Greg Lloyd HOF snub

3rivers

Has he ever been nominated to the HOF? How does Darryl Talley get nominated but not Lloyd?  I see other players that don't have these accolades yet are being nominated as well.  Anyone have an explanation as to why?

Career highlights and awards

265781.jpg?b64lines=QUgsIFRIRSBNWVNURVJJ

Seriously, though, I think a guy like Lloyd gets docked points for playing in a system where guys who played his position thrived to the degree that people believe their stats were padded. I definitely think that the subsequent success of guys like Joey Porter and James Harrison played a part in Kevin Greene having to wait a decade to get in, and Lloyd didn't have nearly the sack numbers of those guys.
Also, while I know the PFHOF isn't supposed to take such things into consideration, I have to think his legal issues post-retirement colored some of their thinking.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Seriously, though, I think a guy like Lloyd gets docked points for playing in a system where guys who played his position thrived to the degree that people believe their stats were padded. I definitely think that the subsequent success of guys like Joey Porter and James Harrison played a part in Kevin Greene having to wait a decade to get in, and Lloyd didn't have nearly the sack numbers of those guys.
Also, while I know the PFHOF isn't supposed to take such things into consideration, I have to think his legal issues post-retirement colored some of their thinking.

I understand your points, but why wouldn't he become a nominee while Daryl Talley does? The off field incidents might plays a role, but there are others in the HOF that aren't exactly role models either. 

8 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I understand your points, but why wouldn't he become a nominee while Daryl Talley does? The off field incidents might plays a role, but there are others in the HOF that aren't exactly role models either. 

Lloyd was not exactly good with the PR side of things. He sorta disappeared from the NFL mindshare once he retired. 

Iirc, I remember watching a game around '91 or '92 where Steelers' man-mountain TE Eric Green completely de-cleated Bills' LB Darryl Talley on a block. Might be the most violent block I ever saw. Talley was running full speed and chasing someone towards the sideline and didn't see Green coming back towards the play from further up the field. Tried to find the clip on youtube but don't see it. It was stunning to see Talley's feet come off the ground and reach shoulder height from the block. Ouch. 

46 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

That, I can't answer. Talley always struck me as a good-but-not-great player.

5 hours ago, Starless said:

A few accurate points here regarding why Lloyd wont get in, but in regards to the bolded....

First off, anyone who thinks any of those players were merely system players either know nothing about football or didnt watch them.     The Steelers were just very very good at drafting linebackers for a long time.   Greg Lloyd and James Harrison were dominant players in every phase of the game.    They were always in the QBs face, elite run defenders and at least good in coverage.    Porter wasnt on either of their levels, but last time I checked, he had his best statistical season with the Dolphins.     While the system was good, there were numerous LBs that never really did much.   Harrison and Lloyd were special talents....they just didnt have enough years of sustained dominance to get in.   Harrison has a much better chance than Lloyd, but he probably wont get in either.

Secondly, the Kevin Greene comment is beyond ridiculous.    Kevin Greene had 120+ sacks on OTHER TEAMS.    Anyone who docked him for being a supposed system player with the Steelers is utterly clueless.    He was dominant on every team he played for.

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Because the HOF isn't an exact science, and is instead voted on by sportswriters. 

You have other cases like Morten Anderson getting voted in before Terrell Owens. Or Everson Walls being a finalist over Eric Allen. 

Lloyd isn't even the first linebacker not to get any notice. Karl Mecklenburg and Randy Gradishar have hardly received any attention, and they've arguably had more distinguished careers than Greg Lloyd did. Zach Thomas seems to be the newest guy that is probably going to continued to get snubbed. 

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Because the HOF isn't an exact science, and is instead voted on by sportswriters. 

You have other cases like Morten Anderson getting voted in before Terrell Owens. Or Everson Walls being a finalist over Eric Allen. 

Lloyd isn't even the first linebacker not to get any notice. Karl Mecklenburg and Randy Gradishar have hardly received any attention, and they've arguably had more distinguished careers than Greg Lloyd did. Zach Thomas seems to be the newest guy that is probably going to continued to get snubbed. 

I don't understand the process thats for sure. For those that are interested , it's a suspense and I am not really interested . 

Archived