Around the NFL

KingTitan

26 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Agreed. But I’m also aware that virtually no other fan base sees it for us. 

I give up trying to defend Mariota to other fan bases/national media.

You'd have to watch him weekly to see why us Titans fans think highly of him. His stats won't tell the story.

It's nice to see a national figure think of highly of him as most of us do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

You'd have to watch him weekly to see why us Titans fans think highly of him. His stats won't tell the story.

Haha stop dude. Just look at 33% of the data and ignore the other 67% and it’s clear Marcus is trash you blind whelp!

Edited by dtait93

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

Yep and any attempt to explain why stats don’t tell the story is just homerism/making excuses. Not worth it. Lol

17 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Yep and any attempt to explain why stats don’t tell the story is just homerism/making excuses. Not worth it. Lol

Before the Eagles game they displayed a statsheet basically showing Mariota's and Went's career stats per game to be very similar, yet only one gets all the credit.

Not worried about it. I hope everyone sleeps on us. It makes each victory that much more satisfying.

Also, there were two times Sunday when Wentz could/should have been intercepted. With the luck Mariota had last year both of those would have been picked off.

Edited by TitanSS

19 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Before the Eagles game they displayed a statsheet basically showing Mariota's and Went's career stats per game to be very similar, yet only one gets all the credit.

Smh. Please stop with the logic. That’s not allowed around here. The 2017 season is the real Marcus! Your not allowed to bring up his 2015 and 2016 season! That hurts my arguments!

• Like 1

Mariota is not on Wentz's level or really even close to it. Wentz is bordering on being an elite level QB if he keeps this up. Wentz's struggles in his rookie year is why the stats are similar.

Mariota is a decent QB, but lets not start comparing him to Wentz. That's just silly talk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

Mariota is not on Wentz's level or really even close to it. Wentz is bordering on being an elite level QB if he keeps this up. Wentz's struggles in his rookie year is why the stats are similar.

Mariota is a decent QB, but lets not start comparing him to Wentz. That's just silly talk.

I don't really think Wentz's  second year (with a much better staff and roster) is that far off from Mariota in his second year. Even statistically they are similar.

Mariota: 276/ 451 (61.2%) 3426 yds (7.6 YPA) 28 Total TDS / 9 INTs 

Wentz: 265/440 (60.2%) 3296 yds (7.5 YPA) 33 Total TD / 7 INTs

Wentz's rookie year struggles don't have anything to do with it. Mariota can be damn good.

Thinking Wentz is in a completely different league is a great example of recency bias. Mariota had a down year while Wentz had a good year, so automatically Wentz is better going forward, right?

2016 Mariota can absolutely be an elite level QB if he can stay on the field. It's not his fault he was stuck with a horrible coaching staff his first three seasons. However, if he doesn't take that step forward we expected in 2017, I obviously wouldn't put him up there with Wentz. 

10 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I don't really think Wentz's  second year (with a much better staff and roster) is that far off from Mariota in his second year. Even statistically they are similar.

Mariota: 276/ 451 (61.2%) 3426 yds (7.6 YPA) 28 Total TDS / 9 INTs 

Wentz: 265/440 (60.2%) 3296 yds (7.5 YPA) 33 Total TD / 7 INTs

Wentz's rookie year struggles don't have anything to do with it. Mariota can be damn good.

Thinking Wentz is in a completely different league is a great example of recency bias. Mariota had a down year while Wentz had a good year, so automatically Wentz is better going forward, right?

2016 Mariota can absolutely be an elite level QB if he can stay on the field. It's not his fault he was stuck with a horrible coaching staff his first three seasons. However, if he doesn't take that step forward we expected in 2017, I obviously wouldn't put him up there with Wentz. 

Claiming Mariota's 2016 is as good as Wentz's 2017 is no different than someone saying Mariota sucks because of his 2017 numbers. It's box score scouting and it's bad.

17 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Claiming Mariota's 2016 is as good as Wentz's 2017 is no different than someone saying Mariota sucks because of his 2017 numbers. It's box score scouting and it's bad.

You claimed the only reason their numbers were close was because of Wentz's rookie year struggles. I proved that you were wrong by showing their numbers were similar in year 2 and completely left out Wentz's rookie year.

Don't act like that's box score scouting to try to win a debate when you were proven wrong.

If you've got nothing else to add to argument to support your claim you can just say that. You don't have to try to throw the person with the opposing view for a loop because that's just bad.

Also, there is a complete difference between forming opinions from the box score (what you're implying I did) and using statistics to support a claim. You know this and chose to ignore it because the statistics don't support your viewpoint. 

Edited by TitanSS

14 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

You claimed the only reason their numbers were close was because of Wentz's rookie year struggles. I proved that you were wrong by showing their numbers were similar in year 2 and completely left out Wentz's rookie year.

Don't act like that's box score scouting to try to win a debate when you were proven wrong.

The point was Wentz's jump from year 1 to year 2 was astronomical, and the only reason the numbers are similar over a two year span was because of his rookie struggles. Once Wentz finishes this season, assuming he doesn't suffer any injuries, his numbers over a two year period will look like elite or close to numbers. It was comparing Mariota's 2nd and 3rd years compared to Wentz's first and second.

But as I noted overall, the numbers by themselves aren't indicative of much regardless. Even if you do want to focus on the numbers so badly, if you look at more than just the bulk stats, Mariota's stat line is boosted by the fact that he went on a tear vs some mediocre to downright bad defenses in 2016 with the Colts twice, Dolphins, Browns, Bears, Chargers, Packers(when everyone was beating the Packers that year before Rodgers' "calm down" press conference) and Jags(I think the Chargers were in that too anyway but I might be misremembering). Before that stretch he was pretty up and down, and after that stretch he was poor vs Denver, decent vs KC, and off to a terrible start vs the Jags before his injury.

Which is what you expect from a QB of his caliber. Inconsistent at times, generally decent. Wentz on the other hand, week in, week out more or less, just tearing defenses apart. And looks like he's gonna continue that this year, but it's still early yet.

Edited by TitanLegend

12 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The point was Wentz's jump from year 1 to year 2 was astronomical, and the only reason the numbers are similar over a two year span was because of his rookie struggles. Once Wentz finishes this season, assuming he doesn't suffer any injuries, his numbers over a two year period will look like elite or close to numbers. It was comparing Mariota's 2nd and 3rd years compared to Wentz's first and second.

But as I noted overall, the numbers by themselves aren't indicative of much regardless. Even if you do want to focus on the numbers so badly, if you look at more than just the bulk stats, Mariota's stat line is boosted by the fact that he went on a tear vs some mediocre to downright bad defenses in 2016 with the Colts twice, Dolphins, Browns, Bears, Chargers, Packers(when everyone was beating the Packers that year before Rodgers' "calm down" press conference) and Jags(I think the Chargers were in that too anyway but I might be misremembering). Before that stretch he was pretty up and down, and after that stretch he was poor vs Denver, decent vs KC, and off to a terrible start vs the Jags before his injury.

Which is what you expect from a QB of his caliber. Inconsistent at times, generally decent. Wentz on the other hand, week in, week out more or less, just tearing defenses apart. And looks like he's gonna continue that this year, but it's still early yet.

We will see what Mariota looks like going forward. He did have periods where he struggled where as Wentz really did not last year. Wentz also had a supporting cast and a coaching staff that was good enough to win the Super Bowl without him, while Mariota had Mike Mularkey, Terry Robiskie, and a team that might have won 6 games without him. We all saw how good that offense was with Nick Foles. Do any of us really believe that Foles could have taken over for Mariota in his situation and put up even close to those numbers?

Like I said, if going forward with a good coaching staff and improved weapons around Mariota continues to regularly have those down games, I would remove him from contention, but I'm not going to look at what happened in the past as if it were in a vacuum and both of their situations were equal. That's no better than simply looking at the stats as if they are the sole indicator of success/failure.

Edited by TitanSS

Don’t forget Wentz was clearly the MVP his 2nd year till he got injured. Look all serious I know I give Marcus a hard time but that’s because I’ve seen his best, & at times his decision making has been head scratching to the point it’s where did this come from, because he never was careless wit the ball. Marcus is a solid QB though, but the thing that separates Wentz & Marcus, Wentz can throw Recievers open & he throws wit anticipation. Marcus isn’t there yet he struggles not wit accuracy but throwing a receiver open or wit anticipation that his receiver will be at a certain spot coming out their break. Marcus is the QB throws once he sees you open & that’s why most of his balls be behind the receiver