Mitchell Trubisky's Future

SmittyBacall

On 10/24/2018 at 2:09 PM, Classic said:

When the best coach ever isn't worried about you throwing, I think it's safe to say you're a bad QB. 

Yup because that's exactly what he meant when he said that.... or maybe it's because he's a defensive guy by nature who's coached DB's extensively during his career and prides himself on game planning to take away the deep half of the field...especially when facing off against young and inexperienced QBs?

On 10/24/2018 at 2:14 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

The only time you'll get the truth from Bill is on the field. What's the bet the days leading up to the game he was saying how epic Biscuits is.

Bill does this all the time.  I don't think I've ever heard him saying anything negative about his opponent leading up to a game.  Always likes to butter them up and not give them any bulletin board material.  He's a smart guy.

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

But is it even wrong?

When's its such a big statistical outlier you can't use it to accurately judge his level of play as a whole. It's a misnomer.

Yes, I think it's wrong. It's too small a sample size to be talking about outliers. He's had three games of 100+ rating and three games of sub 80 rating. He wildly inconsistent and still trying to figure things out.

What I've seen from Trubisky - I get to watch him fairly often because I'm in the Chicago market even though I'm a Patriots fan - is that he needs to work on setting his feet more often. When he relies on his arm strength to toss these off-the-back-foot kind of throws, they too often sail high. He needs to either practice those off-balance throws more often to improve his accuracy there, or he needs to focus on setting his feet whenever he can. From what I've seen, there are too many instances where he could have set his feet to throw but just didn't.

While his passer rating is pretty close to that of Goff's and Wentz's second year (see http://pfref.com/tiny/zE2gX), I can't say that I think he is as impressive as those two were in their second years, especially Wentz. But it is still early.

3 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Yes, I think it's wrong. It's too small a sample size to be talking about outliers. He's had three games of 100+ rating and three games of sub 80 rating. He wildly inconsistent and still trying to figure things out.

What I've seen from Trubisky - I get to watch him fairly often because I'm in the Chicago market even though I'm a Patriots fan - is that he needs to work on setting his feet more often. When he relies on his arm strength to toss these off-the-back-foot kind of throws, they too often sail high. He needs to either practice those off-balance throws more often to improve his accuracy there, or he needs to focus on setting his feet whenever he can. From what I've seen, there are too many instances where he could have set his feet to throw but just didn't.

I did watch a lot of that 6 TD game, and on 5 of them they were left wide open. Not to say he can't be good, but he isn't there yet. He's had a couple of good games, but the one in particular inflates his stats considerably.

22 minutes ago, Danger said:

I did watch a lot of that 6 TD game, and on 5 of them they were left wide open. Not to say he can't be good, but he isn't there yet. He's had a couple of good games, but the one in particular inflates his stats considerably.

Actually, identifying missed coverage (ie. pump fake to the screen and then TD to the open receiver) or mismatches (ie. Cohen on a LB) are signs that he has the ability to be very good. Using that as some kind of mark against him is ridiculous and the opposite of what you should be doing.

I agree that he isn't there yet - as I said, he's still very inconsistent and trying to figure things out. Wentz and Goff had their moments of inconsistency last season as well, especially Goff.

22 hours ago, Danger said:

But is it even wrong?

When's its such a big statistical outlier you can't use it to accurately judge his level of play as a whole. It's a misnomer.

Yes it's wrong.  3 of the last 4 games he has a qb rating over 100.  Even without the 6TD performance he is on a pace for 30+ total TDs.  Yes it's a big statistical outlier as is Mahomes 6 TD performance as is Goffs 5 TD performance.  Doesnt make it any less relevant.  As I continue to point out, nobody else has 6 TDs against the Bucs, as bad of a pass defense as they are, and holding it against him that he made the right reads to open throws seems counterproductive to me.  Also there is the fact that he is on pace to smash every franchise single season QB record....as a 2nd year player.  And do it without a 1000 yard rusher or a 1000 yard wr (at current paces).  Oh and maybe add 600 or 700 rushing yards to that as well.  The NE game certainly wasnt great, but it wasnt nearly as bad as some tried making it out to be either.

Archived