Mitchell Trubisky's Future

SmittyBacall

18 hours ago, topwop1 said:

And that's why no one likes threads that try to confirm opinions on what a player is after starting only 18 NFL games in their young career.

Anyone who tries to claim they know what kind of player Trubisky will be 2-3 years from now is full of ****. 

Is this not FootballsFuture? Not FootballsLetsWaitAndSee? Why does this site even exist if we can't express our opinion? My word isn't gospel. I wouldn't get so bent out of shape about it. If you disagree, fine by me. I'm calling it as I see it. 

If you had to give an opinion on the type of QB he'll be in 2-3 years based on what you know - top 10, elite, top 15 etc. - what would it be? "We don't know" isn't a viable answer. 

QB's are fairly judged after a body of work of at least 3 years so I think it's a wee bit premature to say that Trubisky will either be really good, really bad or just average 2-3 years down the line from now.

Stand on that neutral ground all you want. 

So you guys can continue to bump this after every bad or every good game he has, but in reality that all means nothing right now.  Every QB is going to have good and bad games.

You can literally say this about every young player ever. The fact is certain players display traits of former players that are indicative of success and failure in this league. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Is this not on Trubisky to make those changes at the LOS? Does he have that freedom with Nagy? Serious question, not being a pest.

No that is a completely fair question.

From what I have seen it doesn't seem so yet. There was a lot of issues early on when Nagy was trying to run the system the same with Tru in year one that he did with Smith in year 5. Once he scaled back the system they've  been far more productive. 

I've seen him shift the RB and TE for blocking but can't honestly say I know he can change a play yet. I hope so though. We aren't taking advantage of soft coverage when they offer it,  really frustrating. 

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

The last time I checked Darnold was a rookie and Trubisky is in his second year. I more expect Darnold to take his rookie lumps like every QB ever. But this thread isn't about Darnold. 

I actually didn't watch the game because I was watching Bears/Pats. I'll watch it on DAZN and get back to you though.

I don't like this line of thinking.  Darnold started 26 games at USC.  Trubisky started 13 at UNC.  Yes Trubisky had some time at the pro level, but that doesn't mean he's an experienced QB by any stretch, and not to mention his offensive playbook last year consisted of run plays and bubble screens and not much more.

1 minute ago, TankWilliams said:

I don't like this line of thining.  Darnold started 26 games at USC.  Trubisky started 12 at UNC.  Yes Trubisky had some time at the pro level, but that doesn't mean he's an experienced QB by any stretch, and not to mention his offensive playbook last year consisted of run plays and bubble screens and not much more.

The NFL experience doesn't really compare to college. Any rookie will tell you that. The speed is drastically different. Trubisky has had that extra year. He's at an advantage no matter how many starts Darnold had at USC.

Also, how many QBs with as few college starts as Trubisky went on to find NFL success? I can't find any information online. I can't imagine it's a long list.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

The NFL experience doesn't really compare to college. Any rookie will tell you that. The speed is drastically different. Trubisky has had that extra year. He's at an advantage no matter how many starts Darnold had at USC.

Also, how many QBs with as few college starts as Trubisky went on to find NFL success? I can't find any information online. I can't imagine it's a long list.

I'm simply arguing that you cannot make a comparison due to the fact that Trubisky had very little college experience and all he basically had a chance to master as a rookie was the handoff.  I can't speak to your latter question, but even coming off a meh game, Trubisky is definitely having a better year overall than I had anticipated considering his lack of experience.

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

all he basically had a chance to master as a rookie was the handoff.

We both know that's not true.

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm simply arguing that you cannot make a comparison due to the fact that Trubisky had very little college experience

I didn't make the comparison. @topwop1 did. And if it isn't a fair comparison, then what will it take to finally have a fair comparison between the two? How long are we going to treat Trubisky as an inexperienced rookie?

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

We both know that's not true.

I didn't make the comparison. @topwop1 did. And if it isn't a fair comparison, then what will it take to finally have a fair comparison between the two? How long are we going to treat Trubisky as an inexperienced rookie?

Its hyperbole, but closer to true than false.  Anyways, as you've probably seen in this thread, I'm harsher on Trubisky than many.  But I don't think its unfair to say he needs more experience to make that call or to say that last season wasn't really much tangible experience considering his #1 WR was Kendall Wright (last I heard, not on an NFL Roster), and with Foxy and Loggains at the helm. 

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Is this not FootballsFuture? Not FootballsLetsWaitAndSee? Why does this site even exist if we can't express our opinion? My word isn't gospel. I wouldn't get so bent out of shape about it. If you disagree, fine by me. I'm calling it as I see it. 

If you had to give an opinion on the type of QB he'll be in 2-3 years based on what you know - top 10, elite, top 15 etc. - what would it be? "We don't know" isn't a viable answer. 

Stand on that neutral ground all you want. 

You can literally say this about every young player ever. The fact is certain players display traits of former players that are indicative of success and failure in this league. 

I'm not saying you cannot express your opinion, I just think it's ridiculous to come to the conclusion that Mitch won't be the starter of this team by 2020 after only watching 18 of his starts in the NFL.  He's still pretty green and learning on the fly.  Nagy's system isn't exactly easy to learn either.  For instance, Alex Smith, who is known as a pretty intelligent guy said himself that it took a few years for him to completely understand the workings of the offense in KC under Reid. 

You also have to consider that besides Chase Daniel and Trey Burton, this is Mitch's and every other Bears player's first year in this system, unlike the Chiefs with Mahomes, who already sat a full year learning the system under Reid, Nagy and A Smith and who is playing with guys who have been there already for several years already in the same system such as Kelce, Hill, the OL, etc. 

So with that did you ever consider that maybe the reason Mitch might look uncomfortable at times is because there's so much information going through his head at once each time he lines the offense up to snap the ball?  

I just think you are judging him a little prematurely, that's all.  No he's not technically a rookie like Darnlod or Mayfield, but you can't sit there behind your computer screen and really try to convince most knowledgeable football fans that Trubisky starting 12 games in his rookie year under John Fox/Dowell Loggains is a considerable leg up on the two rookies.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@Pool It's ok. If Cinci finishes with 9 wins or below, you get to bump this thread

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/13099-quarter-season-recordseed-predictions/

:ph34r:

Bump away. And actually, it would be 8 wins or below. You had us going 8-8. Can I bump it if you're wrong?

And I asked you to extrapolate. I didn't lambaste your post. Is that so offensive?

21 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Bump away. And actually, it would be 8 wins or below. You had us going 8-8. Can I bump it if you're wrong?

And I asked you to extrapolate. I didn't lambaste your post. Is that so offensive?

Chill man. I will definitely be wrong, did you see that I had JAX at 12-4?! A great example of why predicting things after week 3. 

Really interesting read on the young QBs and the situations they landed in across the NFL

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/25/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-young-quarterbacks/

Summary (21/25)

By next season, we will know exactly who Mitch Trubisky is as a quarterback. He is currently in one of the most ideal situations in the NFL for young passer, yet still playing at a pretty average level in his second season.

Because Trubisky only had one year as a collegiate starter, and last year under John Fox was a train wreck, he deserves the opportunity to continue to grow as a quarterback for at least two seasons under Nagy. His performance this year hasn’t done much to ward off the doubters, and understandably so, but a big leap in year three is not out of the question. The physical and athletic talent is definitely there, but he’s been more raw than expected two years into his career.

Author notes that Mitch landed in a "perfect" situation vs a guy like Rosen in AZ

Archived