someone with HC experience over a new hire, McCarthy, Both Harbaughs, Schwartz, Dan Campbell, and Josh McCaniels would be the guys I’d think he’d look at.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The question with McCarthy is how good is he without Rodgers. And I don’t think we are in a position to test that. I’d rather just get a talented OC with a scheme that’s adjusted to today’s nfl.

See the thing is I’m not sure there are any of those outside of Carmichael. LaFluer and Deflippo haven’t been as great as some of us have thought and at this point I’d kind of like to have McCarthy on as HC because he helped turn Rodgers into a GOAT. A lot of people forget Rodgers was RAW coming out of Cal and had to adjust and learn a Pro style system. Let him get his hands on Sam and I think we’ll be in business

2 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

See the thing is I’m not sure there are any of those outside of Carmichael. LaFluer and Deflippo haven’t been as great as some of us have thought and at this point I’d kind of like to have McCarthy on as HC because he helped turn Rodgers into a GOAT. A lot of people forget Rodgers was RAW coming out of Cal and had to adjust and learn a Pro style system. Let him get his hands on Sam and I think we’ll be in business

I think I'm beginning to side with everyone who's aboard the McCarthy train. He's a winning coach with experience coaching young QBs. Better than making the coin flip with all these wanna-be McVays.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think I'm beginning to side with everyone who's aboard the McCarthy train. He's a winning coach with experience coaching young QBs. Better than making the coin flip with all these wanna-be McVays.

Not only that but hes well respected as a winning coach, he should be able to build an exceptional staff. Who knows maybe he will have an Andy Reid like effect.

Used to be a big Mike McCarthy fan. Truth is he has done a pretty bad job the last few years with the most talented QB in the league. I wont be upset if we give him a try, but we arent going to be first on anyones list. John Dorsey has already apparently reached out to him.  I also hate that we will be competing with the Packer for a HC. Hopefully McDaniels just goes there since he wouldnt even be on our list.

I just read an article that said Rodgers used to change the plays at the LOS so often it became a competition between him and McCarthy on who could call the better play, and that this season he did it so often it made it extremely difficult for McCarthy to get into any kind of offensive rhythm. 

It won't happen, but my dream staff would contain the following coaches... 

• HC: John Harbaugh 
  • OC: Kliff Kingsbury 
    • QBs: Jeremy Bates
  • DC: Chuck Pagano 

I think the Jets are going to go hard for Harbaugh when he and the Ravens "mutually agree to part ways", and he'll likely be the face of our football operation with Maccagnan reporting to him. That said, Kliff Kingsbury is arguably the most intriguing name of the group. He was a Jets QB in 2005, and part of our organization in 2006 albeit in NFL Europe. His OC and QB coach were Mike Hermindinger (father of Jets current Director of Player Personnel) and Jeremy Bates. In a perfect world, Jeremy Bates would stick around to continue teaching Darnold the nuances and the fundamentals of the QB position as the QB Coach (his best spot), with Kingsbury being a more natural coordinator who focuses on the offensive identity and play-calling. It also provides the much desired continuity for Darnold being that he's familiar with Bates. Then on defense, you get a guy in Pagano who has spent a year away from the game and was a great coordinator prior to becoming a head coach in Indy. 

52 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think the Jets are going to go hard for Harbaugh when he and the Ravens "mutually agree to part ways", and he'll likely be the face of our football operation with Maccagnan reporting to him. That said, Kliff Kingsbury is arguably the most intriguing name of the group. He was a Jets QB in 2005, and part of our organization in 2006 albeit in NFL Europe. His OC and QB coach were Mike Hermindinger (father of Jets current Director of Player Personnel) and Jeremy Bates. In a perfect world, Jeremy Bates would stick around to continue teaching Darnold the nuances and the fundamentals of the QB position as the QB Coach (his best spot), with Kingsbury being a more natural coordinator who focuses on the offensive identity and play-calling. It also provides the much desired continuity for Darnold being that he's familiar with Bates. Then on defense, you get a guy in Pagano who has spent a year away from the game and was a great coordinator prior to becoming a head coach in Indy. 

I love this but I want absolutely no part of Bates anymore even as a QB coach. We need entirely new blood in here. I also want to fire Mac and try and pry Scott Pioli from Atlanta who is their assistant GM. Pioli will get this organization going in the right direction and bring in a no BS coach. I do love the idea of Harbaugh but Bates cannot return idc whose his ties are.

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Man as a Tech guy I’d love for KK to be our OC

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I love this but I want absolutely no part of Bates anymore even as a QB coach. We need entirely new blood in here. I also want to fire Mac and try and pry Scott Pioli from Atlanta who is their assistant GM. Pioli will get this organization going in the right direction and bring in a no BS coach. I do love the idea of Harbaugh but Bates cannot return idc whose his ties are.

While I would like to bring in a guy like Pioli who probably has a good idea how he'd want to build a team the more traditional way (he hires a coach to execute his vision), I truly think the primary issue with this organization is less Maccagnan and more Bowles. Unlike many GMs, Maccagnan is unselfish and he's willing to work with his head coach to build the team in an image they can agree upon. He fits the mold of GM that is working for some of the best teams in the NFL: Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Texans, Pats, and Bears all have execs who focus on discovering and acquiring talent based on the vision of the head coach. It's not a perfect formula (SF, OAK, NYJ, BUF, and CIN who adhere to this strategy as well), but it is certainly one that is capable of working. 

He and Bowles had not known each other prior, yet they were able to build a good, functional working relationship. They determined that the priority was to rebuild the culture of the team and I agree that was important. That being said, I think our primary issue regarding talent acquisition is that Bowles has not been able to effectively define what type of players (or coaches for that matter) are desired on a deeper level. 

We've made it a priority to bring in players who have a reputation for being tough, have leadership qualities, football character, and high football IQ. Those are all important qualities, but they will only get you so far. Part of a coaches job is to teach and instill football character/IQ to talented players, and player development has clearly been another issue. So while we've hit on certain players due to them being being the "best fit" in the sense that they are not only the most talented player on the board but they also have strong leadership/character/IQ qualities, we've missed on a lot of players because we didn't prioritize the talent aspect enough - or we've focused on players who are more well rounded rather than drafting them for a specific role or a specific talent - and I think this has more to do with a flawed plan construed by mainly Bowles than it has to do with Maccagnan. What I'm trying to say is, Maccagnan is trying to build the team in Todd's image, except Todd's image is flawed, incomplete, and lacks definition. It's not much unlike Les Snead, who was trying to build a team in Fisher's image, but Fisher's concept was out-dated and stale. 

So lets say the Jets are to give Macc a second chance to be the GM with a new head coach. Unless they're giving him full power to hire the HC and dictate the direction of the franchise (which I don't foresee), they need the next coach to do what Todd couldn't: properly define the direction of the franchise and how they seek to propel the franchise forward. 

So enter a guy like Harbaugh. He shares similar values that Bowles had, but is a better coach. In Baltimore, he hasn't been given much say in personnel due to Ozzie Newsome running the show, and I think therein lies why there will be a parting of ways; Harbaugh has to be a little bitter that DeCosta will immediately become the one with the most power in the organization, as opposed to himself. I think he would enjoy the opportunity to come in here and be "the guy".  He'll map out the direction of the franchise - the type of players he wants, what he values, etc. - and rely on Macc and his department to find those players. It's not to say your stripping Macc of player acquisition power, but you're making his job easier when the coach is capable of telling him what he wants and values in a player other than high character. If Macc didn't succeed, he would likely be replaced by someone of Harbaugh's choosing. However, I have a good feeling that he will be successful if given a more clear direction. 

Archived