5 UP / 5 DOWN. Disaster in Ohio.

steelcurtain29

46 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Our Coordinators shouldn't be our coordinators.  They learned from guys that were part of the problem as to why they lost their jobs.

what a way of putting it, and this could be a part of the underachieving. I am not reacting just yet, but have thought along the lines of your quote. We needed new blood and some changes, but I think the D scheme is quite different than LeBeau's so that has some changes anyways.I don't seem to get as upset with coordinators as some here do,  but understand.

32 minutes ago, warfelg said:

But.....Hunter out there over Washington as the deep threat was a mistake

I think Washington has abdominal injury, so as time goes on I expect that to go away and him to return and be the player you are expecting

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yesterday should have been a Juju/Switzer feast for yards.  LB's were playing within 5 yards of the LOS and the Safeties were playing 20 yards off the LOS.  But we weren't running routes to that area.  Between the hashes intermediate throws should have been happening all game long to make the safeties drop into the box, but those plays were never called.

lack of adjustments has been a problem over the years, is it just our team?

Down - Ben's decision making.  No excuses this year on the OC.

Down - Tomlin not giving ANY OTHER RB A CARRY ALL GAME!!!  Conner was gassed in the 4th quarter which lead to fumble.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Down - Hunter being in the game at all.  DHB, Switzer and Hunter all get snaps but not Washington.  Hunter had  6 yards on 5 targets, only one catch.

UP-

1. TJ Watt: was a force today. Was physical at the line, brought the thunder several different times today, and was all over the field making plays. NFL.com has him at 4 sacks (I thought it was only three?), 8 tackles, and the game-tying block ( :lol: ) at the end.

2. Bud Dupree: I would have to go back and re-watch, but I thought this was his best game as a pro. Granted, he was going up against a rookie UDFA at LT, so good results should be expected. but he was a hell of a lot more physical today than I can remember.

3. Mike Hilton: Stud. Made a ton of great timely break ups and tackles. What a find this kid is.

4. Jon Bostic: I'm sure the holes in his game will be more visible with time and with a different opponent/weather situation, but this was what he was brought here for.

5. James Conner: I know he didn't finish strong, outside of the one-handed catch on the drive in OT that could have won it, but he stepped up and delivered. Ran hard, especially in the first half, did well in protection, and showed that he's a damn fine capable RB. If Bell sits for a long time we'll be okay. That fumble was tough though, especially since it was such a light hit.

I don't want to make excuses but weather played a big part in our sloppy play.

Downs

Ben still making bad decisions especially in the red zone, cant happen.

Tomlin, still no discipline (stupid penalties). Falls directly on the head coach.

What big words did he look up in the dictionary for his press conference this week to make it look like knows what he is doing??????

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Down - Hunter being in the game at all.  DHB, Switzer and Hunter all get snaps but not Washington.  Hunter had  6 yards on 5 targets, only one catch.

Ben overthrew him twice, including one early in the game where Hunter might have gone for 6 if Ben hit him.

10 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I'd count the Secondary as an up. Besides Landry (who caught a 39 yrdr) they kept the Browns passing attack in check.

The biggest issue (imo) was the lack of containment especially in the 1st Half. TT made several plays running outside. Depending on the play, it was the DEs and/or OLBs fault. Also, the lack of speed at ILB allowed those plays to be so successful. 

It was hard for me to tell because games are televised in QB cam (also because I'm old) but I didn't see Edmunds close to the LOS and appeared to be in coverage more times then not. Is that accurate? If so, it would have been nice to have him down a little closer to negate those QB runs. 

Edmunds played close to the LOS and that's when the Browns were running it down our throats. Bostic played a fantastic game and constantly blowed up the blockers and showed speed getting to the RBs. Edmunds got caught up in the wash too much for my liking.

UP

1. Conner

2. Bostic was very impressive in 1st half especially

3. Sean Davis was showing up everywhere in 1st half especially

4. Ryan Switzer was a huge consistent factor on punt returns, every chance he seemed to get yards that we never get from any other returners, definite plus

5. The defense in general was very good, IMO , it gets demoralizing no matter what you try to say or do when your O keeps giving the ball away

+  TJ Watt keeps coming

DOWN

1. Turnovers

2. AB seemed to be out of sync for much of the game

3. The Rain, football in snow is fun, but football in the rain is ugghh

4. Missed opportunities for turnovers.

5. Ben was off target at times, not even on the interceptions so much, just more erratic than normal.

Up

1. Conner--Outside of the fumble, which was a massive and game turning screw up, run game didn't miss a beat without bell

2. Watt--Monster performance, his high motor was on full display all game

3. Cameron Heyward--thought he was dominant all game--did a really nice job

4. ILB Blitzes--caused a lot of problems for the Browns

5. Sean Davis--Promising start for him.  Made a few really nice plays

Downs:

1. Ben--Weather or not, I thought he was about as bad as a QB could be this game.  No excuses for that type of performance.  Accuracy was pretty god awful but expect that to be corrected next week.  Not too concerned

2. Boswell--Missing that game winner was killer

3. QB contain--Tyrod Taylor makes one read and then runs.  He couldn't pass all game yet we were constantly giving him room to run with his legs

4. Officiating--I saw some Browns fans complaining about the refs and there were some calls on either side for sure but that turnover on the punt not being reversed ended up causing us the game in my opinion

5. Offensive Line Penalties--The amount of holding calls that game was just demoralizing.  Those end up being drive killers and they can't happen with such frequency

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

Down - Tomlin not giving ANY OTHER RB A CARRY ALL GAME!!!  Conner was gassed in the 4th quarter which lead to fumble. 

Good point because he normally appears to have security yet had this lapse and Garrett g to the FF .  I never thought being gassed will cause such lapse but it did.

5 hours ago, Lambert44 said:

Tomlin, still no discipline (stupid penalties). Falls directly on the head coach.

perhaps a players coach is in fact a coach that has no control of the players?

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

Mike Hilton: Stud. Made a ton of great timely break ups and tackles. What a find this kid is.

agree, Sutton isn't too shabby either. Burns could be pushed out of starter spot eventually IMO

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Also, can everyone agree that Arians is full of it.

I intentionally tried to not listen to him. Having a fellow fan and friend helps but once I saw that arians was calling the colour, I felt that I would get irritated and he would be biased towards ben since they were pals. 

A down I would like to add is Haden's injury. He makes a difference in the pass defense when he is out there. Unfortunately, as has been the case the past few years, he can't stay healthy. The Browns immediately went after Sutton when Haden went down and tied the game. Hopefully his injury won't be long term. I recall last year, at one point, the Steelers were giving up 70 more yards through the air without him.

I will never understand  Tomlin's refusal to let RBs get a breather here or there. He's done this from the very beginning of his tenure. Conner was very good but he didn't do much in the fourth quarter and OT. Here's a player who hasn't gotten a workload like that since he was in college. Sure he's young but he simply isn't used to that many carries. Would a fresh Ridley coming in for a series make a difference? I don't know and I understand he's had fumble issues so maybe Tomlin didn't want to risk it in the rainy weather but I hope Conner doesn't get run into the ground by the middle of the year and has nothing left in the tank the rest of the way.

Good to see that Burns decided to pick up where Mitchell left off on being the hot tempered moron of the secondary. More discipline issues as usual.

Up

James Conner -  35 Rushes for 135 Yards and 2 Touchdowns.  He did an excellent job, like Bell he got stopped after short or no gains a few times.  His one fumble was his big negative but it doesn't erase the major positive role he had in this game.  

TJ Watt - TJ absolutely went off in this game. The blocked FG was the stamp on an already amazing day.

Cam Heyward - Absolute monster, as usual.  Disrupted the oline frequently in this game.

Ryan Switzer - Didn't have much of an offensive impact but as a returner, he did very well.  We started almost every drive at the 30+ when it was a kick off and he got decent returns when able to return at all on Punts.  I like what i've seen so far.

Defense - For being what was supposed to be our biggest weakness, it did not look it yesterday.  Yes, we have our flaws, not enough speed at LB, lack of experience at DB, but overall I felt they did a great job with what they were getting thrown at them.

Down

Ben Roethlisberger - Absolutely terrible game.  Even if you don't blame him for the interception on the pass intended for James, he still had 3 more, the other two being completely on him.  The 2 fumbles, yep, I'm tagging them to him too, especially the one that Garrett caused because how you don't see him coming is beyond me.  Gotta play better as the leader of this offense.  The things he did well don't cover up the things he didn't.

Artie Burns - Could care less what he did well, because when he got what, imo, should've been 30 yards in penalties instead of 15, that was all she wrote for me. He should've been benched the rest of the game.  ABSOLUTELY inexcuable.

Sean Davis - There is only one reason I have him listed here.  That first shot to Njoku on the Browns' first or second possession that hit the tip of Njoku's fingers, yeah that was a legit helmet to helmet that likely would've resulted in an ejection.  Gotta play smarter, even if he did lean his shoulder, he led with his helmet, it was obvious.

Refs - Give me a &%$#~@! break.....need I say more?

Bud Dupree - The only reason you're a friggin' starter is because Adeniyi is not healthy, yep I said that.  Running 18 miles every play to try to make it 5 feet in front of you?  Could God man...you might have had one or two good plays but mostly, as usual, you suck.

Boswell - I'm going to preface this by saying he deserved every bit of the deal he got.  Having said that, you can't miss this FG, it wasn't even remotely close to good, it was obvious from the start it was going to go wide left. Can't blame you for not winning, but you gotta do better moving forward.

Archived